Eclipse Visual Editor

Discussion in 'Java' started by Erik Danielsson, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Hi!

    I've just downloaded the Eclipse Visual Editor
    (http://www.eclipse.org/vep/) and I was very disappointed. It seems
    from what I read that when you edit a Swing component they start a
    second Java virtual machine. Then they use RMI or something to talk
    between the editor and the component, and my machine just goes crazy.
    As soon as I touch or resize anything in the editor my firewall (Zone
    Alarm) has a lot of data going throught it and it is s..o...o
    s..l..o..w.... It makes NetBeans look like a space ship in warp speed,
    and it's absolutley impossible to use.

    My suggestions are:
    1) Either this is the most stupid invention anybody ever came up with
    or...
    2) There is something wrong with the TCP/IP settings in my Winblowz
    ME.

    Does anybody know where and if I can change the TCP/IP settings so he
    doesn't go out on the Internet all the time even when I use
    'localhost'? I'm not sure however that this is the fact, since I
    disconnected my network cable and the editor still works, but slow. I
    also shut down Zone Alarm to see if it was any faster, and perhaps it
    was a little bit, but not much.

    I used to like Eclipse before, but now I don't know. Is it my machine
    or what? At work I tried the WSAD visual editor and it was not slower
    than the rest of WSAD.

    /Erik D

    Erik Danielsson, Dec 13, 2003

  2. "Erik Danielsson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I've just downloaded the Eclipse Visual Editor

    <SNIP>

    > My suggestions are:
    > 1) Either this is the most stupid invention anybody ever
    > came up with
    > or...

    Can't comment - never used it.

    > 2) There is something wrong with the TCP/IP settings in
    > my Winblowz ME.

    Or an 'undocumeted' Windows feature :) !

    > Does anybody know where and if I can change the
    > TCP/IP settings so he doesn't go out on the Internet
    > all the time even when I use 'localhost'? I'm not sure
    > however that this is the fact, since I disconnected my
    > network cable and the editor still works, but slow. I
    > also shut down Zone Alarm to see if it was any faster,
    > and perhaps it was a little bit, but not much.
    >
    > I used to like Eclipse before, but now I don't know.
    > Is it my machine or what? At work I tried the WSAD
    > visual editor and it was not slower than the rest of
    > WSAD.

    Not sure if the following will help:

    I recall there being problems with the Winsock implementation [?] on Win9x
    platforms whereby an attempt to access even a local address would see a DNS
    lookup performed, and a consequent attempt to dial the ISP to connect to
    Internet-connect.

    The remedy was to ensure DNS lookup was avoided by ensuring all required
    local addresses appeared in the HOSTS file [this file is normally checked
    first before a DNS lookup is performed].

    To edit this file, and ensure that all local addresses [and their mapped
    names] appear here, look in your C:\WINDOWS directory for 'hosts'; there is
    also a 'hosts.sam' ['.sam' for 'sample'] which contains explanations about
    layout requirements.

    Entries you'd certainly need include:

    127.0.0.1 localhost otheralias
    192.168.0.x localhost otheralias

    I hope this helps.

    Anthony Borla

    Anthony Borla, Dec 13, 2003

  3. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:42:34 GMT, "Anthony Borla"
    <> wrote:

    >"Erik Danielsson" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I've just downloaded the Eclipse Visual Editor
    >>

    ><SNIP>
    >>
    >> My suggestions are:
    >> 1) Either this is the most stupid invention anybody ever
    >> came up with
    >> or...
    >>

    >Can't comment - never used it.
    >
    >> 2) There is something wrong with the TCP/IP settings in
    >> my Winblowz ME.
    >>

    >Not sure if the following will help:
    >
    >I recall there being problems with the Winsock implementation [?] on Win9x
    >platforms whereby an attempt to access even a local address would see a DNS
    >lookup performed, and a consequent attempt to dial the ISP to connect to
    >Internet-connect.
    >
    >The remedy was to ensure DNS lookup was avoided by ensuring all required
    >local addresses appeared in the HOSTS file [this file is normally checked
    >first before a DNS lookup is performed].
    >
    >To edit this file, and ensure that all local addresses [and their mapped
    >names] appear here, look in your C:\WINDOWS directory for 'hosts'; there is
    >also a 'hosts.sam' ['.sam' for 'sample'] which contains explanations about
    >layout requirements.
    >
    >Entries you'd certainly need include:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost otheralias
    > 192.168.0.x localhost otheralias
    >
    >I hope this helps.
    >
    >Anthony Borla

    Thank you! It got better. Now it's almost tolerable to use for
    experimentation purposes, but still much slower than NetBeans and
    nothing I would use professionally. I guess since this is version
    0.5.0 it's better to wait for version 1.0. Anybody else had any
    experience with the Eclipse Visual Editor? Should they keep using this
    RMI-connection in the editor?

    /Erik D

    Erik Danielsson, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Erik Danielsson

    Bob X Guest

    Windows ME should never have happened.

    Bob X, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Erik Danielsson

    nos Guest

    for me i just set zone alarm to block access to internet
    and it works fine

    nos, Dec 13, 2003
  6. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:38:19 GMT, "nos" <> wrote:
    Hi!

    It's been Christmas, and then I started testing some J2EE-stuff, but
    now I'm back at looking at Eclipse Visual Editor again. I'm afraid I
    don't understand what you mean by 'block access to internet'. I tried
    engaging the Internet Lock in Zone Alarm, but then I can't create a
    new file in the VE. It gets a nullpointer exception. If I first create
    the file and then engage he lock I can't place any components on the
    JFrame. Also giving JAVAW all permissions in Zone Alarm just means
    that I don't have to confirm Zone Alarm for every fith action I do,
    but it still takes just as long time, and I don't feel comfortable
    about letting any Java program access internet or act like a server
    without me knowing about it. Could you or someone else who tried and
    succeeded explain a bit more please?

    Also when I left the computer for a while and the screen 'went to
    sleep', when I came back again it said that the Virtual Machine had
    closed prematurely, and then the VE had lost all information about the
    components on the JFrame, although the code was intact and the class
    was saved. This seems to me not only as a beta-release, but pre-alpha
    instead. Is there a forum where you can give feedback to the
    Eclipse-project, because I certainly think this JVM/JNDI-connection
    thing sucks.

    /Erik D

    Erik Danielsson, Jan 14, 2004
  7. (Sorry if message is already posted, but I suspect my Internet
    provider didn't send it correctly the first time)

    Erik Danielsson, Jan 16, 2004