editing mutiple html files

Discussion in 'HTML' started by user, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. user

    user Guest

    I'm hoping someone can help me with this quirky problem.

    I'm making a website for my family (it's not online yet), using this great
    java script menu I found a few years ago:
    http://www.destroydrop.com/javascripts/tree/

    So here's the problem, the site has ballooned into 270+ HTML files, so if I
    want to edit (add/remove) anything in the menu (not the rest of the HTML
    file) - I have to edit all 270+ HTML files. Now I know a simple PERL script
    would solve this problem, but I'm PERL illiterate.

    I use Notepad 90% of the time, but I have FrontPage 2003 and WeBuilder 2006.

    Is there any program that would save me hours in copying/pasting all these
    files?
    I defiantly don't want go back to a Framed Design.

    Thanx for the help in advance

    USER MAN
    user, Aug 3, 2006

  2. "user" <> wrote in message

    > So here's the problem, the site has ballooned into 270+ HTML files, so if
    > I want to edit (add/remove) anything in the menu (not the rest of the HTML
    > file) - I have to edit all 270+ HTML files. Now I know a simple PERL
    > script would solve this problem, but I'm PERL illiterate.

    As long at the script text is identical there are lots of search'n'replace
    programs that will rip through a directory of files and replace all the text
    in one sweep. Two that I know of are Inforapid Search and Replace and
    Notetab Lite. Both of these are free. If you opt to use Notetab Lite, you'll
    have to have all the files open -- the program can open them all in one go,
    the only limiting facter would be your memory AFAIK.

    Notetab had the advantage in that if there is some slight variation in the
    text you can re-move all text formatting from all your files (I'm talking
    things such a line returns, tabs, etc not your HTML formatting), run the
    replace routine then have Notetab reformat the html files according to rules
    that you define. Or, you can opt to use html tidy which I believe integrates
    with the program.

    Michael Laplante, Aug 3, 2006

  3. user

    David Guest

    user wrote:
    > I'm hoping someone can help me with this quirky problem.
    >
    > I'm making a website for my family (it's not online yet), using this great
    > java script menu I found a few years ago:
    > http://www.destroydrop.com/javascripts/tree/
    >
    > So here's the problem, the site has ballooned into 270+ HTML files, so if I
    > want to edit (add/remove) anything in the menu (not the rest of the HTML
    > file) - I have to edit all 270+ HTML files. Now I know a simple PERL script
    > would solve this problem, but I'm PERL illiterate.
    >
    > I use Notepad 90% of the time, but I have FrontPage 2003 and WeBuilder 2006.
    >
    > Is there any program that would save me hours in copying/pasting all these
    > files?
    > I defiantly don't want go back to a Framed Design.
    >
    > Thanx for the help in advance
    >
    > USER MAN

    make your menu a include file and then in your page just include it
    using either .shtml or .php

    IE

    <?php include("/path/to/mainmenu.inc") ?>

    when displayed your menu will appear where the above line was placed
    within your web page.

    You could also use SSI to do this
    David, Aug 3, 2006
  4. user

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <N2tAg.181688$771.176849@edtnps89>, Michael Laplante
    <> writes

    >there are lots of search'n'replace programs that will rip through a
    >directory of files and replace all the text in one sweep.

    ....but be sure to work on a copy of your site, and test thoroughly
    before replacing the master copy!

    --
    Andy Mabbett
    Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

    Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>
    Andy Mabbett, Aug 3, 2006
  5. user

    mbstevens Guest

    user wrote:
    > I'm hoping someone can help me with this quirky problem.
    >
    > I'm making a website for my family (it's not online yet), using this great
    > java script menu I found a few years ago:

    > http://www.destroydrop.com/javascripts/tree/

    I looked at the link and then went to the examples. No <noscript>
    navigation is created by the program. I hope you did it by hand for
    your own pages.

    You should have provided a link to your own site, too.

    > So here's the problem, the site has ballooned into 270+ HTML files, so if I
    > want to edit (add/remove) anything in the menu (not the rest of the HTML
    > file) - I have to edit all 270+ HTML files. Now I know a simple PERL script
    > would solve this problem, but I'm PERL illiterate.

    You want a preprocessor or CGI page generaton or SSI.
    Google for all and evaluate.
    I'd also simplify my life and get rid of that javascript navigation.
    mbstevens, Aug 4, 2006
  6. On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:06:58 GMT, in alt.html "user"
    <> wrote:

    >Is there any program that would save me hours in copying/pasting all these
    >files?

    As has been mentioned, using SSI (Server Side Includes) is likely the
    best way to deal with your problem. If SSI is not an option, there are
    other possibilities...

    IFRAME (Inline FRAME)
    http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/special/iframe.html
    Sort of a browser-side include. I use it on my website (see sig),
    since my ISP does not enable SSI.

    Preprocessing with a third-party utility. I like XCHANGE from SadMan
    Software (http://www.sadmansoftware.com/xchange/index.html), but there
    are others.

    --
    William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas:
    The Carrier Project: http://home.grandecom.net/~cvproj/carrier.htm
    William Hughes, Aug 4, 2006
  7. user

    Ed Mullen Guest

    William Hughes wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:06:58 GMT, in alt.html "user"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any program that would save me hours in copying/pasting all these
    >> files?

    > As has been mentioned, using SSI (Server Side Includes) is likely the
    > best way to deal with your problem. If SSI is not an option, there are
    > other possibilities...
    >
    > IFRAME (Inline FRAME)
    > http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/special/iframe.html
    > Sort of a browser-side include. I use it on my website (see sig),
    > since my ISP does not enable SSI.
    >
    > Preprocessing with a third-party utility. I like XCHANGE from SadMan
    > Software (http://www.sadmansoftware.com/xchange/index.html), but there
    > are others.

    Since the site already is dependent upon javascript, and if SSI, CGI,
    PHP, or other server-side solutions are not possible to achieve the
    desired effects, one could use a javascript file for the menu which is
    loaded dynamically when each page is accessed. Hence, change one file
    and all the menus for all html files are changed. It's what I use to
    manage 203 html files on my site.

    Yes, yes, all the javascript arguments come into play. However, the OP
    said the site has a limited audience (as does mine). Life (and the
    Internet) is about compromises. This one can work if you understand the
    trade-offs and know your audience. To each his own, FYI.

    http://edmullen.net/siteinfo.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Aug 4, 2006
  8. user

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > the site has a limited audience (as does mine).

    A little rant, not in any way directed at either of the two above
    mentioned sites, which I'm sure are brimming with wonderfulness...

    I can't stand the concept of a "target audience". Why can't people/
    companies just be honest and say that their product is "of limited or
    no appeal to the general public".

    Every creator/inventor/designer/artist/author would love to reach the
    entire global audience (think of the sales!), but their lack of
    ambition/confidence/brilliance/vision leads them to create products
    that fall short of the ideal.

    When they realise that vast segments of the world population are
    disinterested in their creations, they are comforted by the notion
    that these people are "not their target audience" and thus may be
    ignored.

    "Yes, I'll create my website with hundreds of popups and lots of
    Flash navigation, and my target audience will love it because my
    target audience is people-who-love-hundreds-of-popups-and-Flash-
    navigation, or more specifically my target audience is people-who-
    love-my-site."

    The notion of a target audience itself becomes a moving target. One
    doesn't refine ones product to meet the needs of the target audience;
    one redefines the target audience so that it neatly co-incides with
    the people who would already buy your product.

    And thus the product is not improved.

    </rant>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 4, 2006
  9. user

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5n.co.uk>,
    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    > > the site has a limited audience (as does mine).

    > The notion of a target audience itself becomes a moving target. One
    > doesn't refine ones product to meet the needs of the target audience;
    > one redefines the target audience so that it neatly co-incides with
    > the people who would already buy your product.
    >
    > And thus the product is not improved.
    >
    > </rant>

    That was a good rant, much truth and enjoyable. One little
    niggle: you left out the opening tag.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 5, 2006
  10. user

    Toby Inkster Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > One little niggle: you left out the opening tag.

    <!ELEMENT RANT O - (#CDATA) -- preformatted rant -->

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 5, 2006
  11. user

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <5n.co.uk>, Toby Inkster
    <> writes

    >Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> the site has a limited audience (as does mine).

    >A little rant, not in any way directed at either of the two above
    >mentioned sites, which I'm sure are brimming with wonderfulness...
    >
    >I can't stand the concept of a "target audience". Why can't people/
    >companies just be honest and say that their product is "of limited or
    >no appeal to the general public".

    Because the "target audience" is often part of the "general public".

    >Every creator/inventor/designer/artist/author would love to reach the
    >entire global audience

    A fallacy.

    > (think of the sales!), but their lack of
    >ambition/confidence/brilliance/vision leads them to create products
    >that fall short of the ideal.

    Nonsense. Do you really think Rolex want to sell watches for everyone?
    They could make them from cheap plastic and sell them for a quid or two,
    if so.

    >When they realise that vast segments of the world population are
    >disinterested in their creations, they are comforted by the notion
    >that these people are "not their target audience" and thus may be
    >ignored.

    Indeed. So?

    >"Yes, I'll create my website with hundreds of popups and lots of
    >Flash navigation, and my target audience will love it because my
    >target audience is people-who-love-hundreds-of-popups-and-Flash-
    >navigation, or more specifically my target audience is people-who-
    >love-my-site."

    Now you're switching from companies, their designers, and their
    products, to their websites, Apples and pears.

    >The notion of a target audience itself becomes a moving target. One
    >doesn't refine ones product to meet the needs of the target audience;
    >one redefines the target audience so that it neatly co-incides with
    >the people who would already buy your product.
    >
    >And thus the product is not improved.

    And how would you improve, say, a Ferrari, so that everyone could own
    one?

    BTW, please see <>

    Andy Mabbett, Aug 5, 2006
  12. user

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Andy Mabbett wrote:

    > Nonsense. Do you really think Rolex want to sell watches for everyone?

    Not everyone, no; but *anyone*, yes.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 5, 2006