Eclipse won't let me create a Dynamic Web Project

Discussion in 'Java' started by Aaron, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Hi

    I've installed Eclipse Version: 3.2.0 (Build id: M20060629-1905) onto
    WinXP
    I've imported Web Standard Tools v1.0.1 (including all the prerequisite
    plugins)

    I'm trying to create a new "Dynamic Web Project", but the only option I
    see in the Project Explorer is "Static Web Project". Why can't I see
    that option?

    Checking the WTP FAQ, it says:

    WTP 0.7 works with Eclipse 3.1.
    WTP 1.0 supports Eclipse 3.1.x.
    WTP 1.5 is planned for Eclipse 3.2.

    Does this mean my Eclipse 3.2 is incompatible with the plugins I
    installed??

    Help!!!

    - Aaron H.
    Aaron, Sep 8, 2006

  2. You'd be better off installing the bundle than figuring out the
    dependencies!

    http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/do...all-in-one-sdk-R-1.5.0-200606281455-win32.zip

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Sep 8, 2006

  3. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Manish Pandit wrote:
    > You'd be better off installing the bundle than figuring out the
    > dependencies!
    >
    > http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/do...all-in-one-sdk-R-1.5.0-200606281455-win32.zip
    >
    > -cheers,
    > Manish

    Hi Manish

    Actually I did install the bundle, and when it told me to install
    dependencies first, I did so. Everything seemed to go well. Although...
    the link you've provided is for version 1.5.0 and I installed 1.0.1 so
    perhaps I'll replace the one I have with the link you've provided. I'll
    try that when I get home tonight - thanks!

    Aa
    Aaron, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Hi again

    I've upgraded to SWT 1.5 but I still can't see any way to open a
    Dynamic Web Project.

    And now I have another dilemma. I upgraded my JDKSE from Release 7 to
    Release 8 and now Eclipse won't load! Any ideas?

    Aa

    Aaron, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Here's some more info about the error message I'm getting when I try to
    load Eclipse:

    Root exception:
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/runtime/Plugin

    My theory: I just installed the latest jdk1.5.0_08 and I think it
    deleted the bin directory of my jre1.5.0_07, which Eclipse was
    configured to use!
    How can I change which Java runtime to point to without actually
    running Eclipse?

    Aa

    Aaron, Sep 12, 2006
  6. Hi There,

    You can try java -jar startup.jar in eclipse root folder. This jar file
    has a Main class that bootstraps eclipse.

    You can also ensure that java in your path is the one you wanna use.
    Wish windows had a 'which' clone out of the box :)

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Sep 12, 2006
  7. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Hi Manish

    So you're saying I can open a new CMD window, change directory to my
    Eclipse directory, and type java -jar startup.jar and that may fix my
    problem?

    I will try this tonight, but please confirm that I am understanding.

    Aa

    Aaron, Sep 12, 2006
  8. Yep - thats correct. Before you do so, do a java -version in the
    command window and check if the java in your path is the same you
    intend to start eclipse with.

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Sep 12, 2006
  9. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Hi

    So I've got Eclipse working again! I re-installed my JDK 1.5.0 and JRE
    1.5.0... and this time everything came together nicely - the default
    JRE now matches my environment variables. I've got what might be a web
    project open... I'm not entirely sure. It's letting me edit my JSP
    file, but I'm suspicious because it's not giving me any context help
    for my scriptlets. It still won't allow me to create a new project as a
    Dynamic Web Project, only a Static one.

    argh....

    Aa

    Aaron, Sep 13, 2006
  10. Hi there!

    Glad you got eclipse up and going. I have not seen JSP autocomplete
    either - it did work when I installed the BEA plugin for web
    development. Are you seeing syntax highlighting or is it plain black
    and white? Coz you should be seeing syntax highlighting, and any
    taglibs and HTML should autocomplete (like <h1>, <c:if> <c:choose> or
    <struts:html>...). The java code within the scriptlet tags never
    autocompleted for me.

    Best of luck!

    -cheers,
    Manish
    Manish Pandit, Sep 13, 2006
  11. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Hi Manish

    I am getting syntax highlighting.

    I have tried to see if autocomplete works in a case like this: <form
    action="" method=""> where I tried to generate a dropdown list of form
    attributes, but nothing happened. Scriptlets, also nothing.

    I went into a java class file and tried to get context help with
    classes and objects, and it actually generated an error message stating
    that there was a problem with one of the eclipse modules. .JDP or .JDF
    or something...

    I still don't see an option for Dynamic Web Project - do you?

    Is BEA plugin free?

    Aa

    Aaron, Sep 13, 2006
  12. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    Hi again, Manish

    Before I head home I wanted to send you another update. All of these
    Eclipse issues have been occurring at home (this is a personal
    project). So I decided to install Eclipse at work and see if the same
    problem occurs. I downloaded Eclipse, the three WTP prerequisites, then
    WTP itself and presto, I see see Dynamic Web Projects! Also, I seem to
    be getting code completion in my scriptlets (something you have to
    press CTRL - SPACE).

    So now I'm going to try it again at home and see if my luck holds!

    Aa

    Aaron, Sep 13, 2006