editing pdf files with perl

aditya2507

Hi,

I have a collection of PDF files which are stored in a directory. These
PDF files follow a particular format. Each one of these files has some
fields in the first page which are left blank. I need to fill those
fields based on the input given by the user(s).
I CANNOT overwrite these PDF files since the data contained in them is
not elsewhere. I simply need to be able to edit and update the first
page of these PDF files.

Is there any way I can do this with Perl?

Thanks in advance :)

Aditya

pikus

Bill said:
Yes.

OTOH, your question is not a Perl question that is appropriate for this
newsgroup.

Please try posting the same question on the newsgroup comp.text.pdf, where
you'll likely get a few ideas, among which would be my response to your
posting there.

Good luck.

So why does this not qualify as an appropriate question for this group?
It certainly looks like a miscellaneous perl question to me... Plus I
want to know the answer but I'm lazy enough not to go to comp.text.pdf
to get it. :) Thanks. - pikus

aditya2507

Bill said:
OTOH, your question is not a Perl question that is appropriate for this
newsgroup.
I am not sure? :( I need to know how to do this in Perl, not any other
language.
Please try posting the same question on the newsgroup comp.text.pdf, where
you'll likely get a few ideas, among which would be my response to your
posting there.
But if you suggest, I will do so.

Good luck.

Thanks Bill.

Lambik

Hi,

I have a collection of PDF files which are stored in a directory. These
PDF files follow a particular format. Each one of these files has some
fields in the first page which are left blank. I need to fill those
fields based on the input given by the user(s).
I CANNOT overwrite these PDF files since the data contained in them is
not elsewhere. I simply need to be able to edit and update the first
page of these PDF files.

Is there any way I can do this with Perl?

Thanks in advance :)

Aditya

PDF::Reuse???

#Make a new temp-file
prFile('$date.pdf');

#import the templet
prDoc ( { file => $documentName,
first => $firstPage,
last => $lastPage } );

#assign a value to an interactive field
prField ( $fieldName, $value )

Bart Lateur

I have a collection of PDF files which are stored in a directory. These
PDF files follow a particular format. Each one of these files has some
fields in the first page which are left blank. I need to fill those
fields based on the input given by the user(s).
I CANNOT overwrite these PDF files since the data contained in them is
not elsewhere. I simply need to be able to edit and update the first
page of these PDF files.

Is there any way I can do this with Perl?

The module PDF::Reuse (see CPAN) is more or less made for situations
like this. To avoid disappointments, I'll tell you what it does. It
opens a PDF file, and you can *add* new stuff on top of the old stuff,
draw on it. It *does not* search and replace some template text in your
PDF file. For blank fields, this might just work.

aditya2507

Bart said:
The module PDF::Reuse (see CPAN) is more or less made for situations
like this. To avoid disappointments, I'll tell you what it does. It
opens a PDF file, and you can *add* new stuff on top of the old stuff,
draw on it. It *does not* search and replace some template text in your
PDF file. For blank fields, this might just work.

Hi,
yes, you are right. PDF::Reuse is the Perfect tool for the purpose I
wanted. You are also correct about what it does (and what it does not).
At least what you said more or less, sums it up.
Thanks a lot Bart, I really appreciate your message.
Aditya