Eclipse PlugIn for Windows Explorer

vnssoftware

Is there a Eclipse PlugIn that displays the Resouces in Java
Perspective just like Windows Explorer - that is clicking on folder
and you get files on right hand side instead of just below the
folder....

Happy New Year!

Sudsy

vnssoftware said:
Is there a Eclipse PlugIn that displays the Resouces in Java
Perspective just like Windows Explorer - that is clicking on folder
and you get files on right hand side instead of just below the
folder....

Happy New Year!

Perhaps you could write one yourself? Seriously, why expect that
tools which work on a multitude of platforms should behave in a
manner specific to only one? Despite your familiarity with that
particular platform, not everyone would agree that it's the
"right" way to do things. While a consistent "look and feel" is
an admirable goal, why don't we just standardize on Motif/X11?
Don't expect the rest of the world to revolve around M$.

vnssoftware

Sudsy said:
Perhaps you could write one yourself? Seriously, why expect that
tools which work on a multitude of platforms should behave in a
manner specific to only one? Despite your familiarity with that
particular platform, not everyone would agree that it's the
"right" way to do things. While a consistent "look and feel" is
an admirable goal, why don't we just standardize on Motif/X11?
Don't expect the rest of the world to revolve around M$.

Perhaps the Windows explorer was not the right way to put things. I
want something like that. I am talking about functionality- when you
click on folder you get files displayed on right hand side with
timestamp. Is that better?
I agree M$ concern...but this is from functionality viewpoint in the
form of plugin so everyone doesn't need to install anyway. Now if I
could write myself why would I ask everyone this question.....can you
direct me example plugins that I should see if I had to write this
myself.

Sudsy

vnssoftware said:
Well...Sudsy I don't have that much "time" starting from scratch...
Is there anyone who could point me to a more similar plugin source
code for the functionality I want. Or can anyone point to a commercial
product.

Not to discourage you, but have you heard any other programmers
complain about the file display in Eclipse? It's an "Integrated
Development Environment" and we all adjust to the particular
mechanism used to display the file tree. It's fairly standard
and easy to navigate. So why do you think someone would "re-
invent the wheel"?
I don't know that you're going to find anything out there which
is why I suggested that you write it yourself. Even were you to
do so, I wouldn't expect the world to beat a path to your door
asking for the code. It would seem that you're wedded to a
particular paradigm which most of us can take or leave.
That being said, <http://www.eclipse.org> is still your best
starting point. If someone has written a useful plug-in then
you'll probably find it there. You might have to put on your
miner's hat.... ;-)

Peter =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=FCttner?=

vnssoftware said:
Is there a Eclipse PlugIn that displays the Resouces in Java
Perspective just like Windows Explorer - that is clicking on folder
and you get files on right hand side instead of just below the
folder....

I run the windows explorer for this task.

Use external tools:
---------------------------------------
Location: %YOUR_PATH%\ExplorerStart.exe
Arguments: \e,${project_loc}
---------------------------------------
You may exchange ${project_loc} to fit your needs.
(\e is translated to /e, see below)

'cause my eclipse emits paths separated by '/', and explorer.exe
doesn't find them this way, i have written a samll C-'Programm'
to exchange the path-separator.
You may write your own java application.

Source - it exchanges '\' <-> '/' , so you can have real '/' in
the parameters by using '\'
#include <windows.h>
// compile
// borland: 'bcc32 -W' --> for 'not console' programm (uses WinMain)
// gcc: 'gcc'
#pragma warn -8057 // borland: no warn 'cause of unused parameters

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR
lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow){
char* s;
for(s= lpCmdLine; *s!=0;s++)
if(*s=='/') *s= '\\';
else if(*s=='\\') *s= '/';

ShellExecute(0,NULL, "explorer.exe", lpCmdLine, NULL, nCmdShow);
return 0;

rkm

Sudsy said:
Not to discourage you, but have you heard any other programmers
complain about the file display in Eclipse? It's an "Integrated
Development Environment" and we all adjust to the particular
mechanism used to display the file tree. It's fairly standard
and easy to navigate. So why do you think someone would "re-
invent the wheel"?

sheesh, the OP's just asking a simple question. I didn't
notice any tone of complaint in the request. If anyone
sounds complaining, it's you in your response, complaining
about the desire for such a thing.
I don't know that you're going to find anything out there which
is why I suggested that you write it yourself.

If you don't know, why jump in?
Even were you to
do so, I wouldn't expect the world to beat a path to your door
asking for the code. It would seem that you're wedded to a
particular paradigm which most of us can take or leave.

I didn't hear any suggestion that the world would beat a
path to his/her door.
That being said, <http://www.eclipse.org> is still your best
starting point. If someone has written a useful plug-in then
you'll probably find it there. You might have to put on your
miner's hat.... ;-)

Ah, finally, an answer!

Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Create an 'External Tool' with a location of c:\windows\explorer.exe, and arguments of ${resource_loc}.

To use it, first select a folder and then launch the external tool.

:captain:

Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
pokle said:
Create an 'External Tool' with a location of c:\windows\explorer.exe, and arguments of ${resource_loc}.

To use it, first select a folder and then launch the external tool.

:captain:

Just a little addition, if we add /select before ${resource_loc} then there is no need to select folder any more. Here is the full command
/select, ${resource_loc}