Edit Command doesn't work

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Rudy, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Rudy

    Rudy Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a edit button on my data grid. My code for the edit comnd is ....

    Private Sub grdUinv_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles
    grdUinv.EditCommand

    grdUinv.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex

    End Sub

    But for some reason, when I hit Edit button, it just flashes and nothing
    changes. I tried with smart nav on and off. Same thing. I seem to recall
    there is something I need to code in the HTML source, but I can't remeber
    what. For now, I haven't touched the HTML.
    Any help on this would be appreciated!

    TIA!!!

    Rudy

    Rudy, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Rudy

    Rudy Guest

    The plot thickens....
    So if I do this to my code..
    Sub BindDataGrid()
    Dim connUinv As New SqlConnection(strConnString)
    Dim cmdSelect As SqlCommand

    cmdSelect = New SqlCommand("Select * From IMSProducts", connUinv) '
    Order by " & strSortField, connUinv)
    connUinv.Open()
    grdUinv.DataSource = cmdSelect.ExecuteReader
    'COMMENTED THIS LINE OUT, AND NOW EDIT COMMAND WORKS, uncommeted it
    doesn't work
    grdUinv.DataBind()

    connUinv.Close()

    End Sub
    and comment out grdUinv.databind, the Edit command kinda works. I have to
    hit it twice for it to take, and then it does cancel when I hit cancel, which
    I didn't set that up, but when I edit say row#6, it highlights the origianl
    row I highlited. Then bad things begin to happen, like my panel overlaps the
    grid, and everything gets goofy.

    I fearI'm refreshing enough, or too much, or something like that. I hate to
    put my whole code up, but I think I have a few lines not put up right, and I
    think it would be hard to help me without seeing everything is going on.

    just a note, my add button works great!, it's the edit button, and the
    ability to page that is giving me flack. I'm tryhing this page from scratch,
    instead of using a template or example. I have done that., and got ti to
    work. Now I'm just going from books that I have and examples of functions.
    I appreaciate all who help us newbies, I know I'm always learning from the
    little tidbits of knowledge that get posted on this board.

    Rudy

    <CODE>
    System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    If Not Page.IsPostBack Then

    Dim connUinv As New SqlConnection(strConnString)
    Dim cmdSelect As SqlCommand

    'Hide panel "pnladd"
    pnlAdd.Visible = False

    'Create a command object for query, using a SP
    cmdSelect = New SqlCommand("UinvSelect", connUinv)
    cmdSelect.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
    'Create a DataAdapter
    Dim daUinv As New SqlDataAdapter
    daUinv.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    'Populate Dataset
    Dim dsUinv As New DataSet
    daUinv.Fill(dsUinv)
    connUinv.Close()

    'Specify the datasource call databind
    grdUinv.DataSource = dsUinv
    grdUinv.DataBind()
    End If

    End Sub
    Protected strConnString As String =
    ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnString")
    Public strMsg As String
    Public strErrorMsg As String

    'Create the connection, made a "strconnection" in web config
    Sub BindDataGrid()
    Dim connUinv As New SqlConnection(strConnString)
    Dim cmdSelect As SqlCommand

    cmdSelect = New SqlCommand("Select * From IMSProducts", connUinv) '
    Order by " & strSortField, connUinv)
    connUinv.Open()
    grdUinv.DataSource = cmdSelect.ExecuteReader
    'COMMENTED THIS LINE OUT, AND NOW EDIT COMMAND WORKS, uncommeted it
    doesn't work
    grdUinv.DataBind()

    connUinv.Close()

    End Sub
    'This create a new dataset if needed because cache requires it
    Private Function CreateDataSet() As DataSet
    Dim strNewDS As String = "SELECT * " & _
    "FROM IMSProducts"

    Dim connNewDS As New SqlConnection(strConnString)
    connNewDS.Open()
    Dim cmdSelect As New SqlCommand(strNewDS, connNewDS)
    Dim DAUinv As New SqlDataAdapter(cmdSelect)
    Dim dsUinv As New DataSet
    DAUinv.Fill(dsUinv)

    Return dsUinv

    End Function
    Private Sub GetDataSource()
    'If the dat can be found in cache, use it
    If Not IsNothing(Cache("dvproducts")) Then
    'All items in the cache are of type Object, explicitly cast it
    before working with it further
    dvProducts = CType(Cache("dvProducts"), DataView)
    'if dataview was not found in the cache, create a new dataview
    Else : dvProducts = CreateDataSet().Tables(0).DefaultView
    'put the new dataview in the cache
    Cache("dvProducts") = dvProducts
    End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub BindgrdUinv()
    'This line allows the the datagrid to come back after the save
    command is thrown
    GetDataSource()

    With grdUinv
    .DataSource = dvProducts
    .DataBind()
    End With
    End Sub
    Private Sub grdUinv_SortCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridSortCommandEventArgs) Handles
    grdUinv.SortCommand
    'This allows you to sort by the columns

    End Sub

    Private Sub btnAddNew_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles btnAddNew.Click
    'Clear any existing values and show the edit form

    If pnlAdd.Visible Then
    txtProdName.Text = ""
    txtModNum.Text = ""
    txtSrp.Text = ""
    txtCost.Text = ""
    txtQty.Text = ""
    chkEbay.Checked = False
    chkSold.Checked = False
    txtComment.Text = ""
    Else
    pnlAdd.Visible = True
    End If

    'A command Argument value as a flag for the saveitem method
    'This gets reste in the Datagrid_Itemcommnad event handler so that
    if the
    'user clciks any item in the Datagrid the app ceases to be in "Add"
    mode

    btnSave.CommandArgument = "Add"
    End Sub
    Private dvProducts As DataView

    Private Sub SaveItem()
    Dim strSave As String

    '' If btnSave.CommandArgument = "add" Then
    strSave = _
    "INSERT INTO IMSProducts " & _
    "(ProductName, ModelNumber, UnitSRP, UnitCost, UnitsInStock, Ebay,
    Sold, Comments)" & _
    "Values " & _
    "(@ProductName, @ModelNumber, @UnitSRP, @UnitCost, @InStock, @Ebay,
    @Sold, @Comments)"

    '' End If
    Dim connUinv As New SqlConnection(strConnString)
    Dim cmdSave As New SqlCommand(strSave, connUinv)

    'Add al the required SQL parameters
    With cmdSave.Parameters
    'The product ID parameter is only needed for updating

    If btnSave.CommandArgument <> "Add" Then

    .Add(New SqlParameter("@ProductID", SqlDbType.Int)).Value = _
    CInt(grdUinv.DataKeys(grdUinv.SelectedIndex).ToString =
    txbProductID.Text)
    End If
    'the rest of the text fields in panel
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@ProductName", _
    SqlDbType.NVarChar, 40)).Value = txtProdName.Text
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@ModelNumber", _
    SqlDbType.NVarChar, 50)).Value = txtModNum.Text
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@UnitSRP", _
    SqlDbType.Money, 8)).Value = CDbl(txtSrp.Text)
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@UnitCost", _
    SqlDbType.Money, 8)).Value = CDbl(txtCost.Text)
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@InStock", _
    SqlDbType.Int, 4)).Value = CInt(txtQty.Text)
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@ebay", _
    SqlDbType.Bit)).Value = chkEbay.Checked
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@Sold", _
    SqlDbType.Bit)).Value = chkSold.Checked
    .Add(New SqlParameter("@Comments", _
    SqlDbType.NVarChar, 200)).Value = txtComment.Text

    End With

    Try
    connUinv.Open()
    cmdSave.ExecuteNonQuery()
    Cache.Remove("dvProducts")
    BindgrdUinv()

    lblMsg.Text = ("Your a star!! Product successfully saved!.")
    pnlAdd.Visible = True

    Catch exp As Exception
    lblMsg.Text = "Databse error! Product not saved to the " & _
    "database. Error mesaage: " & exp.Message
    Finally
    connUinv.Close()

    End Try
    End Sub

    Private Sub btnSave_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click
    If IsValid Then
    SaveItem()
    txtProdName.Text = ""
    txtModNum.Text = ""
    txtSrp.Text = ""
    txtCost.Text = ""
    txtQty.Text = ""
    chkEbay.Checked = False
    chkSold.Checked = False
    txtComment.Text = ""
    End If

    End Sub

    Private Sub grdUinv_ItemCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles
    grdUinv.ItemCommand

    If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Pager Or _
    e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Header Then Exit Sub
    grdUinv.EditItemIndex = -1

    '' Dim btn As Button = CType(e.CommandSource, Button)
    '' If btn.Text = "Edit" Then
    '' txbProductID.Text = e.Item.Cells(1).Text
    '' txtProdName.Text = e.Item.Cells(2).Text
    '' txtModNum.Text = e.Item.Cells(3).Text
    '' txtSrp.Text = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Right(e.Item.Cells(4).Text, _
    '' Len(e.Item.Cells(4).Text) - 1)
    '' txtCost.Text =
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.Right(e.Item.Cells(5).Text, _
    '' Len(e.Item.Cells(5).Text) - 1)
    '' txtQty.Text = e.Item.Cells(6).Text
    '' chkEbay.Checked = _
    '' CType(e.Item.Cells(7).FindControl("chkEbay"), _
    '' CheckBox).Checked
    '' chkSold.Checked = _
    '' CType(e.Item.Cells(8).FindControl("chkSold"), _
    '' CheckBox).Checked
    '' pnlAdd.Visible = True
    '' Else

    '' End If
    End Sub

    Private Sub grdUinv_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles
    grdUinv.EditCommand

    grdUinv.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex
    BindDataGrid()

    End Sub

    Private Sub grdUinv_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object,
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles grdUinv.SelectedIndexChanged

    End Sub
    End Class

    Rudy, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Rudy

    Rudy Guest

    It'a always something easy, turns out that "Allow Custom Paging" was false, I
    turned it on, my edit command works fine

    Rudy

    Rudy, Mar 17, 2005