Edit word doc and save back to website

Guest

Hi;

I've see this done so I know it's possible. How can I set things up so a
user clicks on a rtf file on the website, that launches it in Word where they
edit it, and then when they click the save button in Word, it uploads it back
up to me?

And can I get an event when they exit word so I know I have the final save
so I'm not saving a version for each save they clicked while editing?

Bruce Barker

install webdav support on the server (comes with sharepoint)

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Wei-Dong XU [MS]

Hi,

For the Sharepoint, it uses the Frontpage server extension RPC method on
the client-server communication. As I know, Word internally could use
several methods on the file uploading: WebDAV, FTP or Frontpage RPC etc.

WebDav is one http extension which is well introduced at this site:
http://www.webdav.org/

"How can I set things up so a user clicks on a rtf file on the website"
This is handled by MIME type when we are downloading one file. This web
cast will be of great help for you on this issue:
293336 INFO: WebCast: MIME Type Handling in Microsoft Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;293336

"... it uploads it back up to me ..."
If you are setting one web dav folder at the server, then you will need to
upload the file in WebDAV. If that is a pure virtual directory, you could
use the normal HTTP post to upload the file. This is to say, the uploading
is all controlled by your server side setting.

"...And can I get an event when they exit word ..."
I'd suggest please develop one Word COM add-in monitoring the Word event.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further question on this
issue.

Best Regards,
Wei-Dong XU
Microsoft Support