Editing .aspx/.ascx of precompiled web site (Project Portfolio Server Web Access)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Handle, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. Handle

    Handle Guest

    I want to customize some aspx / ascx files of a precompiled site (the
    project portofolio web access site). I have no access to source code.

    Using Visual Studio, when I try to edit one these files in "design view", I
    get the following two categories of errors:

    1) Some "Cannot switch views" errors, like the following:

    "Cannot switch views: This end tag has no matching start tag."
    "Cannot switch views: Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Element '
    myElement ' cannot be nested within element 'body'."
    "Cannot switch views: Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Attribute 'align'
    can be specified only once in a tag."

    2) MANY "Element 'myElement' is not a known element.." errors, as:

    "Element 'Benefits' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a
    compilation error in the Web site"

    In relation to registered user controls, like:
    ..
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="WP" TagName="Schedule"
    Src="../Parts/Projects/Schedule.ascx" %>
    ..

    The web site I´m trying to customize is the Project Portfolio 2007 Web
    Access (fresh install and working properly).

    Using VS 2005 SP1, opening the site by using the "Open site" from "file"
    menu.

    Handle, Dec 4, 2007

  2. Handle

    coolCoder Guest

    Re: Editing .aspx/.ascx of precompiled web site (Project PortfolioServer Web Access)

    On Dec 4, 9:10 pm, "Handle" <> wrote:
    > I want to customize some aspx / ascx files of a precompiled site (the
    > project portofolio web access site). I have no access to source code.
    >
    > Using Visual Studio, when I try to edit one these files in "design view", I
    > get the following two categories of errors:
    >
    > 1) Some "Cannot switch views" errors, like the following:
    >
    > "Cannot switch views: This end tag has no matching start tag."
    > "Cannot switch views: Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Element '
    > myElement ' cannot be nested within element 'body'."
    > "Cannot switch views: Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Attribute 'align'
    > can be specified only once in a tag."
    >
    > 2) MANY "Element 'myElement' is not a known element.." errors, as:
    >
    > "Element 'Benefits' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a
    > compilation error in the Web site"
    >
    > In relation to registered user controls, like:
    > .
    > <%@ Register TagPrefix="WP" TagName="Schedule"
    > Src="../Parts/Projects/Schedule.ascx" %>
    > .
    >
    > The web site I´m trying to customize is the Project Portfolio 2007 Web
    > Access (fresh install and working properly).
    >
    > Using VS 2005 SP1, opening the site by using the "Open site" from "file"
    > menu.

    These errors are related to the XML validation. Try changing the XML
    validation from the context menu on the html code itself. Try changing
    it to some older browser config. Hope this helps.

    coolCoder, Dec 4, 2007

  3. Handle

    Handle Guest

    >These errors are related to the XML validation. Try changing the XML
    >validation from the context menu on the html code itself. Try changing
    >it to some older browser config. Hope this helps.

    I disabled validation from "tools" --> "options" -- it did not work.

    Handle, Dec 4, 2007