    my site, change and upload if that will work but do not want to mess
    it up.
    , Feb 2, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > I have site made for me that is on ASP. I would like to be able to
    > make minor text changes with an editor that lets you see what you get
    > first. Can I use one on ASP based site? I can download the files from
    > my site, change and upload if that will work but do not want to mess
    > it up.

    It depends--if your editor doesn't know about ASP, (1) it won't know how
    to display your page properly and (2) it could *theoretically* mess up
    the ASP code. It would probably be safer to use an ordinary text editor.
    You can rename the file and upload it if you want to look at it before
    uploading it again under its original name.
    Harlan Messinger, Feb 2, 2008

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > I have site made for me that is on ASP. I would like to be able to
    > make minor text changes with an editor that lets you see what you get
    > first. Can I use one on ASP based site? I can download the files from
    > my site, change and upload if that will work but do not want to mess
    > it up.

    1. Make a backup of the original file.
    2. Definately use a text editor
    3. Set your system up as a web server, it's not very hard. Preview
    pages on your local machine before uploading them to the production
    server. If your site also accesses a database, you might be able to
    connect to it remotely. If not, install the db program, and either copy
    the records to your local system, or put in some dummy records (just so
    you can see everything is okay).
    4. Be sure to make a backup of the original file. I cannot emphasize
    this enough.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 2, 2008

    On Feb 2, 11:18 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing innews::
    >
    > > I have site made for me that is on ASP. I would like to be able to
    > > make minor text changes with an editor that lets you see what you get
    > > first. Can I use one on ASP based site? I can download the files from
    > > my site, change and upload if that will work but do not want to mess
    > > it up.

    > 1. Make a backup of the original file.
    > 2. Definately use a text editor
    > 3. Set your system up as a web server, it's not very hard.  Preview
    > pages on your local machine before uploading them to the production
    > server.  If your site also accesses a database, you might be able to
    > connect to it remotely.  If not, install the db program, and either copy
    > the records to your local system, or put in some dummy records (just so
    > you can see everything is okay).
    > 4. Be sure to make a backup of the original file.  I cannot emphasize
    > this enough.
    >
    > --
    > Adrienne Boswell at Home
    > Arbpen Web Site Design Serviceshttp://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    I see on this w=site that instaed of pages being names index. html
    they are like aspx. Looks like there is more than one page that is the
    on mine default. aspx, deafult2.aspx and default.aspx.cs. Which one do
    i edit the text on? I understand to download it first and save all of
    them as back up. If I make a new one and just call it whatever,
    test.aspx. and uplod it, it will not bother my other rpages while I
    vew it? If tit views OK then change the name to the one to replace
    and upload, if messes up I can upload the original and site will go
    abck to as before?
    , Feb 2, 2008
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > On Feb 2, 11:18 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing
    >> innews

    >::
    >>
    >> > I have site made for me that is on ASP. I would like to be able to
    >> > make minor text changes with an editor that lets you see what you
    >> > get first. Can I use one on ASP based site? I can download the
    >> > files from my site, change and upload if that will work but do not
    >> > want to mess it up.

    >> 1. Make a backup of the original file.
    >> 2. Definately use a text editor
    >> 3. Set your system up as a web server, it's not very hard.  Preview
    >> pages on your local machine before uploading them to the production
    >> server.  If your site also accesses a database, you might be able to
    >> connect to it remotely.  If not, install the db program, and either
    >> copy

    >> the records to your local system, or put in some dummy records (just
    >> so you can see everything is okay).
    >> 4. Be sure to make a backup of the original file.  I cannot emphasize
    >> this enough.
    >>

    > I see on this w=site that instaed of pages being names index. html
    > they are like aspx. Looks like there is more than one page that is the
    > on mine default. aspx, deafult2.aspx and default.aspx.cs. Which one do
    > i edit the text on? I understand to download it first and save all of
    > them as back up. If I make a new one and just call it whatever,
    > test.aspx. and uplod it, it will not bother my other rpages while I
    > vew it? If tit views OK then change the name to the one to replace
    > and upload, if messes up I can upload the original and site will go
    > abck to as before?

    You really have to tread carefully, and you need to work with the actual
    page, including the code.

    For example, a lot of pages I do have something like (php):

    <?php
    $thispage = "The page title";
    $thisurl = "thispage.php";
    include "linkrel_inc.php";
    //sql statements
    ?>
    </head>
    <?php include "nav_inc.php"?>
    <h2>Second level heading</h2>
    <!-- Maybe something might be coming from a database here -->
    <?php include "footer.php"?>

    There is a lot of code in this example, and not very much markup. Most
    of the markup (in this example) is in included documents. In this
    example, the only place I would want to change something would be in
    within the content div.

    Your page will be different, but I hope you can see why I have said to
    be careful, and where you might be able to make changes. As I said
    before, best to set up a local server, test the page changes there, and
    if everything works okay, then you can upload it to the production
    server.

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 3, 2008
  6. Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 3, 3:38 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing innews::
    >

    > > On Feb 2, 11:18 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing
    > >> innews

    > >::

    > >> 1. Make a backup of the original file.
    > >> 2. Definately use a text editor
    > >> 3. Set your system up as a web server, it's not very hard.  Preview
    > >> pages on your local machine before uploading them to the production
    > >> server.  If your site also accesses a database, you might be able to
    > >> connect to it remotely.  If not, install the db program, and either
    > >> copy

    > >> the records to your local system, or put in some dummy records (just
    > >> so you can see everything is okay).
    > >> 4. Be sure to make a backup of the original file.  I cannot emphasize
    > >> this enough.

    > > I see on this w=site that instaed of pages being names index. html
    > > they are like aspx. Looks like there is more than one page that is the
    > > on mine default. aspx, deafult2.aspx and default.aspx.cs. Which one do
    > > i edit the text on? I understand to download it first and save all of
    > > them as back up. If I make a new one and just call it whatever,
    > > test.aspx. and uplod it, it will not bother my other rpages while I
    > > vew it? If tit views OK then change the name to the one to replace
    > > and upload, if messes up I can upload the original  and site will go
    > > abck to as before?

    > You really have to tread carefully, and you need to work with the actual
    > page, including the code.
    >
    > For example, a lot of pages I do have something like (php):
    >
    > <?php
    > $thispage = "The page title";
    > $thisurl = "thispage.php";
    > include "linkrel_inc.php";
    > //sql statements
    > ?>
    > </head>
    > <?php include "nav_inc.php"?>
    > <h2>Second level heading</h2>
    > <!-- Maybe something might be coming from a database here -->
    > <?php include "footer.php"?>
    >
    > There is a lot of code in this example, and not very much markup.  Most
    > of the markup (in this example) is in included documents.  In this
    > example, the only place I would want to change something would be in
    > within the content div.
    >
    > Your page will be different, but I hope you can see why I have said to
    > be careful, and where you might be able to make changes.  As I said
    > before, best to set up a local server, test the page changes there, and
    > if everything works okay, then you can upload it to the production
    > server.

    BTW the OP just wants to make simple changes to text.
    The OP should really have a CMS where they can just edit pages without
    needing to edit the code.
    The web designer should have provided this *or at least instructions
    of how the OP could update the site.
    Chaddy2222, Feb 3, 2008

    On Feb 3, 5:15 am, Chaddy2222 <>
    wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 3:38 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >

    > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing innews::

    > > >::

    > > > I see on this w=site that instaed of pages being names index. html
    > > > they are like aspx. Looks like there is more than one page that is the
    > > > on mine default. aspx, deafult2.aspx and default.aspx.cs. Which one do
    > > > i edit the text on? I understand to download it first and save all of
    > > > them as back up. If I make a new one and just call it whatever,
    > > > test.aspx. and uplod it, it will not bother my other rpages while I
    > > > vew it? If tit views OK then change the name to the one to replace
    > > > and upload, if messes up I can upload the original  and site will go
    > > > abck to as before?

    > > You really have to tread carefully, and you need to work with the actual
    > > page, including the code.

    > > For example, a lot of pages I do have something like (php):

    > > <?php
    > > $thispage = "The page title";
    > > $thisurl = "thispage.php";
    > > include "linkrel_inc.php";
    > > //sql statements
    > > ?>
    > > </head>
    > > <?php include "nav_inc.php"?>
    > > <h2>Second level heading</h2>
    > > <!-- Maybe something might be coming from a database here -->
    > > <?php include "footer.php"?>

    > > There is a lot of code in this example, and not very much markup.  Most
    > > of the markup (in this example) is in included documents.  In this
    > > example, the only place I would want to change something would be in
    > > within the content div.

    > > Your page will be different, but I hope you can see why I have said to
    > > be careful, and where you might be able to make changes.  As I said
    > > before, best to set up a local server, test the page changes there, and
    > > if everything works okay, then you can upload it to the production
    > > server.

    > BTW the OP just wants to make simple changes to text.
    > The OP should really have a CMS where they can just edit pages without
    > needing to edit the code.
    > The web designer should have provided this *or at least instructions
    > of how the OP could update the site.
    > --
    > Regards Chad.http://freewebdesignonline.org- Hide quoted text -

    MY developer will not help me and just says download Visual.Web
    Express which looks too hard to learn to me,. How do I make my
    computer a server? What is an easier to use editor that would work,
    should I use the see what you do first? I am real unhappy with some of
    the text layout and format on my site which cost nearly $4000 and am
    stuck with it. actually there are code problems with too but I can get
    by for now just want to make appearance changes. I have done two small
    web sites on my own with a Web Easy Professional but they were not
    ASP. I just want to be happy with my site look as it commercial and
    not doing too well.
    , Feb 3, 2008
  8. Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 4, 12:09 am, wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 5:15 am, Chaddy2222 <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 3, 3:38 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing innews::

    > > > You really have to tread carefully, and you need to work with the actual
    > > > page, including the code.

    > > > For example, a lot of pages I do have something like (php):

    > > > <?php
    > > > $thispage = "The page title";
    > > > $thisurl = "thispage.php";
    > > > include "linkrel_inc.php";
    > > > //sql statements
    > > > ?>
    > > > </head>
    > > > <?php include "nav_inc.php"?>
    > > > <h2>Second level heading</h2>
    > > > <!-- Maybe something might be coming from a database here -->
    > > > <?php include "footer.php"?>

    > > > There is a lot of code in this example, and not very much markup.  Most
    > > > of the markup (in this example) is in included documents.  In this
    > > > example, the only place I would want to change something would be in
    > > > within the content div.

    > > > Your page will be different, but I hope you can see why I have said to
    > > > be careful, and where you might be able to make changes.  As I said
    > > > before, best to set up a local server, test the page changes there, and
    > > > if everything works okay, then you can upload it to the production
    > > > server.

    > > BTW the OP just wants to make simple changes to text.
    > > The OP should really have a CMS where they can just edit pages without
    > > needing to edit the code.
    > > The web designer should have provided this *or at least instructions
    > > of how the OP could update the site.
    > > --
    > > Regards Chad.http://freewebdesignonline.org-Hide quoted text -

    > MY developer will not help me and just says download Visual.Web
    > Express which looks too hard to learn to me,. How do I make my
    > computer a server? What is an easier to use editor that would work,
    > should I use the see what you do first? I am real unhappy with some of
    > the text layout and format on my site which cost nearly $4000 and am
    > stuck with it. actually there are code problems with too but I can get
    > by for now just want to make appearance changes.

    <snip>
    Why the hell did you not ask for these changes before the site went
    live??.
    You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
    it (one would presume).
    BTW did you get a contract for this project (or if not a contract some
    kind of written plan / agreement?.
    Chaddy2222, Feb 3, 2008

    On Feb 3, 8:30 am, Chaddy2222 <>
    wrote:
    > On Feb 4, 12:09 am, wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 3, 5:15 am, Chaddy2222 <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > BTW the OP just wants to make simple changes to text.
    > > > The OP should really have a CMS where they can just edit pages without
    > > > needing to edit the code.
    > > > The web designer should have provided this *or at least instructions
    > > > of how the OP could update the site.
    > > > --
    > > > Regards Chad.http://freewebdesignonline.org-Hidequoted text -

    > > MY developer will not help me and just says download Visual.Web
    > > Express which looks too hard to learn to me,. How do I make my
    > > computer a server? What is an easier to use editor that would work,
    > > should I use the see what you do first? I am real unhappy with some of
    > > the text layout and format on my site which cost nearly $4000 and am
    > > stuck with it. actually there are code problems with too but I can get
    > > by for now just want to make appearance changes.

    > <snip>
    > Why the hell did you not ask for these changes before the site went
    > live??.
    > You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
    > it (one would presume).
    > BTW did you get a contract for this project (or if not a contract some
    > kind of written plan / agreement?.
    > --
    > Regards Chad.http://freewebdesignonline.org- Hide quoted text -

    I had reached the end of what I could pay and said just finish it
    quickly and this is it it appears. The site was supposed to be $1800
    to $2500. I was OK at the time with it as was I just relived to stop
    the per hour charges. I think I will just move on to a graphic type
    web design person to make it look better. Too worried I will mess it
    as it does work more or less and I have a few members now. Next time
    if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
    per hour rate. Live and learn I guess.
    , Feb 3, 2008
  10. Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 4, 1:20 am, wrote:
    > On Feb 3, 8:30 am, Chaddy2222 <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 4, 12:09 am, wrote:

    > > > MY developer will not help me and just says download Visual.Web
    > > > Express which looks too hard to learn to me,. How do I make my
    > > > computer a server? What is an easier to use editor that would work,
    > > > should I use the see what you do first? I am real unhappy with some of
    > > > the text layout and format on my site which cost nearly $4000 and am
    > > > stuck with it. actually there are code problems with too but I can get
    > > > by for now just want to make appearance changes.

    > > <snip>
    > > Why the hell did you not ask for these changes before the site went
    > > live??.
    > > You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
    > > it (one would presume).
    > > BTW did you get a contract for this project (or if not a contract some
    > > kind of written plan / agreement?.
    > > --
    > > Regards Chad.http://freewebdesignonline.org-Hide quoted text -

    > I had reached the end  of what I could pay and said just finish it
    > quickly and  this is it it appears. The site was supposed to be $1800
    > to $2500.  I was OK at the time with it as was I just relived to stop
    > the per hour charges. I think I will just move on to a graphic type
    > web design person  to make it look better. Too worried I will mess it
    > as it does work more or less and I have a few members now.  Next time
    > if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
    > per hour rate. Live and learn I guess.- Hide quoted text -

    Hmmm it sounds like you were over charged a bit.
    Although most good / decent web developers will charge an up-front fee
    to start work on a project and charge depending on how large or
    complex the project is.
    So next time you should get a contract written up to make sure that
    both you and the web desinger / developer know what will happen.
    Most develpers will write up a contract before doing any work on a
    project.
    Chaddy2222, Feb 3, 2008
  11. wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >>> MY developer will not help me and just says download Visual.Web
    >>> Express which looks too hard to learn to me,. How do I make my
    >>> computer a server? What is an easier to use editor that would work,
    >>> should I use the see what you do first? I am real unhappy with some
    >>> of the text layout and format on my site which cost nearly $4000
    >>> and am stuck with it. actually there are code problems with too but
    >>> I can get by for now just want to make appearance changes.

    > I had reached the end of what I could pay and said just finish it
    > quickly and this is it it appears. The site was supposed to be $1800
    > to $2500. I was OK at the time with it as was I just relived to stop
    > the per hour charges. I think I will just move on to a graphic type
    > web design person to make it look better. Too worried I will mess it
    > as it does work more or less and I have a few members now. Next time
    > if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
    > per hour rate. Live and learn I guess.

    I do not know of any developers who will do continuous updates and
    "feature creep" forever without you paying a fee for the service. This
    would be akin to you buying a new car at a set price, then getting new
    tires and periodic service for free during the life of the car.

    One of my clients sends me articles/images/changes/whatever nearly every
    week and pays me $NN per hour to do it.

    I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always* ongoing
    maintenance. If you could actually find a new developer willing to work
    for free, please post their details so others can take advantage of it.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 3, 2008
  12. Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 4, 1:48 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > > I had reached the end  of what I could pay and said just finish it
    > > quickly and  this is it it appears. The site was supposed to be $1800
    > > to $2500.  I was OK at the time with it as was I just relived to stop
    > > the per hour charges. I think I will just move on to a graphic type
    > > web design person  to make it look better. Too worried I will mess it
    > > as it does work more or less and I have a few members now.  Next time
    > > if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
    > > per hour rate. Live and learn I guess.

    > I do not know of any developers who will do continuous updates and
    > "feature creep" forever without you paying a fee for the service. This
    > would be akin to you buying a new car at a set price, then getting new
    > tires and periodic service for free during the life of the car.
    >
    > One of my clients sends me articles/images/changes/whatever nearly every
    > week and pays me $NN per hour to do it.
    >
    > I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always* ongoing
    > maintenance. If you could actually find a new developer willing to work
    > for free, please post their details so others can take advantage of it.

    I do.
    But only for community organisations and non profits and I restrict
    the amount of extra work that I do on clients websites (for obvious
    reasons).
    Chaddy2222, Feb 3, 2008
  13. Chaddy2222 wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> One of my clients sends me articles/images/changes/whatever nearly
    >> every week and pays me $NN per hour to do it.
    >>
    >> I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always*
    >> ongoing maintenance. If you could actually find a new developer
    >> willing to work for free, please post their details so others can
    >> take advantage of it.

    > I do.
    > But only for community organisations and non profits and I restrict
    > the amount of extra work that I do on clients websites (for obvious
    > reasons).

    Sure, I do that as well, but as you note, the contract states
    "restricted extra work" or something similar.

    I do one small site for a friend where payment consists of occasional
    airplane rides. <g> He's a pilot and owns a Cessna.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 3, 2008
  14. Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:31:42 GMT
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribed:

    > Chaddy2222 wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> One of my clients sends me articles/images/changes/whatever nearly
    >>> every week and pays me $NN per hour to do it.
    >>>
    >>> I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always*
    >>> ongoing maintenance. If you could actually find a new developer
    >>> willing to work for free, please post their details so others can
    >>> take advantage of it.

    >> I do.
    >> But only for community organisations and non profits and I restrict
    >> the amount of extra work that I do on clients websites (for obvious
    >> reasons).

    > Sure, I do that as well, but as you note, the contract states
    > "restricted extra work" or something similar.
    >
    > I do one small site for a friend where payment consists of occasional
    > airplane rides. <g> He's a pilot and owns a Cessna.

    I heard Blinky did a site for a blow fish friend of his, but I don't know
    what he gets.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.
    Neredbojias, Feb 3, 2008
  15. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    @q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

    > You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
    > it (one would presume).

    You do not need to use the MS editor. Any plain text editor will do. You
    know, a URL would be helpful. With any luck, changing the layout will be
    simply a matter of changing the CSS - but then, knowing how MS people
    sometimes are, it's probably FULL of presentational markup, abuse of
    tables, invalid markup, etc.

    Got a URL?

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 3, 2008
  16. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <Vukpj.193888$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always* ongoing
    > maintenance.

    Quite right too. The clients just knowing that there are fees
    involved, disciplines their desires and focuses their requests.
    In their best interest.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 3, 2008
  17. Bergamot Guest

    wrote:

    >> > I am real unhappy with some of
    >> > the text layout and format on my site

    If you post a URL, we might make some helpful suggestions.

    > which cost nearly $4000
    >
    > The site was supposed to be $1800 to $2500.

    Sounds like you didn't spend enough time on requirements gathering for
    it to go so far over budget. It is possible that you hired someone not
    skilled enough for the job, but maybe you just expected too much. Often
    enough I've had to deal with clients that want $3000 worth of service
    for $300. I hope you're not one of those.

    > Next time
    > if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
    > per hour rate.

    If you can get a developer to agree to that, great, but don't hold your
    breath.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Feb 3, 2008
  18. Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Feb 4, 4:09 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
    > > writing in news:f031b2f4-c009-40e8-8b5e-2b3cdc017179
    > @q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
    > > it (one would presume).

    > You do not need to use the MS editor.  Any plain text editor will do.  You
    > know, a URL would be helpful.  With any luck, changing the layout will be
    > simply a matter of changing the CSS - but then, knowing how MS people
    > sometimes are, it's probably FULL of presentational markup, abuse of
    > tables, invalid markup, etc.
    >
    > Got a URL?

    Yes I do but I am not the OP.
    BTW the OP probably will need to use the MS editor based on the fact
    that he / she / it does not have any idea of the file system of the
    site and the web developer is not being payed enough to give the OP
    any help.
    Chaddy2222, Feb 4, 2008