EditCommand event in Datagrid question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Robert Pettersson, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have a few questions about the EditCommand event in the DataGrig in
    asp.net.

    When I get to the EditCommand event in my code I need to set the row that is
    to be updated and then rebind the data
    to the DataGrid. This is where I have my question, when I rebind the data.
    If I make another call to the database, and
    reload the data, I´m not sure that I will get the same result. Data may have
    been inserted since I loaded the DataGrid
    the last time. And then the item that will be selected for edititng can be
    the wrong one! And if I keep the datatable in
    a viewstate or a sessionstate, the EditCommand event will be very slow if
    its a little bigger DataSet/result that I´m working
    with. It works ok if I have like 10-20 rows and not that many columns, but
    often you work with bigger results then that.

    I´m have been looking at sites that explains how to implement the
    EditCommand event, but I haven´t found anything on how the best way to get
    good performence and the correct result.

    If anyone can give me any good tips I would be very greatful!

    Thanks,

    Robert
    Robert Pettersson, Jun 9, 2004