Eclipse Visual Editor

Erik Danielsson

Hi!

I've just downloaded the Eclipse Visual Editor
(http://www.eclipse.org/vep/) and I was very disappointed. It seems
from what I read that when you edit a Swing component they start a
second Java virtual machine. Then they use RMI or something to talk
between the editor and the component, and my machine just goes crazy.
As soon as I touch or resize anything in the editor my firewall (Zone
Alarm) has a lot of data going throught it and it is s..o...o
s..l..o..w.... It makes NetBeans look like a space ship in warp speed,
and it's absolutley impossible to use.

My suggestions are:
1) Either this is the most stupid invention anybody ever came up with
or...
2) There is something wrong with the TCP/IP settings in my Winblowz
ME.

Does anybody know where and if I can change the TCP/IP settings so he
doesn't go out on the Internet all the time even when I use
'localhost'? I'm not sure however that this is the fact, since I
disconnected my network cable and the editor still works, but slow. I
also shut down Zone Alarm to see if it was any faster, and perhaps it
was a little bit, but not much.

I used to like Eclipse before, but now I don't know. Is it my machine
or what? At work I tried the WSAD visual editor and it was not slower
than the rest of WSAD.

/Erik D

Anthony Borla

Erik Danielsson said:
Hi!

I've just downloaded the Eclipse Visual Editor
My suggestions are:
1) Either this is the most stupid invention anybody ever
came up with
or...

Can't comment - never used it.
2) There is something wrong with the TCP/IP settings in
my Winblowz ME.

Or an 'undocumeted' Windows feature :) !
Does anybody know where and if I can change the
TCP/IP settings so he doesn't go out on the Internet
all the time even when I use 'localhost'? I'm not sure
however that this is the fact, since I disconnected my
network cable and the editor still works, but slow. I
also shut down Zone Alarm to see if it was any faster,
and perhaps it was a little bit, but not much.

I used to like Eclipse before, but now I don't know.
Is it my machine or what? At work I tried the WSAD
visual editor and it was not slower than the rest of
WSAD.

Not sure if the following will help:

I recall there being problems with the Winsock implementation [?] on Win9x
platforms whereby an attempt to access even a local address would see a DNS
lookup performed, and a consequent attempt to dial the ISP to connect to
Internet-connect.

The remedy was to ensure DNS lookup was avoided by ensuring all required
local addresses appeared in the HOSTS file [this file is normally checked
first before a DNS lookup is performed].

To edit this file, and ensure that all local addresses [and their mapped
names] appear here, look in your C:\WINDOWS directory for 'hosts'; there is
also a 'hosts.sam' ['.sam' for 'sample'] which contains explanations about
layout requirements.

Entries you'd certainly need include:

127.0.0.1 localhost otheralias
192.168.0.x localhost otheralias

I hope this helps.

Anthony Borla

Erik Danielsson

Erik Danielsson said:
[...]

Thank you! It got better. Now it's almost tolerable to use for
experimentation purposes, but still much slower than NetBeans and
nothing I would use professionally. I guess since this is version
0.5.0 it's better to wait for version 1.0. Anybody else had any
experience with the Eclipse Visual Editor? Should they keep using this
RMI-connection in the editor?

/Erik D

Erik Danielsson

Hi!

It's been Christmas, and then I started testing some J2EE-stuff, but
now I'm back at looking at Eclipse Visual Editor again. I'm afraid I
don't understand what you mean by 'block access to internet'. I tried
engaging the Internet Lock in Zone Alarm, but then I can't create a
new file in the VE. It gets a nullpointer exception. If I first create
the file and then engage he lock I can't place any components on the
JFrame. Also giving JAVAW all permissions in Zone Alarm just means
that I don't have to confirm Zone Alarm for every fith action I do,
but it still takes just as long time, and I don't feel comfortable
about letting any Java program access internet or act like a server
without me knowing about it. Could you or someone else who tried and
succeeded explain a bit more please?

Also when I left the computer for a while and the screen 'went to
sleep', when I came back again it said that the Virtual Machine had
closed prematurely, and then the VE had lost all information about the
components on the JFrame, although the code was intact and the class
was saved. This seems to me not only as a beta-release, but pre-alpha
instead. Is there a forum where you can give feedback to the
Eclipse-project, because I certainly think this JVM/JNDI-connection
thing sucks.

/Erik D

Erik Danielsson

(Sorry if message is already posted, but I suspect my Internet
provider didn't send it correctly the first time)