Editable datagrids and dropdown lists

Philip Townsend

I have a datagrid that contains a dropdown list that is part of an
EditItemTemplate. I need to run some code when the dropdown list builds
in order to preselect an item in the list. Preselecting the item is not
the problem. The problem is that the dropdown object is not instantiated
at the point at which the Edit button is clicked, or at any other
obvious step in the process. In other words, when a user clicks the Edit
(EditCommand) button, I want to loop through all the listitems in the
dropdown list and compare the value to a predfined value. The problem is
that I do not know where to place the code, since the control is not
instantiated. All I get are NullReferenceExcepions. Any clues? Thanks...

Matt Hawley

Hi Robert,

ASP.NET is separate from VS.NET, and is really a framework for web applications. VS.NET is a IDE that you use to create ASP.NET web applications. The option you are seeing is the option to enable ASP.NET hosting in IIS 6.0 on the server. If you plan on doing development by installing VS.NET 2003, or rather, plan on just hosting ASP.NET applications, you need to enable ASP.NET.

Aside from not having ASP.NET active in IIS 6.0, you should have no problems installing VS.NET 2003 on the server.

Matt Hawley, MCAD .NET
http://www.eworldui.net

Hi.

When installing a windows 2003 server, the option to install IIS 6.0
also shows an item called ASP.NET. What is the purpose of this option?

I heard that windows 2003 already has the .NET Framework inside it.
Can I install VS.NET 2003 without problems on a windows 2003 server
machine, or will I overwrite the version that comes with windows 2003?

Thanks,
Robert Scheer