Editing HTML Page

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by invincible, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. invincible

    invincible Guest

    All,

    I have a problem which I thought of discussing with you lot so as to
    get your views on the solution.

    In my intranet there is an section where we have our customer details.
    This is fairly straight as all the details are saved in customer.log
    file on the unix directory.

    There is one index.cgi file which has certain columns which allow us
    to add customer and search by several fields including customer name,
    location etc.

    Now the PROBLEM: We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
    As told before the details are stored in
    customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
    index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .

    Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
    creating a new link in index.cgi.

    Sample fields in the index.cgi is as below.


    <tr><td>Almstrong</td><td>Cust Name</td><td>Shit Bing</td><td>Liabel
    Support Team</td><td>Number:</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Almstrong</td><td>Cust Name</td><td>Dove Solo</td><td>Liabel
    Support Team</td><td>Number:</td></tr>

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Ciao.
     
    invincible, Jul 18, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. invincible

    J. Gleixner Guest

    invincible wrote:
    [...]
    > Now the PROBLEM: We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
    > As told before the details are stored in


    Many people don't know or remember the details you may have posted.

    > customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
    > index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .
    >
    > Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
    > creating a new link in index.cgi.

    [...]
    Parse the file. in your CGI.
    Display the data in an HTML form.
    When it's submitted, the CGI will parse the input and rewrite the file.
    ( Note the permissions on the file need to be writable by the owner
    of the process running the Web server. )

    Start by learning about CGI and the different elements HTML provides
    in a form. When you're ready to program it, there are many
    options that will help, usually CGI can tackle it:

    perldoc CGI
     
    J. Gleixner, Jul 18, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. invincible

    Bill H Guest

    On Jul 18, 2:20 pm, invincible <> wrote:
    > All,
    >
    > I have a problem which I thought of discussing with you lot so as to
    > get your views on the solution.
    >
    > In my intranet there is an section where we have our customer details.
    > This is fairly straight as all the details are saved in customer.log
    > file on the unix directory.
    >
    > There is one index.cgi file which has certain columns which allow us
    > to add customer and search by several fields including customer name,
    > location etc.
    >
    > Now the PROBLEM:  We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
    > As told before the details are stored in
    > customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
    > index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .
    >
    > Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
    > creating a new link in index.cgi.
    >
    > Sample fields in the index.cgi is as below.
    >
    > <tr><td>Almstrong</td><td>Cust Name</td><td>Shit Bing</td><td>Liabel
    > Support Team</td><td>Number:</td></tr>
    > <tr><td>Almstrong</td><td>Cust Name</td><td>Dove Solo</td><td>Liabel
    > Support Team</td><td>Number:</td></tr>
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Ciao.


    Did you type this in or do you really have a field called "<td>Shit
    Bing</td>"?

    Bill H
     
    Bill H, Jul 18, 2008
    #3
  4. Bill H <> wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 2:20 pm, invincible <> wrote:


    >> <tr><td>Almstrong</td><td>Cust Name</td><td>Shit Bing</td><td>Liabel
    >> Support Team</td><td>Number:</td></tr>


    > Did you type this in or do you really have a field called "<td>Shit
    > Bing</td>"?



    If it was for testing, then everybody knows you should use:

    <td>Rich Bastard</td>


    --
    Tad McClellan
    email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.noitatibaher\100cmdat/"
     
    Tad J McClellan, Jul 19, 2008
    #4
  5. invincible

    invincible Guest

    On Jul 18, 11:55 pm, Bill H <> wrote:
    > On Jul 18, 2:20 pm,invincible<> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > All,

    >
    > > I have a problem which I thought of discussing with you lot so as to
    > > get your views on the solution.

    >
    > > In my intranet there is an section where we have our customer details.
    > > This is fairly straight as all the details are saved in customer.log
    > > file on the unix directory.

    >
    > > There is one index.cgi file which has certain columns which allow us
    > > to add customer and search by several fields including customer name,
    > > location etc.

    >
    > > Now the PROBLEM: We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
    > > As told before the details are stored in
    > > customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
    > > index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .

    >
    > > Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
    > > creating a new link in index.cgi.

    >
    > > Sample fields in the index.cgi is as below.

    >
    > > <tr><td>Almstrong</td><td>Cust Name</td><td>Shit Bing</td><td>Liabel
    > > Support Team</td><td>Number:</td></tr>
    > > <tr><td>Almstrong</td><td>Cust Name</td><td>Dove Solo</td><td>Liabel
    > > Support Team</td><td>Number:</td></tr>

    >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    >
    > > Ciao.

    >
    > Did you type this in or do you really have a field called "<td>Shit
    > Bing</td>"?
    >
    > Bill H


    It ws just for testing
     
    invincible, Jul 21, 2008
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest

    html editing control

    Guest, Sep 9, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    501
    JIMCO Software
    Sep 12, 2005
  2. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    386
    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]
    Sep 26, 2005
  3. LifeGuard
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    350
  4. John Dalberg
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    371
    Long - CM web hosting
    Apr 19, 2004
  5. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    613
Loading...

Share This Page