Eclipse won't rebuild

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dancing Fingers, Oct 21, 2008.

  1. Hey guys,
    I've been working on several Tomcat projects, on Linux and Windows,
    and almost every time Eclipse stops rebuilding the files, especially
    my support beans. Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
    useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the
    bean was in the src file. What I've been doing is creating a new
    project, importing the source files and everything works fine. This
    is getting old.

    Is this my bad luck or is there an easy trick?

    Thanks.

    Chris
    Dancing Fingers, Oct 21, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dancing Fingers

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Dancing Fingers wrote:

    > I've been working on several Tomcat projects, on Linux and Windows, and
    > almost every time Eclipse stops rebuilding the files, especially my
    > support beans. Recently, I got the classic "The value for the useBean
    > class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the bean was in
    > the src file. What I've been doing is creating a new project, importing
    > the source files and everything works fine. This is getting old.
    >
    > Is this my bad luck or is there an easy trick?


    Have you made all the requisite sacrifices to the Old Gods?

    Our local trick is closing (without deleting) and then reopening the
    project. That seems to trigger a more thorough rebuilding than ordering a
    refresh, and it only takes a few clicks.

    Making a manual edit to the .classpath file, saving it, undoing the
    change, and saving it again also helps sometimes. Possibly not in your
    case.

    tom

    --
    No Hype Just Science
    Tom Anderson, Oct 21, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tom Anderson <> wrote:
    > Have you made all the requisite sacrifices to the Old Gods?
    >
    > Our local trick is closing (without deleting) and then reopening the
    > project. That seems to trigger a more thorough rebuilding than ordering a
    > refresh, and it only takes a few clicks.
    >
    > Making a manual edit to the .classpath file, saving it, undoing the
    > change, and saving it again also helps sometimes. Possibly not in your
    > case.


    Despite all the luxury of IDEs, reading of issues like that of the OP and
    then reading solutions like that are what makes me happy with vim ;-)

    I prefer tools that I can rely on. vim probably also isn't bug-free,
    but I didn't stumble over any of it's hidden bugs for ages.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Oct 22, 2008
    #3
  4. Dancing Fingers

    Lew Guest

    Dancing Fingers wrote:
    > Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
    > useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the


    Two questions out of curiosity.

    What exactly is the error message? I have no idea based on what you
    told us. How about a copy-and-paste of the actual message, hm?

    How in blazes would this error be considered "classic"?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 22, 2008
    #4
  5. On Oct 22, 12:01 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Dancing Fingers wrote:
    > > Recently, I got the classic "The value for the
    > > useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler" errors even though the

    >
    > Two questions out of curiosity.
    >
    > What exactly is the error message? I have no idea based on what you
    > told us. How about a copy-and-paste of the actual message, hm?
    >
    > How in blazes would this error be considered "classic"?
    >
    > --
    > Lew



    org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /saleV.jsp(14,0) The value for the
    useBean class attribute com.bean.IDHandler is invalid.

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:
    40)

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:
    407)

    org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:
    148)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator
    $GenerateVisitor.visit(Generator.java:1200)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$UseBean.accept(Node.java:1160)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.java:2343)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visitBody(Node.java:
    2393)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Visitor.visit(Node.java:2399)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Root.accept(Node.java:489)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$Nodes.visit(Node.java:2343)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator.generate(Generator.java:
    3372)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:
    198)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:314)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:294)
    org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:281)

    org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:
    566)

    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:
    317)

    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:
    337)
    org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:
    266)
    javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)

    I've seen this often enough to know that Tomcat can't find the bean.
    I've fixed it many times by including the source, Eclipse -- usually
    builds it in the build directory and I move on. It's also been my
    experience that Sooner or later Eclipse quits building from the source
    file over time. I was thinking may be some sort of .init file gets
    corrupted.

    Thanks.
    Chris
    Dancing Fingers, Oct 23, 2008
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gary McGill
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    4,823
    smith
    Dec 6, 2004
  2. Bennett Haselton
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    586
    Bennett Haselton
    Aug 19, 2003
  3. Chris
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,160
    Chris
    Feb 4, 2004
  4. Don
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    886
    Teemu Keiski
    Jul 9, 2004
  5. Jimmy
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,552
Loading...

Share This Page