    good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

    thank you very much,

    Marcelo

    Marcelo, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Marcelo said:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors
    > for C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming
    > and a good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

    For Linux programming, I use gdb for debugging and vim for editing, but the
    C language doesn't really care what you use.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Marcelo

    Chad Guest

    Marcelo wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors for
    > C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming and a
    > good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.
    >
    > thank you very much,
    >
    > Marcelo

    There is emacs. However, the learning curve for this editor is a bit on
    the steep side. In terms of debuggers, might want to check out DDD
    (Data Display Debugger). I'm not that sure if it comes with all Linux
    Distributions. It used to be included both RH Linux 9.1 and Suse Linux
    9.1

    Chad

    Chad, Dec 14, 2005
  4. On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:53:35 +0100, Marcelo wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors for
    > C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming and a
    > good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

    I usually use 'kate' as editor, which suits me. As a debugger, i usually
    employ gdb, which has quite a lot of (graphical) front-ends like GVD
    (which is a nice pun in dutch, by the way).

    Kleuskes & Moos, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Marcelo

    Guest

    Richard Heathfield schreef:

    > Marcelo said:
    >
    > > Hi everybody,
    > >
    > > I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors
    > > for C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming
    > > and a good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

    > For Linux programming, I use gdb for debugging and vim for editing, but the
    > C language doesn't really care what you use.

    As long as it's an ascii editor.

    Believe it or not, I once had to explain that using MSWord does not
    result in
    compilable code.

    , Dec 14, 2005
  6. said:

    > Richard Heathfield schreef:
    >
    >> For Linux programming, I use gdb for debugging and vim for editing, but
    >> the C language doesn't really care what you use.

    > As long as it's an ascii editor.

    No, C doesn't care about ASCII either. The ISPF/PDF editor works just fine,
    despite using EBCDIC rather than ASCII.

    > Believe it or not, I once had to explain that using MSWord does not
    > result in compilable code.

    Sure it does. Just tell it to save in plain text format.

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Marcelo

    J Guest

    J, Dec 14, 2005
  8. On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:04:05 +0000 (UTC), Richard Heathfield
    <> wrote:

    > said:

    <snip>
    > > Believe it or not, I once had to explain that using MSWord does not
    > > result in compilable code.

    > Sure it does. Just tell it to save in plain text format.

    Although for at least the past few versions of MSWord I have been
    unable, even after unticking zillions of checkboxes on dozens of
    dialogs, to stop it "correcting" XGronk to Xgronk or fooBar to FooBar.
    If what I were writing was actual C code this would be even more
    damaging than it is for documentation.
    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

    Dave Thompson, Dec 26, 2005
  9. Dave Thompson said:

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:04:05 +0000 (UTC), Richard Heathfield
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> said:

    > <snip>
    >> > Believe it or not, I once had to explain that using MSWord does not
    >> > result in compilable code.

    >> Sure it does. Just tell it to save in plain text format.

    > Although for at least the past few versions of MSWord I have been
    > unable, even after unticking zillions of checkboxes on dozens of
    > dialogs, to stop it "correcting" XGronk to Xgronk or fooBar to FooBar.
    > If what I were writing was actual C code this would be even more
    > damaging than it is for documentation.

    I have a source-level bug-fix for you. Simply replace the MS Word binary
    with (a compiled version of) the following:

    /* msword.c - Portable Edition */

    #include <stdio.h>
    int main(void)
    {
    puts("Dave, just use vim; you know you want to.");
    return 0;

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 26, 2005
  10. Marcelo

    Guest