    Hello?

    --
    Jim Janney
    Jim Janney, May 12, 2011

  2. In message <>, Jim Janney wrote:

    > The default spell checker in Eclipse doesn't think plugin is a word.
    > OK, I can kind of see that. But it doesn't like registry either.
    > Hello?

    Submit a patch.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 13, 2011

  3. Thu, 12 May 2011 13:42:42 -0600, /Jim Janney/:

    > The default spell checker in Eclipse doesn't think plugin is a word.
    > OK, I can kind of see that. But it doesn't like registry either.
    > Hello?

    Just add the words to your user dictionary.

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, May 14, 2011
  4. Jim Janney

    Jim Janney Guest

    Stanimir Stamenkov <> writes:

    > Thu, 12 May 2011 13:42:42 -0600, /Jim Janney/:
    >
    >> The default spell checker in Eclipse doesn't think plugin is a word.
    >> OK, I can kind of see that. But it doesn't like registry either.
    >> Hello?

    > Just add the words to your user dictionary.

    Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
    misspellings.

    --
    Jim Janney
    Jim Janney, May 15, 2011
  5. Sun, 15 May 2011 11:12:14 -0600, /Jim Janney/:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov <...> writes:

    Please don't include email address in attributions.

    >> Just add the words to your user dictionary.

    > Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    > registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
    > misspellings.

    I don't think the dictionary itself is a product of Eclipse.

    --
    Stanimir
    Stanimir Stamenkov, May 15, 2011
  6. In message <>, Jim Janney wrote:

    > I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    > registry-based plugin architecture ...

    I take it this is a Windows thing?

    Eclipse doesn’t just run on Windows, you know.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 16, 2011
  7. Jim Janney

    Lew Guest

    > In message<>, Jim Janney wrote:
    >
    >> I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    >> registry-based plugin architecture ...

    > I take it this is a Windows thing?

    That's not inferrable from the conversation so far, no. He's using the spell
    check that runs in every platform that Eclipse supports.

    > Eclipse doesn’t just run on Windows, you know.

    Yeah, so? That doesn't alter Jim's point a jot, you know.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, May 16, 2011
  8. Jim Janney

    Jim Janney Guest

    Stanimir Stamenkov <> writes:

    > Sun, 15 May 2011 11:12:14 -0600, /Jim Janney/:
    >> Stanimir Stamenkov <...> writes:

    > Please don't include email address in attributions.

    Your address is already in the From: header. If you're worried about
    spam, you'll accomplish more by obfuscating it there.

    >>> Just add the words to your user dictionary.

    >> Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    >> registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
    >> misspellings.

    > I don't think the dictionary itself is a product of Eclipse.

    It's part of the Eclipse distribution. I don't know the original
    provenance.

    --
    Jim Janney,
    Jim Janney, May 16, 2011
  9. Jim Janney

    Lew Guest

    On 05/16/2011 10:51 AM, Jim Janney wrote:
    > Stanimir Stamenkov<> writes:
    >
    >> Sun, 15 May 2011 11:12:14 -0600, /Jim Janney/:
    >>> Stanimir Stamenkov<...> writes:

    >> Please don't include email address in attributions.

    > Your address is already in the From: header. If you're worried about
    > spam, you'll accomplish more by obfuscating it there.

    >>> Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    >>> registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
    >>> misspellings.

    >> I don't think the dictionary itself is a product of Eclipse.

    > It's part of the Eclipse distribution. I don't know the original
    > provenance.

    It is part of the Eclipse product, therefore it's a product of Eclipse. Duh.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, May 16, 2011
  10. Jim Janney

    Lew Guest

    <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/plugin>

    > What is really fun is how NetBeans looks more and more like Eclipse
    > every release.

    Nah.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 17, 2011
  11. Jim Janney

    Jim Janney Guest

    jebblue <> writes:

    > On Sun, 15 May 2011 11:12:14 -0600, Jim Janney wrote:
    >
    >> Stanimir Stamenkov <> writes:
    >>
    >>> Thu, 12 May 2011 13:42:42 -0600, /Jim Janney/:

    >>> Just add the words to your user dictionary.

    >> Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    >> registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
    >> misspellings.

    > Plug-in is hyphenated. Plugin is not a word. Why is that surprising.

    One can argue whether it's a word, but it's definitely not a
    misspelling: many things that are not words are also not misspellings.
    And I didn't say surprising, only amusing, although I will plead guilty
    to being easily amused at times.

    --
    Jim Janney
    Jim Janney, May 17, 2011
  12. Jim Janney

    Jim Janney Guest

    Jim Janney <> writes:

    > jebblue <> writes:

    >>> Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
    >>> registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
    >>> misspellings.

    >> Plug-in is hyphenated. Plugin is not a word. Why is that surprising.

    > One can argue whether it's a word, but it's definitely not a
    > misspelling: many things that are not words are also not misspellings.
    > And I didn't say surprising, only amusing, although I will plead guilty
    > to being easily amused at times.

    Now that I look carefully at the Eclipse documentation, I see they are
    consistent in spelling it plug-in.

    That's very different. Never mind :)

    --
    Jim Janney
    Jim Janney, May 17, 2011
  13. Jim Janney

    Lew Guest

    On 05/17/2011 11:40 AM, Jim Janney wrote:
    > Jim Janney<> writes:
    >
    >> jebblue<> writes:

    >>> Plug-in is hyphenated. Plugin is not a word. Why is that surprising.

    >> One can argue whether it's a word, but it's definitely not a
    >> misspelling: many things that are not words are also not misspellings.
    >> And I didn't say surprising, only amusing, although I will plead guilty
    >> to being easily amused at times.

    > Now that I look carefully at the Eclipse documentation, I see they are
    > consistent in spelling it plug-in.
    >
    > That's very different. Never mind :)

    "Plugin" exists in the wild, and is documented by some as an alternate
    spelling. Within a couple of years, I predict, it will be widely accepted,
    just as "resume" is for "résumé" today, and for the same reason.

    Loss of the hyphen to become a true compound word is an historically frequent
    occurrence.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    Lew, May 17, 2011
  14. OT: Re: Eclipse spell checker omissions

    On 17/05/2011 16:53, Lew wrote:

    > "Plugin" exists in the wild, and is documented by some as an alternate
    > spelling. Within a couple of years, I predict, it will be widely
    > accepted, just as "resume" is for "résumé" today, and for the same reason.
    >
    > Loss of the hyphen to become a true compound word is an historically
    > frequent occurrence.

    The day co-operative and coöperative became cooperative, did coopers?

    --
    RGB
    RedGrittyBrick, May 17, 2011
  15. Jim Janney

    Lew Guest

    Re: OT: Re: Eclipse spell checker omissions

    RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> "Plugin" exists in the wild, and is documented by some as an alternate
    >> spelling. Within a couple of years, I predict, it will be widely
    >> accepted, just as "resume" is for "résumé" today, and for the same reason.
    >>
    >> Loss of the hyphen to become a true compound word is an historically
    >> frequent occurrence.

    > The day co-operative and coöperative became cooperative, did coopers?

    No, they were coopted.

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.