Eclipse project path containing a variable (linked resouces?)

Discussion in 'Java' started by rookeenator@gmail.com, May 25, 2007.

    I need to create a project (java or general project) in Eclipse, which
    insists of existing sources. In the creation wizzard I can specify the
    path to these sources. However, I want to use a variable within this
    path, i.e. VAR_DIR\subdir.

    The variable VAR_DIR is defined in Preferences->General->Workspace-
    >Linked Resources.

    Unfortunately Eclipse denies the creation of a project with this path,
    because the path must specify a URI scheme.

    Any suggestions how to get this done?
    Thank you very much in advance.

    Kind regards,
    Andreas
    , May 25, 2007

  2. voorth Guest

    On May 25, 9:11 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to create a project (java or general project) in Eclipse, which
    > insists of existing sources. In the creation wizzard I can specify the
    > path to these sources. However, I want to use a variable within this
    > path, i.e. VAR_DIR\subdir.
    >
    > The variable VAR_DIR is defined in Preferences->General->Workspace-
    >
    > >Linked Resources.

    > Unfortunately Eclipse denies the creation of a project with this path,
    > because the path must specify a URI scheme.
    >
    > Any suggestions how to get this done?
    > Thank you very much in advance.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Andreas

    Create a separate project for each possible value of VAR_DIR.
    Add the output folder you need as class folder in the "libraries" tab
    of the Java Build Path.

    HTH,

    Henk
    voorth, May 25, 2007

    On 25 Mai, 10:07, voorth <> wrote:
    > On May 25, 9:11 am, wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > I need to create a project (java or general project) in Eclipse, which
    > > insists of existing sources. In the creation wizzard I can specify the
    > > path to these sources. However, I want to use a variable within this
    > > path, i.e. VAR_DIR\subdir.

    > > The variable VAR_DIR is defined in Preferences->General->Workspace-

    > > >Linked Resources.

    > > Unfortunately Eclipse denies the creation of a project with this path,
    > > because the path must specify a URI scheme.

    > > Any suggestions how to get this done?
    > > Thank you very much in advance.

    > > Kind regards,
    > > Andreas

    > Create a separate project for each possible value of VAR_DIR.
    > Add the output folder you need as class folder in the "libraries" tab
    > of the Java Build Path.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Henk

    Thanks for your reply. But I think that not really solves my problem.
    I think further information will help:
    I have a set of projects (~20) with individual preferences. The java
    source files of all of these projects are located in a particular
    folder in the file system, i.e. "C:\myFiles\". The subfolders are as
    follows: "C:\myFiles\project1files", "C:\myFiles\project2files" and so
    on...
    Now I want to transfer all these files to another computer, so I copy
    the eclipse workspace containing the project configuration and all of
    the source files. But now the source files shall be located in i.e. "C:
    \anotherDirectoy\".
    That's why I thought a variable VAR_DIR would be advantageous, which
    can be set to the base directory.

    Any hints?

    Thank you very much.
    Andreas
    , May 29, 2007

    On 29 Mai, 08:23, wrote:
    > On 25 Mai, 10:07, voorth <> wrote:
    >

    > > On May 25, 9:11 am, wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > I need to create a project (java or general project) in Eclipse, which
    > > > insists of existing sources. In the creation wizzard I can specify the
    > > > path to these sources. However, I want to use a variable within this
    > > > path, i.e. VAR_DIR\subdir.

    > > > The variable VAR_DIR is defined in Preferences->General->Workspace-

    > > > Unfortunately Eclipse denies the creation of a project with this path,
    > > > because the path must specify a URI scheme.

    > > > Any suggestions how to get this done?
    > > > Thank you very much in advance.

    > > > Kind regards,
    > > > Andreas

    > > Create a separate project for each possible value of VAR_DIR.
    > > Add the output folder you need as class folder in the "libraries" tab
    > > of the Java Build Path.

    > > HTH,

    > > Henk

    > Thanks for your reply. But I think that not really solves my problem.
    > I think further information will help:
    > I have a set of projects (~20) with individual preferences. The java
    > source files of all of these projects are located in a particular
    > folder in the file system, i.e. "C:\myFiles\". The subfolders are as
    > follows: "C:\myFiles\project1files", "C:\myFiles\project2files" and so
    > on...
    > Now I want to transfer all these files to another computer, so I copy
    > the eclipse workspace containing the project configuration and all of
    > the source files. But now the source files shall be located in i.e. "C:
    > \anotherDirectoy\".
    > That's why I thought a variable VAR_DIR would be advantageous, which
    > can be set to the base directory.
    >
    > Any hints?
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    > Andreas