edit asp site?

SCforester

I have site made for me that is on ASP. I would like to be able to
make minor text changes with an editor that lets you see what you get
first. Can I use one on ASP based site? I can download the files from
my site, change and upload if that will work but do not want to mess
it up.

Harlan Messinger

I have site made for me that is on ASP. I would like to be able to
make minor text changes with an editor that lets you see what you get
first. Can I use one on ASP based site? I can download the files from
my site, change and upload if that will work but do not want to mess
it up.

It depends--if your editor doesn't know about ASP, (1) it won't know how
to display your page properly and (2) it could *theoretically* mess up
the ASP code. It would probably be safer to use an ordinary text editor.
You can rename the file and upload it if you want to look at it before
uploading it again under its original name.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in
I have site made for me that is on ASP. I would like to be able to
make minor text changes with an editor that lets you see what you get
first. Can I use one on ASP based site? I can download the files from
my site, change and upload if that will work but do not want to mess
it up.

1. Make a backup of the original file.
2. Definately use a text editor
3. Set your system up as a web server, it's not very hard. Preview
pages on your local machine before uploading them to the production
server. If your site also accesses a database, you might be able to
connect to it remotely. If not, install the db program, and either copy
the records to your local system, or put in some dummy records (just so
you can see everything is okay).
4. Be sure to make a backup of the original file. I cannot emphasize
this enough.

SCforester

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in

1. Make a backup of the original file.
2. Definately use a text editor
3. Set your system up as a web server, it's not very hard.  Preview
pages on your local machine before uploading them to the production
server.  If your site also accesses a database, you might be able to
connect to it remotely.  If not, install the db program, and either copy
the records to your local system, or put in some dummy records (just so
you can see everything is okay).
4. Be sure to make a backup of the original file.  I cannot emphasize
this enough.

I see on this w=site that instaed of pages being names index. html
they are like aspx. Looks like there is more than one page that is the
on mine default. aspx, deafult2.aspx and default.aspx.cs. Which one do
i edit the text on? I understand to download it first and save all of
them as back up. If I make a new one and just call it whatever,
test.aspx. and uplod it, it will not bother my other rpages while I
vew it? If tit views OK then change the name to the one to replace
and upload, if messes up I can upload the original and site will go
abck to as before?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed) writing in

I see on this w=site that instaed of pages being names index. html
they are like aspx. Looks like there is more than one page that is the
on mine default. aspx, deafult2.aspx and default.aspx.cs. Which one do
i edit the text on? I understand to download it first and save all of
them as back up. If I make a new one and just call it whatever,
test.aspx. and uplod it, it will not bother my other rpages while I
vew it? If tit views OK then change the name to the one to replace
and upload, if messes up I can upload the original and site will go
abck to as before?

You really have to tread carefully, and you need to work with the actual
page, including the code.

For example, a lot of pages I do have something like (php):

<?php
$thispage = "The page title";
$thisurl = "thispage.php";
include "linkrel_inc.php";
//sql statements
?>
</head>
<?php include "nav_inc.php"?>
<h2>Second level heading</h2>
<!-- Maybe something might be coming from a database here -->
<?php include "footer.php"?>

There is a lot of code in this example, and not very much markup. Most
of the markup (in this example) is in included documents. In this
example, the only place I would want to change something would be in
within the content div.

Your page will be different, but I hope you can see why I have said to
be careful, and where you might be able to make changes. As I said
before, best to set up a local server, test the page changes there, and
if everything works okay, then you can upload it to the production
server.

Chaddy2222

[...]

BTW the OP just wants to make simple changes to text.
The OP should really have a CMS where they can just edit pages without
needing to edit the code.
The web designer should have provided this *or at least instructions
of how the OP could update the site.

SCforester

BTW the OP just wants to make simple changes to text.
The OP should really have a CMS where they can just edit pages without
needing to edit the code.
The web designer should have provided this *or at least instructions
of how the OP could update the site.

MY developer will not help me and just says download Visual.Web
Express which looks too hard to learn to me,. How do I make my
computer a server? What is an easier to use editor that would work,
should I use the see what you do first? I am real unhappy with some of
the text layout and format on my site which cost nearly $4000 and am
stuck with it. actually there are code problems with too but I can get
by for now just want to make appearance changes. I have done two small
web sites on my own with a Web Easy Professional but they were not
ASP. I just want to be happy with my site look as it commercial and
not doing too well.

Chaddy2222

MY developer will not help me and just says download Visual.Web
Express which looks too hard to learn to me,. How do I make my
computer a server? What is an easier to use editor that would work,
should I use the see what you do first? I am real unhappy with some of
the text layout and format on my site which cost nearly $4000 and am
stuck with it. actually there are code problems with too but I can get
by for now just want to make appearance changes.
<snip>
Why the hell did you not ask for these changes before the site went
live??.
You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
it (one would presume).
BTW did you get a contract for this project (or if not a contract some
kind of written plan / agreement?.

SCforester

<snip>
Why the hell did you not ask for these changes before the site went
live??.
You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
it (one would presume).
BTW did you get a contract for this project (or if not a contract some
kind of written plan / agreement?.

I had reached the end of what I could pay and said just finish it
quickly and this is it it appears. The site was supposed to be $1800
to $2500. I was OK at the time with it as was I just relived to stop
the per hour charges. I think I will just move on to a graphic type
web design person to make it look better. Too worried I will mess it
as it does work more or less and I have a few members now. Next time
if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
per hour rate. Live and learn I guess.

Chaddy2222

I had reached the end  of what I could pay and said just finish it
quickly and  this is it it appears. The site was supposed to be $1800
to $2500.  I was OK at the time with it as was I just relived to stop
the per hour charges. I think I will just move on to a graphic type
web design person  to make it look better. Too worried I will mess it
as it does work more or less and I have a few members now.  Next time
if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
per hour rate. Live and learn I guess.- Hide quoted text -
Hmmm it sounds like you were over charged a bit.
Although most good / decent web developers will charge an up-front fee
to start work on a project and charge depending on how large or
complex the project is.
So next time you should get a contract written up to make sure that
both you and the web desinger / developer know what will happen.
Most develpers will write up a contract before doing any work on a
project.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I had reached the end of what I could pay and said just finish it
quickly and this is it it appears. The site was supposed to be $1800
to $2500. I was OK at the time with it as was I just relived to stop
the per hour charges. I think I will just move on to a graphic type
web design person to make it look better. Too worried I will mess it
as it does work more or less and I have a few members now. Next time
if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
per hour rate. Live and learn I guess.

I do not know of any developers who will do continuous updates and
"feature creep" forever without you paying a fee for the service. This
would be akin to you buying a new car at a set price, then getting new
tires and periodic service for free during the life of the car.

One of my clients sends me articles/images/changes/whatever nearly every
week and pays me $NN per hour to do it.

I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always* ongoing
maintenance. If you could actually find a new developer willing to work
for free, please post their details so others can take advantage of it.

Chaddy2222

I do not know of any developers who will do continuous updates and
"feature creep" forever without you paying a fee for the service. This
would be akin to you buying a new car at a set price, then getting new
tires and periodic service for free during the life of the car.

One of my clients sends me articles/images/changes/whatever nearly every
week and pays me $NN per hour to do it.

I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always* ongoing
maintenance. If you could actually find a new developer willing to work
for free, please post their details so others can take advantage of it.
I do.
But only for community organisations and non profits and I restrict
the amount of extra work that I do on clients websites (for obvious
reasons).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Chaddy2222 said:
I do.
But only for community organisations and non profits and I restrict
the amount of extra work that I do on clients websites (for obvious
reasons).

Sure, I do that as well, but as you note, the contract states
"restricted extra work" or something similar.

I do one small site for a friend where payment consists of occasional
airplane rides. <g> He's a pilot and owns a Cessna.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:31:42 GMT
Beauregard T. Shagnasty scribed:
Sure, I do that as well, but as you note, the contract states
"restricted extra work" or something similar.

I do one small site for a friend where payment consists of occasional
airplane rides. <g> He's a pilot and owns a Cessna.

I heard Blinky did a site for a blow fish friend of his, but I don't know
what he gets.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in @q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
You will need to use the MS editor due to the site being designed with
it (one would presume).

You do not need to use the MS editor. Any plain text editor will do. You
know, a URL would be helpful. With any luck, changing the layout will be
simply a matter of changing the CSS - but then, knowing how MS people
sometimes are, it's probably FULL of presentational markup, abuse of
tables, invalid markup, etc.

Got a URL?

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
I would never do a "set fee" website, because there is *always* ongoing
maintenance.

Quite right too. The clients just knowing that there are fees
involved, disciplines their desires and focuses their requests.
In their best interest.

Bergamot

If you post a URL, we might make some helpful suggestions.
which cost nearly $4000

The site was supposed to be $1800 to $2500.

Sounds like you didn't spend enough time on requirements gathering for
it to go so far over budget. It is possible that you hired someone not
skilled enough for the job, but maybe you just expected too much. Often
enough I've had to deal with clients that want $3000 worth of service
for $300. I hope you're not one of those.
Next time
if ever it will be developer get paid when its done and approved not
per hour rate.

If you can get a developer to agree to that, great, but don't hold your
breath.

Chaddy2222

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Chaddy2222 <spamlovermailbox-
(e-mail address removed)> writing in @q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

You do not need to use the MS editor.  Any plain text editor will do.  You
know, a URL would be helpful.  With any luck, changing the layout will be
simply a matter of changing the CSS - but then, knowing how MS people
sometimes are, it's probably FULL of presentational markup, abuse of
tables, invalid markup, etc.

Got a URL?
Yes I do but I am not the OP.
BTW the OP probably will need to use the MS editor based on the fact
that he / she / it does not have any idea of the file system of the
site and the web developer is not being payed enough to give the OP
any help.