Eclipse won't rebuild

Dancing Fingers

Hey guys,
I've been working on several Tomcat projects, on Linux and Windows,
and almost every time Eclipse stops rebuilding the files, especially
my support beans. Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the
bean was in the src file. What I've been doing is creating a new
project, importing the source files and everything works fine. This
is getting old.

Is this my bad luck or is there an easy trick?

Thanks.

Chris

Tom Anderson

I've been working on several Tomcat projects, on Linux and Windows, and
almost every time Eclipse stops rebuilding the files, especially my
support beans. Recently, I got the classic "The value for the useBean
class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the bean was in
the src file. What I've been doing is creating a new project, importing
the source files and everything works fine. This is getting old.

Is this my bad luck or is there an easy trick?

Have you made all the requisite sacrifices to the Old Gods?

Our local trick is closing (without deleting) and then reopening the
project. That seems to trigger a more thorough rebuilding than ordering a
refresh, and it only takes a few clicks.

Making a manual edit to the .classpath file, saving it, undoing the
change, and saving it again also helps sometimes. Possibly not in your
case.

tom

Andreas Leitgeb

Tom Anderson said:
Have you made all the requisite sacrifices to the Old Gods?

Our local trick is closing (without deleting) and then reopening the
project. That seems to trigger a more thorough rebuilding than ordering a
refresh, and it only takes a few clicks.

Making a manual edit to the .classpath file, saving it, undoing the
change, and saving it again also helps sometimes. Possibly not in your
case.

Despite all the luxury of IDEs, reading of issues like that of the OP and
then reading solutions like that are what makes me happy with vim ;-)

I prefer tools that I can rely on. vim probably also isn't bug-free,
but I didn't stumble over any of it's hidden bugs for ages.

Lew

Dancing said:
Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the

Two questions out of curiosity.

What exactly is the error message? I have no idea based on what you
told us. How about a copy-and-paste of the actual message, hm?

How in blazes would this error be considered "classic"?

Dancing Fingers

Two questions out of curiosity.

What exactly is the error message? I have no idea based on what you
told us. How about a copy-and-paste of the actual message, hm?

How in blazes would this error be considered "classic"?

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /saleV.jsp(14,0) The value for the
useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler is invalid.

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:
40)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:
407)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:
148)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator
$GenerateVisitor.visit(Generator.java:1200)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$UseBean.accept(Node.java:1160)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.java:2343)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visitBody(Node.java:
2393)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visit(Node.java:2399)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Root.accept(Node.java:489)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.java:2343)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator.generate(Generator.java:
3372)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:
198)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:314)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:294)
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:281)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:
566)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:
317)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:
337)
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:
266)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

I've seen this often enough to know that Tomcat can't find the bean.
I've fixed it many times by including the source, Eclipse -- usually
builds it in the build directory and I move on. It's also been my
experience that Sooner or later Eclipse quits building from the source
file over time. I was thinking may be some sort of .init file gets
corrupted.

Thanks.
Chris