Eclipse won't let me create a Dynamic Web Project

Aaron

Hi

I've installed Eclipse Version: 3.2.0 (Build id: M20060629-1905) onto
WinXP
I've imported Web Standard Tools v1.0.1 (including all the prerequisite
plugins)

I'm trying to create a new "Dynamic Web Project", but the only option I
see in the Project Explorer is "Static Web Project". Why can't I see
that option?

Checking the WTP FAQ, it says:

WTP 0.7 works with Eclipse 3.1.
WTP 1.0 supports Eclipse 3.1.x.
WTP 1.5 is planned for Eclipse 3.2.

Does this mean my Eclipse 3.2 is incompatible with the plugins I
installed??

Help!!!

- Aaron H.

Aaron

Manish said:
You'd be better off installing the bundle than figuring out the
dependencies!

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/do...all-in-one-sdk-R-1.5.0-200606281455-win32.zip

-cheers,
Manish

Hi Manish

Actually I did install the bundle, and when it told me to install
dependencies first, I did so. Everything seemed to go well. Although...
the link you've provided is for version 1.5.0 and I installed 1.0.1 so
perhaps I'll replace the one I have with the link you've provided. I'll
try that when I get home tonight - thanks!

Aa

Aaron

Hi again

I've upgraded to SWT 1.5 but I still can't see any way to open a
Dynamic Web Project.

And now I have another dilemma. I upgraded my JDKSE from Release 7 to
Release 8 and now Eclipse won't load! Any ideas?

Aa

Aaron

Here's some more info about the error message I'm getting when I try to
load Eclipse:

Root exception:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/runtime/Plugin

My theory: I just installed the latest jdk1.5.0_08 and I think it
deleted the bin directory of my jre1.5.0_07, which Eclipse was
configured to use!
How can I change which Java runtime to point to without actually
running Eclipse?

Aa

Manish Pandit

Hi There,

You can try java -jar startup.jar in eclipse root folder. This jar file
has a Main class that bootstraps eclipse.

You can also ensure that java in your path is the one you wanna use.
Wish windows had a 'which' clone out of the box :)

-cheers,
Manish

Aaron

Hi Manish

So you're saying I can open a new CMD window, change directory to my
Eclipse directory, and type java -jar startup.jar and that may fix my
problem?

I will try this tonight, but please confirm that I am understanding.

Aa

Manish Pandit

Yep - thats correct. Before you do so, do a java -version in the
command window and check if the java in your path is the same you
intend to start eclipse with.

-cheers,
Manish

Aaron

Hi

So I've got Eclipse working again! I re-installed my JDK 1.5.0 and JRE
1.5.0... and this time everything came together nicely - the default
JRE now matches my environment variables. I've got what might be a web
project open... I'm not entirely sure. It's letting me edit my JSP
file, but I'm suspicious because it's not giving me any context help
for my scriptlets. It still won't allow me to create a new project as a
Dynamic Web Project, only a Static one.

argh....

Aa

Manish Pandit

Hi there!

Glad you got eclipse up and going. I have not seen JSP autocomplete
either - it did work when I installed the BEA plugin for web
development. Are you seeing syntax highlighting or is it plain black
and white? Coz you should be seeing syntax highlighting, and any
taglibs and HTML should autocomplete (like <h1>, <c:if> <c:choose> or
<struts:html>...). The java code within the scriptlet tags never
autocompleted for me.

Best of luck!

-cheers,
Manish

Aaron

Hi Manish

I am getting syntax highlighting.

I have tried to see if autocomplete works in a case like this: <form
action="" method=""> where I tried to generate a dropdown list of form
attributes, but nothing happened. Scriptlets, also nothing.

I went into a java class file and tried to get context help with
classes and objects, and it actually generated an error message stating
that there was a problem with one of the eclipse modules. .JDP or .JDF
or something...

I still don't see an option for Dynamic Web Project - do you?

Is BEA plugin free?

Aa

Aaron

Hi again, Manish

Before I head home I wanted to send you another update. All of these
Eclipse issues have been occurring at home (this is a personal
project). So I decided to install Eclipse at work and see if the same
problem occurs. I downloaded Eclipse, the three WTP prerequisites, then
WTP itself and presto, I see see Dynamic Web Projects! Also, I seem to
be getting code completion in my scriptlets (something you have to
press CTRL - SPACE).

So now I'm going to try it again at home and see if my luck holds!

Aa