[ECLIPSE] [PRIVACY] - Direct Violation of Eclipse Foundations PrivacyPolicy

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ilias Lazaridis, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. [ followup-to: c.l.j.softwaretools ]

    -
    -
    -

    *Statement* (see [1] for full excerpt):

    "This anonymous information is used and analyzed only at an aggregate
    level to help Us understand trends and patterns"

    -

    *Violation*:

    Mike Milinkovich (ex-OSI(IBM), Eclipse Foundation Director):
    "
    1. First, we *are* trying to block Ilias from Bugzilla and the
    newsgroups. [...] So Ilias is correct in saying that we are (so far
    unsuccessfully) attempting to banish him from the site. There are
    various technical reasons why we have been unsuccessful to date.
    "

    source:

    Requesting Community Feedback: Troll Banishment
    http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.foundation/msg00291.html
    http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=294&group=eclipse.foundation

    you need a password to view the eclipse archives:
    http://dev.eclipse.org/newsManager/newsRequestForm.html

    -

    Using data to identify my person or my ISP-region to block my access (or
    the regions access) to the eclipse foundations newsgroup (nntp and
    http-gateway) results in a

    DIRECT VIOLATION OF THE ECLIPSE FOUNDATIONS PRIVACY POLICY

    I ask Mr. Mike Milinkovich (Eclipse Foundation Director) to stop this
    violation [abuse of private data] and to enable immediatly my access to
    the eclipse news-server via nntp/http.

    (Similar message within eclipse.foundation, see [2])

    -

    Some Background:

    [ECLIPSE] [CENSORSHIP] - Mike Milinkovich (Eclipse Foundation Director)
    Censors Forums
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.softwaretools/msg/ff9ba79be816921d

    -

    Silence is Accepting.

    Act Against Censorship on Eclipse Foundations Forums.

    -
    -
    -

    [1]

    Excerpt from the "Eclipse Foundation Privacy Policy"
    "
    Clickstream Data and Cookies

    We sometimes collect anonymous information from visits to this Web site to
    help provide better service. For example, We keep track of the domains
    from which people visit and We also measure visitor activity on
    Eclipse.org, but in ways that keep the information anonymous. This
    anonymous information is sometimes known as "clickstream data." We may
    use this data to analyze trends and statistics and to help us tailor the
    Web site to better serve Eclipse participants.

    Also, when personal data is collected from you in connection with a
    transaction (such as contribution of code or posting to newsgroups) We
    may extract some information about that transaction in an anonymous
    format and combine it with other anonymous information such as
    clickstream data.
    This anonymous information is used and analyzed only at an aggregate
    level to help Us understand trends and patterns.
    "
    source:
    http://www.eclipse.org/legal/privacy.html

    -

    [2]

    a similar message was posted to the eclipse.foundation newsgroup [whilst
    bypassing the IP blocking]:

    [PRIVACY] - Direct Violation of Privacy Policy
    http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.foundation/msg00256.html

    no reaction till now.

    -
    -