EDI x12 --> XML

Greg Lindstrom

Hello, List-

I am working on automating a system accepting input data in EDI x12
format and would like to convert it to XML. Before I start, I thought
I'd ask if anyone has worked on such a beast. I have seen work by Chris
Cioffi on parsing EDI records. Is anything else out there before I
either write one or use one that I have written in Perl?

Thanks!
--greg--

Greg Lindstrom 501 975.4859
Computer Programmer (e-mail address removed)
NovaSys Health
Little Rock, Arkansas

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." W.W.

Paul Rubin

Greg Lindstrom said:
I am working on automating a system accepting input data in EDI x12
format and would like to convert it to XML. Before I start, I thought
I'd ask if anyone has worked on such a beast. I have seen work by
Chris Cioffi on parsing EDI records. Is anything else out there
before I either write one or use one that I have written in Perl?

I wrote a thing like that a long time ago. As a pure coding task,
it's not that hard. The main hassle is having the appropriate segment
and element dictionaries for the docs you're trying to parse
(comparable to XML DTD's). Maybe they're online someplace now. The
main thing needing special code was the HL segment, which has a
recursive structure, but even that's such a big deal.

I don't know why you want to do this, but if you have a use for it, go
for it.