ECMA-262-3 in detail. Chapter 3. This.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <b9889880-9d61-4cbb-8d69-e2d5a61f089a@o3
0g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:47:12, Dmitry A.
Soshnikov said:
One more article is translated. "Chapter 3. This." devoted to `this'
value in ECMAScript. As before, I'll be glad for any additions/
corrections: English wording mistakes and technical.

You have probably read ECMA 262 5th Edition by now.

Without completely upgrading your pages to ECMA 5 - and code authors
still need to be ECMA-3-aware - how about putting at the foot of every
page for which you know which to put, one of

"This article also applies to ECMA 5"
"Changes in ECMA 5 affect this article"

(probably not the best wording in English or Russian, but should show
the idea).

"enough difficult " -> "difficult enough, "
"enough simple" -> "simple enough"
"C ++ " -> "C++ "

Dmitry A. Soshnikov

In comp.lang.javascript message <b9889880-9d61-4cbb-8d69-e2d5a61f089a@o3
0g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:47:12, Dmitry A.

You have probably read ECMA 262 5th Edition by now.

Without completely upgrading your pages to ECMA 5 - and code authors
still need to be ECMA-3-aware - how about putting at the foot of every
page for which you know which to put, one of

        "This article also applies to ECMA 5"
        "Changes in ECMA 5 affect this article"

(probably not the best wording in English or Russian, but should show
the idea).

Thanks, good suggestion, I also already thought about it. There are
two possible decisions:

(1) to create new articles cycle "ECMA-262-5 in detail" and to
describe all the same features again.

(2) expand current articles and rename the whole articles cycle from
"ECMA-262-3 ..." to just "ECMA-262 in detail" which means that
articles touch also 5th edition.

Regarding the second point: some articles of ES5 won't differ much
from ES3 and do not require many additions/corrections. But other,
e.g. article about lexical environments from ES5 (which correspond to
scope chain and variable object from ES3) will be completely
independent because already different terminology (and also algorithms
and mechanisms) is used.

So it's sill open question. But yeah, I'm planning to write articles
about ECMA-262-5 with parallel translations of ECMA-262-3 because ES3
is still on the stage.
        "enough difficult " -> "difficult enough, "
        "enough simple" -> "simple enough"

Thank you, fixed.

Yeah, just a typo.

Dmitry.