Eclipse vs NetBeans vs Jbuilder under Linux

Discussion in 'Java' started by Derek Clarkson, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Hello everyone,
    I've tried the above 3 IDEs in the last year and thought I might make some
    comments and ask for your thoughts. Just for interest sake and please don't
    start a Holy War ;-)

    I originally used netBeans for development, but switched over to Jbuilder
    because we where doing tomcat/struts development and my boss said it had
    better support. I didn't really get to use netBeans struts stuff but it did
    seem a bit weak in comparision.

    I would have thought Borland would have a great editor, but I find it very
    buggy in comparison to netBeans. Some of the things I have had problems
    with include the cursor not being moved when you click in the text area
    (this tends to screw up click and drag rearrangement of text or do it when
    you don't mean too), auto-formatting of code rearranging it until it won't
    compile, method parameter popups not always accessable, method parameter
    popups not able to show the names of parameters - only the type, and some
    others I can't remember right now.

    However, the struts support in JBuilder does seem to be better than netBeans
    and runs quite well. Over all the IDE also seems a little quicker and I
    quite like the way that you can have multiple projects open and flip
    between then with ease. netBeans doesn't seem to handle multiple projects
    as smoothly as JBuilder.

    I also tried Eclipse at home a couple of time in the last 6 months and at
    the moment I can't see why many people are using it. On both occasions I
    found also sorts of nasty bugs which tended to simple drive me nuts. The
    last time time I used it for example, I found that it would not run the
    code I had just edited. I.e. if I could load a project, made some changes
    and hit the run button, it would run the code without the changes included.
    In order to get the changes it, I had to explicitly do a save before each
    run. This sounds trivial but can get very annoying, both netBeans and
    JBuilder run the code you are editing, not the last saved code.

    Eclipse also seemed to have a strange concept of projects. It looked rather
    good with being able to see multiple project trees at the same time until
    it came to running them. Then it appeared to separate the concept of
    running a projects from the projects themselves and I had to effectively
    re-setup again. I also found that if I had en error in one project, it
    would fail the compile even if I was in another project. So whilst I could
    have multiple projects open at a single time, it seemed to have trouble
    understanding which projects I was in and what it was to compile. This
    resulted in me having to unload/reload projects on a regular basis. I also
    remember not being that happy with it's editor either, I can't remember
    exactly why right now.

    So, I would have to say that at the moment, I would tend to use netBeans for
    general development, JBuilder for struts and Eclipse not at all.

    --
    cio
    Derek
    Derek Clarkson, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Derek Clarkson

    Sudsy Guest

    Derek Clarkson wrote:
    <big snip>
    > So, I would have to say that at the moment, I would tend to use netBeans for
    > general development, JBuilder for struts and Eclipse not at all.

    While I have complained a tad about the behaviour of Eclipse, I admit
    to seeing great potential as well. If it can evolve to the "bulletproof"
    level then using it can certainly shave development time. It also works
    well with Struts, once you get it figured out.
    I'm not generally big on IDEs and I already have my own tools for
    generating EJBs, etc. but the Eclipse/XDoclet/JBoss combination makes
    for a powerful applications development platform. A bit more maturity
    and it'll be ready for "prime time".
    Sudsy, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Derek Clarkson

    Tim Ward Guest

    "Derek Clarkson" <> wrote in message

    > both netBeans and
    > JBuilder run the code you are editing, not the last saved code.

    Well, NetBeans does this quite often, but nowhere near always - if you edit
    something and your application doesn't seem to behave any differently look
    first to see whether the change actually got compiled before you worry about
    whether you coded the change wrongly.

    --
    Tim Ward
    Tim Ward, Dec 16, 2003