Eclipse plugins for heap browsing, navigating XML and making classdiagrams

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tom Anderson, Jun 11, 2008.

  1. Tom Anderson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    Hi,

    What i really, really want is an Eclipse plugin (or built-in facility i
    haven't come across) for browsing the heap when debugging. At the moment,
    all i have is the Variables view, which is nice if you're just looking at
    what's happening in the local frame, but gets a bit gnarly if you want to
    wander out into the heap, which i quite often do: you can twist the
    triangles to see objects' fields, and so chase pointers to wherever, but
    right now i'm looking at a field 19 layers down (partly due to a DOM
    implementation which uses a linked list for children - i'm actually
    drilling down to and then through an XML document), Eclipse is not super
    happy about it, and it was an Indiana Jones-style struggle getting there
    in the first place.

    What i'd love is something that draws boxes and arrows, starting with a
    box for 'this' (or the current stack frame) in the middle, with arrows
    radiating out to the immediately pointed-to-objects, and where clicking on
    one of those object would make that one expand into a rosette of
    referents, etc. Plus labels on the boxes showing the class and ID, labels
    on the arrows showing the field name, some way to collapse objects,
    re-centre the view, rearrange the objects, and hide irrelevant pointers,
    and smart handling of things like standard collections, so a Map appears
    as a grid of keys and values, rather than the actual flotilla of objects
    that makes it up (unless i want to see them).

    Does anyone know anything like that?

    The closest thing i know is the wonderful and fairly obscure Heap Analysis
    Tool:

    http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jhat.html

    Which isn't graphical.

    I also want an XML DOM browser plugin, so during debugging i can point at
    a variable that contains an object which implements org.w3c.dom.Node (or,
    ideally, a corresponding DOM4J etc interface) and say "show me the
    structure of this document", and in return get a display that looks like

    html
    head
    title "Gnarly Debugg0r Paeg"
    body
    div id="report"
    initechSpecialSection
    reportType "TPS"

    etc. Anyone know of something like that?

    Lastly, i want a plugin where i can point to a class, probably written by
    someone else, and for which i may not have source or even javadoc, and say
    "draw me a class diagram, like in UML or something, for this class and its
    closest dependents". I'm certain these exist - can anyone recommend a
    particular one?

    tom

    --
    Gens una summus.