Eclipse plugin to invoke GUI menu option without IDE

imichel

Hello,

I have a 3rd party plugin that is normally triggered by a right-click
option on the eclipse IDE. I'd like to be able to trigger the action
of this right-click option without opening up eclipse. I haven't had
much plugin development experience, but it seems to me like the the
java code assosiated to the plugin needs to be an on API in order for
me to do this. If this were the case I would create a plugin which
points to the appropriate class and invoke methods on it. The API for
this plugin isn't open, so I face a problem of finding an alternate
solution. I am wondering if any one has heard of a plugin that
simulates an IDE click or action as I want to do.

Thanks,

Ian Michel

Oliver Wong

imichel said:
Hello,

I have a 3rd party plugin that is normally triggered by a right-click
option on the eclipse IDE. I'd like to be able to trigger the action
of this right-click option without opening up eclipse. I haven't had
much plugin development experience, but it seems to me like the the
java code assosiated to the plugin needs to be an on API in order for
me to do this. If this were the case I would create a plugin which
points to the appropriate class and invoke methods on it. The API for
this plugin isn't open, so I face a problem of finding an alternate
solution. I am wondering if any one has heard of a plugin that
simulates an IDE click or action as I want to do.

Not sure I understand your question, so I'll paraphrase it, and you can
tell me if I got it right or not, okay?

You've written an plugin for Eclipse, and it works fine within Eclipse.
Now there's some feature of that plugin which you would like to access
without actually running it as an Eclipse plugin. Perhaps you'd like to have
this functionality available from the command line, for example. Is this
correct?

If so, you'd just need to add an entry point (a public static void
main() method) which makes a call to whatever method it is that implements
the desired feature.

- Oliver

Dale King

imichel said:
Hello,

I have a 3rd party plugin that is normally triggered by a right-click
option on the eclipse IDE. I'd like to be able to trigger the action
of this right-click option without opening up eclipse. I haven't had
much plugin development experience, but it seems to me like the the
java code assosiated to the plugin needs to be an on API in order for
me to do this. If this were the case I would create a plugin which
points to the appropriate class and invoke methods on it. The API for
this plugin isn't open, so I face a problem of finding an alternate
solution. I am wondering if any one has heard of a plugin that
simulates an IDE click or action as I want to do.

The plug-in should expose the action as an implementation of the
interface IAction. If you look at the plugin.xml for the plugin you will
likely find the name and details of the action spelled out. You will
have to dig in the platform plug-in developer's guide to learn more.