EDA apps on Mac OSX?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Phil Tomson, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Phil Tomson

    Phil Tomson Guest

    OSX is basically FreeBSD unix under the hood with a very nice
    GUI. Given the fact that dual processor G5's are essentially high
    performance Unix workstations that also happen to run all of
    those so-called 'productivity apps', I'm wondering if we'll see any
    Commercial EDA apps released for the platform? Most of the OpenSource EDA
    tools like Icarus, GHDL, GTKWave, etc. are already running on OSX (it's
    quite easy to port code from Linux to OSX - usually no changes are required).

    I suspect that support issues would probably be less than those
    associated with Linux as well because there are less flavors.
    Having a plethora of choices of distros is one of Linux's strong points
    and it's just fine as long as you've got the source code for a given tool
    (like those listed above) but with closed-source tools it can be
    problematic which is why most EDA vendors still only support RedHat 7.2
    (I recall running that version back in '99 :) or maybe RH 8.0. And then
    there's 64bit support: are you going to support Opteron or Itanium
    binaries (or both) for example.

    Don't get me wrong, I still like and use Linux, but after using OSX for a
    few months I'm really liking not having to be a sysadmin for a laptop.
    ;-) This would also seem to be a benefit for companies as well. Sure
    Apple hardware is pricier than PC hardware, but when you compare that price
    difference (maybe $500 at the highend) with the price
    of EDA software ($5K - $100K+) the price difference is insignificant
    compared to the potential benefits. Since each engineer would only need
    one OSX machine on their desk (it runs those so-called 'productivity
    apps') that would probably make up for the price difference quite easily.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Jul 9, 2004