editing on the command line

greg

I want to output some text to the the terminal and allow the user to
edit it. Like the ability you get when using irb and go back in the
history. Basically a readline but the outputted text would be
editable instead of a prompt. I cannot find any way to do this using
standard tools or with any libraries. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robert Klemme

I want to output some text to the the terminal and allow the user to
edit it. Like the ability you get when using irb and go back in the
history. Basically a readline but the outputted text would be
editable instead of a prompt. I cannot find any way to do this using
standard tools or with any libraries. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you are on some kind of Unix your favorite shell usually offers this
service. IIRC Ruby comes with readline built in, so you might be able
to use it from a Ruby program. Does that help?

Kind regards

robert

greg

I am looking for cross-shell/platform compatibility, but if there is a
way to delegate this task to the shell I would be interested in
knowing anyways.
It seems there are over ten IRC libraries, which one are you referring
too? I doubt those libraries would be doing anything other than the
standard Readline.readline though.

Phillip Gawlowski

I am looking for cross-shell/platform compatibility, but if there is a
way to delegate this task to the shell I would be interested in
knowing anyways.
It seems there are over ten IRC libraries, which one are you referring
too? I doubt those libraries would be doing anything other than the
standard Readline.readline though.

Firstly:
A: It messes with the readability of responses.
Q: Why is top-quoting bad?

Secondly:
IIRC == "If I Remember Correctly" != Internet Relay Chat.

Thirdly:
Readline.readline is what Robert Klemme meant, if I parse the thread
correctly.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/

Eek! That was supposed to be My Special Law, _MY_ special law, I tell
you!

T/

greg

Phillip said:
Firstly:
A: It messes with the readability of responses.
Q: Why is top-quoting bad?

Secondly:
IIRC == "If I Remember Correctly" != Internet Relay Chat.

Thirdly:
Readline.readline is what Robert Klemme meant, if I parse the thread
correctly.

--
Phillip "CynicalRyan" Gawlowski
http://cynicalryan.110mb.com/
http://clothred.rubyforge.org

Eek! That was supposed to be My Special Law, _MY_ special law, I tell
you!

T/

Readline.readline does not have this capability.