Edit data in a gridview?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Robert Pettersson, May 15, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I have a problem. I want to have a gridview with data that I can edit in a
    simpel way. Easy right. I have tried 2 different ways:

    1) Presenting my data in a gridview and editing it in a detailsview.
    or
    2) Editing the data directly in my gridview with RowEditing,
    RowCancelingEdit and RowUpdating events.

    Both works great if I donĀ“t have a large numer of rows in my gridview. But
    if I have more than 100 rows in my gridview it is so slow it is not usable.

    I have also tried to put a gridview with more than 100 rows in a Ajax
    UpdatePanel, but that also makes the gridview function so slowly that it is
    not usable.

    Is there some way to get the UpdatePanel to work with databound control with
    a larger resultset or edit gridview data for a resultset larger than ~100
    rows??? I could turn on paging, but I want the user to get a good view of
    the complete result.

    If someone could give me some tips and tricks or a reference to an article
    wich handels this problem I would be very greatful! How do you guys solve a
    problem when you want to edit data for a large resultset?

    I have tried building it in old ASP where I iterate through a recordset and
    build a html-table. And that way is mush faster? Is that beacuse of all the
    overhead in the ASP.Net controles?

    Thanks,

    Robert

    Robert Pettersson, May 15, 2007