Edit webpage remotely

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Kabuki Armadillo, Jan 19, 2009.

  1. I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    "brochure" site.

    Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to edit online lists
    of clients, perhaps in some sort of spreadsheet form. The idea is that his
    staff would update online lists of students for the various first aid
    courses he teaches.

    He doesn't want to deal with the html behind the scenes -- just the text /
    data.

    Is such a thing possible without programming? I don't want to learn
    programming for just this guy.

    I was wondering if there was some server-side solution. I have used
    javascripts from script farms for some simple stuff. Is there a way to
    accomplish this with javascript? Say download the file, edit and then upload
    it again "invisibly"?

    The other approach I'm thinking is to simply recommend one of the many free
    file-hosting sites.

    Or, perhaps someone knows of an online service that offers this?

    Thoughts, suggestions?

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jan 19, 2009

  2. "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Kabuki Armadillo wrote:
    >> I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    >> "brochure" site. Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to
    >> edit online lists of clients

    > The simplest thing for both you and him I can think of is to keep the list
    > in a separate text file that he can edit and upload to the server. Then on
    > the Web page where it is displayed use an include (SSI or PHP) to pull the
    > data in from the text file. I wouldn't mess with javascript because some
    > of the visitors to the site may have it disabled in their browser.

    Doesn't that mean I'm into programming though?

    I know generally how the include function works but I didn't realize that it
    gave me remote "editability"

    Can you give me an example -- online or one of your own -- how I would use
    this?

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jan 19, 2009

  3. On Jan 19, 1:13 pm, "Kabuki Armadillo" <>
    wrote:
    > I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    > "brochure" site.
    >
    > Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to edit online lists
    > of clients, perhaps in some sort of spreadsheet form. The idea is that his
    > staff would update online lists of students for the various first aid
    > courses he teaches.
    >
    > He doesn't want to deal with the html behind the scenes -- just the text /
    > data.
    >
    > Is such a thing possible without programming? I don't want to learn
    > programming for just this guy.
    >
    > I was wondering if there was some server-side solution. I have used
    > javascripts from script farms for some simple stuff. Is there a way to
    > accomplish this with javascript? Say download the file, edit and then upload
    > it again "invisibly"?
    >
    > The other approach I'm thinking is to simply recommend one of the many free
    > file-hosting sites.
    >
    > Or, perhaps someone knows of an online service that offers this?
    >
    > Thoughts, suggestions?

    The easiest way is to display the Excel spreadsheet directly. You can
    link to the spreadsheet which will then maintain all its formatting.
    When it is to be updated then just replace the spreadsheet.

    Helpful person, Jan 19, 2009
  4. On Jan 19, 3:14 pm, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Helpful person wrote:
    > > On Jan 19, 1:13 pm, "Kabuki Armadillo" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    > >> "brochure" site.

    > >> Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to edit online lists
    > >> of clients, perhaps in some sort of spreadsheet form. The idea is that his
    > >> staff would update online lists of students for the various first aid
    > >> courses he teaches.

    > >> He doesn't want to deal with the html behind the scenes -- just the text /
    > >> data.

    > >> Is such a thing possible without programming? I don't want to learn
    > >> programming for just this guy.

    > >> I was wondering if there was some server-side solution. I have used
    > >> javascripts from script farms for some simple stuff. Is there a way to
    > >> accomplish this with javascript? Say download the file, edit and then upload
    > >> it again "invisibly"?

    > >> The other approach I'm thinking is to simply recommend one of the many free
    > >> file-hosting sites.

    > >> Or, perhaps someone knows of an online service that offers this?

    > >> Thoughts, suggestions?

    > > The easiest way is to display the Excel spreadsheet directly.  You can
    > > link to the spreadsheet which will then maintain all its formatting.
    > > When it is to be updated then just replace the spreadsheet.

    > If you just link to it the site visitor will need to have Excel on his
    > computer and launch it to view the spreadsheet.  Similar issue to using
    > javascript:  The visitor may have it turned off in his browser.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net
    > Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?

    Yes that's true. However, how many people today cannot read an XLS
    file? Otherwise the uploaded file is going to need to be formatted.

    Helpful person, Jan 19, 2009
    wrote:
    > I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    > "brochure" site.
    >
    > Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to edit online lists
    > of clients, perhaps in some sort of spreadsheet form. The idea is that his
    > staff would update online lists of students for the various first aid
    > courses he teaches.

    > The easiest way is to display the Excel spreadsheet directly. You can
    > link to the spreadsheet which will then maintain all its formatting.
    > When it is to be updated then just replace the spreadsheet.

    Sorry, but I don't understand this. Displaying the spreadsheet directly
    doesn't give you the ability to update it directly AFAIK.

    Or, are you suggesting downloading the spreadsheet, updating and then
    uploading it again?

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jan 19, 2009
  6. On Jan 19, 4:06 pm, "Kabuki Armadillo" <>
    wrote:

    > Or, are you suggesting downloading the spreadsheet, updating and then
    > uploading it again?

    Yes

    Helpful person, Jan 19, 2009
  7. On Jan 19, 4:19 pm, Helpful person <> wrote:
    > On Jan 19, 4:06 pm, "Kabuki Armadillo" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Or, are you suggesting downloading the spreadsheet, updating and then
    > > uploading it again?

    > Yes

    Sorry, I meant updating it in real time on the server. That way two
    people couldn't be trying to change it at the same time.

    Helpful person, Jan 19, 2009
  8. Kabuki Armadillo

    dorayme Guest

    In article <6p3dl.98596$>,
    "Kabuki Armadillo" <> wrote:

    > I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    > "brochure" site.
    >
    > Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to edit online lists
    > of clients, perhaps in some sort of spreadsheet form. The idea is that his
    > staff would update online lists of students for the various first aid
    > courses he teaches.
    >
    > He doesn't want to deal with the html behind the scenes -- just the text /
    > data.
    >
    > Is such a thing possible without programming? I don't want to learn
    > programming for just this guy.
    >
    > I was wondering if there was some server-side solution. I have used
    > javascripts from script farms for some simple stuff. Is there a way to
    > accomplish this with javascript? Say download the file, edit and then upload
    > it again "invisibly"?
    >
    > The other approach I'm thinking is to simply recommend one of the many free
    > file-hosting sites.
    >
    > Or, perhaps someone knows of an online service that offers this?
    >
    > Thoughts, suggestions?

    You don't have to learn programming but you will be able to solve this
    if you have a php script in your name.html to process a csv file.

    It works like this, your client alters a spreadsheet how he likes,
    exports it or saves it as a CSV (comma separated values) file. This
    latter is a text file that is formatted a simple way with each row
    represented by a line and each cell on the row represented by comma
    separated text.

    This CSV file is uploaded with the name "name.csv" to the server (you or
    your client can do this easily). Ready and waiting for it is an html
    file that you have prepared, inside of which is some code that looks
    like this:

    <?php

    $filename = "1-9.csv"; //here's the filename

    $id = fopen($filename, "r"); //open the file
    while ($data = fgetcsv($id, filesize($filename))) //start a loop
    $table[] = $data; //put each line into its own entry in the $table array
    fclose($id); //close file

    echo "<table id=\"spreadsheet\" cellspacing=\"0\">";

    foreach($table as $row)
    {
    echo "<tr>";
    foreach($row as $data)
    echo "<td>$data&nbsp;</td>";
    echo "</tr>\n";
    }

    echo "</table>\n";

    ?>

    When this part of the html file is being scanned by the server (it will
    be set up to note php code), it will then make up the html table
    properly grabbing all the values in the CSV file.

    You then end up with a proper html table, just what is wanted.

    Here is an example of the sort of thing that results using pretty well
    the code above. On the server, there is a file called a.csv and a file
    called a.html. The html file you can see in View Source except that
    where the table is, the actual one has the code above, it has been
    executed already by the time it reaches the browser:

    <http://www.khs.org.au/historian_database/a.html>

    Ignore the javascript on it as this is just for an inessential striping
    effect.

    You might be able to get some help tailoring your particular php
    requirement to your context at php.alt. Once set, you won't need to
    fiddle with it.

    And, you can either have the client upload the CSV file (which he will
    prepare from his spreadsheet program, it is just a matter of a saving it
    in as CSV) or he can send it or the original spreadsheet to you to do. I
    always prefer this latter so I can run an eye out over it for any
    anomalies (there are a few hiccups that can happen when saving as CSV..
    but don't let this frighten you.).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 19, 2009
  9. "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <6p3dl.98596$>,
    > "Kabuki Armadillo" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    >> "brochure" site.
    >>
    >> Now he wants interactivity

    >> Is such a thing possible without programming? I don't want to learn
    >> programming for just this guy.

    > You don't have to learn programming but you will be able to solve this
    > if you have a php script in your name.html to process a csv file.
    >
    > It works like this, your client alters a spreadsheet how he likes,
    > exports it or saves it as a CSV (comma separated values) file.

    I understand your solution and, for me anyway, it's not insurmountable to
    implement.

    But I can tell this is already going to overwhelm some employees who are
    going to be overwhelmed by the import / export and uploading issues.

    Thx for the effort though.

    I'm thinking now I might use Google Docs, setting up an account for his
    employees who could all log on and edit via their browsers in real time. For
    me anyway, it's probably the path of least resistance, though I eventually
    would like to get a handle on this programming thing.

    Thanks again for all the input. . .

    Cheers,

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jan 19, 2009
  10. Kabuki Armadillo

    houghi Guest

    Kabuki Armadillo wrote:
    > I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    > "brochure" site.
    >
    > Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to edit online lists
    > of clients, perhaps in some sort of spreadsheet form. The idea is that his
    > staff would update online lists of students for the various first aid
    > courses he teaches.

    How many of these lists are we talking about?

    > I was wondering if there was some server-side solution. I have used
    > javascripts from script farms for some simple stuff. Is there a way to
    > accomplish this with javascript? Say download the file, edit and then upload
    > it again "invisibly"?

    I use on one site Tiny MCE. http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/ Basicaly I use
    php and the text I just include. I have removed everything that might
    distract the person from editing text. The person can only include text,
    make links, bold and italic. All the rest is removed.

    The hardest part was to let the person log in and have an icon they see
    once they are logged in, so they can click on it and be able to edit it,
    while others who can not log in are not able to edit.

    houghi

    houghi, Jan 19, 2009
  11. Kabuki Armadillo

    houghi Guest

    Helpful person wrote:
    > Sorry, I meant updating it in real time on the server. That way two
    > people couldn't be trying to change it at the same time.

    Now I am confused. I thought we were talking about textfiles and now we
    are talking about excel files? Those are, to me, complete different
    concepts.

    Also could you give an example of what would exactly needs to be updated
    and in what way. I asume there also needs to be some protection, because
    otherwise everybody will be able to change things.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

    houghi, Jan 19, 2009
  12. Kabuki Armadillo

    dorayme Guest

    In article <8%6dl.99392$>,
    "Kabuki Armadillo" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <6p3dl.98596$>,
    > > "Kabuki Armadillo" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm an html / css hobbyist. Was persuaded to set up a friend's business
    > >> "brochure" site.
    > >>
    > >> Now he wants interactivity

    > >> Is such a thing possible without programming? I don't want to learn
    > >> programming for just this guy.

    > > You don't have to learn programming but you will be able to solve this
    > > if you have a php script in your name.html to process a csv file.
    > >
    > > It works like this, your client alters a spreadsheet how he likes,
    > > exports it or saves it as a CSV (comma separated values) file.

    > I understand your solution and, for me anyway, it's not insurmountable to
    > implement.
    >
    > But I can tell this is already going to overwhelm some employees who are
    > going to be overwhelmed by the import / export and uploading issues.
    >
    > Thx for the effort though.
    >
    > I'm thinking now I might use Google Docs, setting up an account for his
    > employees who could all log on and edit via their browsers in real time. For
    > me anyway, it's probably the path of least resistance, though I eventually
    > would like to get a handle on this programming thing.
    >
    > Thanks again for all the input. . .

    I understand. Which is another reason I have inclined to let clients
    simply send me their spreadsheets and I export and upload, very few mins
    work for me, using the technique I outlined. But if your client needs
    immediate results, obviously this will not work unless you are available
    and ready to act when he or she wants!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 20, 2009
  13. Kabuki Armadillo

    Joy Beeson Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:41:23 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
    <> wrote:

    > However, how many people today cannot read an XLS
    > file?

    I can't.

    And if I had a copy, I wouldn't instantiate it just to read a Web
    site.

    Unless, of course, the students mentioned are studying spread sheets.
    --
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at comcast dot net

    Joy Beeson, Jan 20, 2009
  14. Kabuki Armadillo

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Jan 20, 8:43 am, dorayme <> wrote:
> [...]

    > called a.html. The html file you can see in View Source except that
    > where the table is, the actual one has the code above, it has been
    > executed already by the time it reaches the browser:
    >
    > <http://www.khs.org.au/historian_database/a.html>
    >
    > Ignore the javascript on it as this is just for an inessential striping
    > effect.
    >
    > You might be able to get some help tailoring your particular php
    > requirement to your context at php.alt. Once set, you won't need to
    > fiddle with it.
    >
    > And, you can either have the client upload the CSV file (which he will
    > prepare from his spreadsheet program, it is just a matter of a saving it
    > in as CSV) or he can send it or the original spreadsheet to you to do. I
    > always prefer this latter so I can run an eye out over it for any
    > anomalies (there are a few hiccups that can happen when saving as CSV..

    Thanks for this dorayme. I have been looking for this kind of a
    solution for the past few months. As I have a client who wants to
    convert a spreadsheet to a more web friendly format, to display on his
    website the members list of an association that he is setting up. This
    method should work perfectly. With the table though if you wanted
    parts of the data to have a different coloured background one would
    presume that you could just style the table.

    Chaddy2222, Jan 20, 2009
  15. "houghi" <> wrote in message
    > Kabuki Armadillo wrote:

    > I use on one site Tiny MCE. http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/ Basicaly I use
    > php and the text I just include. I have removed everything that might
    > distract the person from editing text. The person can only include text,
    > make links, bold and italic. All the rest is removed.

    Thx, I've filed this away for further review. Looks like it could be useful.
    .. .

    Kabuki Armadillo, Jan 20, 2009
  16. Kabuki Armadillo

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Chaddy2222 <> wrote:

    > On Jan 20, 8:43 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > In article <6p3dl.98596$>,
    > >  "Kabuki Armadillo" <> wrote:

    > > > Now he wants interactivity -- specifically would like to edit online
    > > > lists
    > > > of clients, perhaps in some sort of spreadsheet form. The idea is that
    > > > his
    > > > staff would update online lists of students for the various first aid
    > > > courses he teaches.

    > > > He doesn't want to deal with the html behind the scenes -- just the text

    > > ... On the server, ... a file called a.csv and a file
    > > called a.html. ...:

    > Thanks for this dorayme. I have been looking for this kind of a
    > solution for the past few months. As I have a client who wants to
    > convert a spreadsheet to a more web friendly format, to display on his
    > website the members list of an association that he is setting up. This
    > method should work perfectly. With the table though if you wanted
    > parts of the data to have a different coloured background one would
    > presume that you could just style the table.

    Yes, you could. I can tell you that one site I have with a lot of
    extensive tables, I could not face it and threw in that js you see and
    spent the time saved driving up Canterbury Rd and eating Lebanese food
    in Lakemba and such things... <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 20, 2009
  17. Kabuki Armadillo

    asdf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <>,
    > Chaddy2222 <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Jan 20, 8:43 am, dorayme <> wrote:

    >> > ... On the server, ... a file called a.csv and a file
    >> > called a.html. ...:

    >> Thanks for this dorayme. I have been looking for this kind of a
    >> solution for the past few months. As I have a client who wants to
    >> convert a spreadsheet to a more web friendly format, to display on his
    >> website the members list of an association that he is setting up. This
    >> method should work perfectly. With the table though if you wanted
    >> parts of the data to have a different coloured background one would
    >> presume that you could just style the table.

    > Yes, you could. I can tell you that one site I have with a lot of
    > extensive tables, I could not face it and threw in that js you see and
    > spent the time saved driving up Canterbury Rd and eating Lebanese food
    > in Lakemba and such things... <g>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Canterbury Rd eh? Radar locked on....

    :)

    asdf, Jan 20, 2009
  18. Kabuki Armadillo

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <49764c89$0$9529$>,
    "asdf" <> wrote:

    > and eating Lebanese food
    > > in Lakemba and such things... <g>

    > Canterbury Rd eh? Radar locked on....

    Coming from town, turn right at Haldon St... I said cheerfully to my
    dining companion who knew the place, "Hey, let's park here so I can pick
    up a beer at that pub there..." to which she replied, "No drinking at
    the eating place we are going to, it is muslim..."

    That stopped me in my tracks! The food was so good that water seemed
    quite appropriate with it anyway!

    (I was pulled over by NSW cops later and charged with being too far
    under the blood/alcohol limit. "Where do you think you are, mate" says
    the cop, "this is Australia. What's the bloody matter with yer?")

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 20, 2009
  19. Kabuki Armadillo

    asdf Guest

    Completely and utterly OT. (was Re: Edit webpage remotely)

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article
    > <49764c89$0$9529$>,
    > "asdf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> and eating Lebanese food
    >> > in Lakemba and such things... <g>

    >> Canterbury Rd eh? Radar locked on....

    > Coming from town, turn right at Haldon St... I said cheerfully to my
    > dining companion who knew the place, "Hey, let's park here so I can pick
    > up a beer at that pub there..." to which she replied, "No drinking at
    > the eating place we are going to, it is muslim..."
    >
    > That stopped me in my tracks! The food was so good that water seemed
    > quite appropriate with it anyway!
    >
    > (I was pulled over by NSW cops later and charged with being too far
    > under the blood/alcohol limit. "Where do you think you are, mate" says
    > the cop, "this is Australia. What's the bloody matter with yer?")
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Hahaha... I got something similar recently in Victoria...

    Random breath check...

    "Been drinking tonight, Sir"
    "Yes officer"
    "How much?"
    "Two glasses of wine over 3 hours at dinner"
    "Better blown in this then"
    *blowwwwwwwww*
    "Two glasses? You really weren't trying tonight, were you? I can't even
    detect it. Have a good evening"
    "Thank you officer, I will"

    Apparently the reading was 0.0, and actually, it was more like 4 glasses ;)

    Mind you, if I'd been mentally unstable, no doubt I'd have had my head blown
    off... ho hum.. "Such is Life" in Victoria :))

    asdf, Jan 21, 2009
  20. Kabuki Armadillo

    Joy Beeson Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 18:05:41 -0600, wayne <> wrote:

    > Download a copy of OpenOffice from http://openoffice.org
    > Handles all MS documents that I know of, except maybe Visio files. You
    > can save the files in nearly any format you want too.

    I have Open Office and use it a lot. If I ever instantiate it just to
    read a Web site, that is going to be one INTERESTING Web site.

    I can't imagine anyone dumb enough to write a Web site that can't be
    read with a browser saying anything that interesting -- unless it's an
    essay *about* Open Office, and I need to have it open so I can do the
    exercises.

    Joy Beeson, Jan 23, 2009