Eclipse spell checker omissions

Jim Janney

The default spell checker in Eclipse doesn't think plugin is a word.
OK, I can kind of see that. But it doesn't like registry either.
Hello?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The default spell checker in Eclipse doesn't think plugin is a word.
OK, I can kind of see that. But it doesn't like registry either.
Hello?

Submit a patch.

Stanimir Stamenkov

Thu, 12 May 2011 13:42:42 -0600, /Jim Janney/:
The default spell checker in Eclipse doesn't think plugin is a word.
OK, I can kind of see that. But it doesn't like registry either.
Hello?

Just add the words to your user dictionary.

Jim Janney

Stanimir Stamenkov said:
Thu, 12 May 2011 13:42:42 -0600, /Jim Janney/:

Just add the words to your user dictionary.

Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
misspellings.

Stanimir Stamenkov

Sun, 15 May 2011 11:12:14 -0600, /Jim Janney/:
Stanimir Stamenkov <...> writes:

Please don't include email address in attributions.
Of course. I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
registry-based plugin architecture, would flag these words as possible
misspellings.

I don't think the dictionary itself is a product of Eclipse.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

I just found it amusing that Eclipse, well-known for its
registry-based plugin architecture ...

I take it this is a Windows thing?

Eclipse doesn’t just run on Windows, you know.

Lew

I take it this is a Windows thing?

That's not inferrable from the conversation so far, no. He's using the spell
check that runs in every platform that Eclipse supports.
Eclipse doesn’t just run on Windows, you know.

Yeah, so? That doesn't alter Jim's point a jot, you know.

Jim Janney

Stanimir Stamenkov said:
Sun, 15 May 2011 11:12:14 -0600, /Jim Janney/:

Please don't include email address in attributions.

Your address is already in the From: header. If you're worried about
spam, you'll accomplish more by obfuscating it there.
I don't think the dictionary itself is a product of Eclipse.

It's part of the Eclipse distribution. I don't know the original
provenance.

Lew

Your address is already in the From: header. If you're worried about
spam, you'll accomplish more by obfuscating it there.

It's part of the Eclipse distribution. I don't know the original
provenance.

It is part of the Eclipse product, therefore it's a product of Eclipse. Duh.

Jim Janney

jebblue said:
Plug-in is hyphenated. Plugin is not a word. Why is that surprising.

One can argue whether it's a word, but it's definitely not a
misspelling: many things that are not words are also not misspellings.
And I didn't say surprising, only amusing, although I will plead guilty
to being easily amused at times.

Jim Janney

Jim Janney said:
One can argue whether it's a word, but it's definitely not a
misspelling: many things that are not words are also not misspellings.
And I didn't say surprising, only amusing, although I will plead guilty
to being easily amused at times.

Now that I look carefully at the Eclipse documentation, I see they are
consistent in spelling it plug-in.

That's very different. Never mind :)

Lew

Now that I look carefully at the Eclipse documentation, I see they are
consistent in spelling it plug-in.

That's very different. Never mind :)

"Plugin" exists in the wild, and is documented by some as an alternate
spelling. Within a couple of years, I predict, it will be widely accepted,
just as "resume" is for "résumé" today, and for the same reason.

Loss of the hyphen to become a true compound word is an historically frequent
occurrence.

RedGrittyBrick

"Plugin" exists in the wild, and is documented by some as an alternate
spelling. Within a couple of years, I predict, it will be widely
accepted, just as "resume" is for "résumé" today, and for the same reason.

Loss of the hyphen to become a true compound word is an historically
frequent occurrence.

The day co-operative and coöperative became cooperative, did coopers?