eclipse workspace - export/import

Discussion in 'Java' started by eclipseusr1@yahoo.com, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I'd like to bring on a new developer to my team to begin using eclipse
    3.3
    How do I set him up to begin development quickly?

    We check out all the source from version control into a standardized
    directory tree that all our developers currently use.
    Too many steps to set up all the projects and tomcat server for every
    developer individually.
    If I make a copy of my eclipse workspace and give it to him, he will
    get all my history (.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.history),
    search strings I used (.plugins\org.eclipse.search
    \dialog_settings.xml), tomcat tmp directory contents(.plugins
    \org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp0), mylyn stuff (contexts and backup),
    etc.

    Is there a quick and clean way of exporting a compact, minimal eclipse
    workspace (i.e. minus history, cache, backups, and other things that
    his eclipse environment can re-generate (e.g. .plugins
    \org.eclipse.jdt.core\) that can be imported by another eclipse
    devloper, so that they won't have to set up all the projects, servers,
    etc.?
    (I'd like to check this minimal workspace into version control so that
    a new developers can check it out and begin eclipse development
    quickly).

    Thanks.
    , Jan 8, 2008

  2. wrote:
    >I'd like to bring on a new developer to my team to begin using eclipse
    >3.3
    >How do I set him up to begin development quickly?

    Have your major build done using Ant.

    That way, s/he can CVS the source (including build file)
    and get straight into development in the editor of her/his
    choice.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.physci.org/