Editor and Debugger in C

Marcelo

Hi everybody,

I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors for
C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming and a
good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

thank you very much,

Marcelo

Richard Heathfield

Marcelo said:
Hi everybody,

I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors
for C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming
and a good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

For Linux programming, I use gdb for debugging and vim for editing, but the
C language doesn't really care what you use.

Chad

Marcelo said:
Hi everybody,

I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors for
C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming and a
good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

thank you very much,

Marcelo

There is emacs. However, the learning curve for this editor is a bit on
the steep side. In terms of debuggers, might want to check out DDD
(Data Display Debugger). I'm not that sure if it comes with all Linux
Distributions. It used to be included both RH Linux 9.1 and Suse Linux
9.1

Chad

Kleuskes & Moos

Hi everybody,

I am supra beginner in c, and I don't have any clue about the best editors for
C. I am looking something like Eclipse for java, but for C programming and a
good debugger (if there is one) for LINUX.

I usually use 'kate' as editor, which suits me. As a debugger, i usually
employ gdb, which has quite a lot of (graphical) front-ends like GVD
(which is a nice pun in dutch, by the way).

kleuske

Richard Heathfield schreef:
Marcelo said:

For Linux programming, I use gdb for debugging and vim for editing, but the
C language doesn't really care what you use.

As long as it's an ascii editor.

Believe it or not, I once had to explain that using MSWord does not
result in
compilable code.

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
Richard Heathfield schreef:

As long as it's an ascii editor.

No, C doesn't care about ASCII either. The ISPF/PDF editor works just fine,
despite using EBCDIC rather than ASCII.
Believe it or not, I once had to explain that using MSWord does not
result in compilable code.

Sure it does. Just tell it to save in plain text format.

Dave Thompson

(e-mail address removed) said:

Sure it does. Just tell it to save in plain text format.

Although for at least the past few versions of MSWord I have been
unable, even after unticking zillions of checkboxes on dozens of
dialogs, to stop it "correcting" XGronk to Xgronk or fooBar to FooBar.
If what I were writing was actual C code this would be even more
damaging than it is for documentation.
- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

Richard Heathfield

Dave Thompson said:
Although for at least the past few versions of MSWord I have been
unable, even after unticking zillions of checkboxes on dozens of
dialogs, to stop it "correcting" XGronk to Xgronk or fooBar to FooBar.
If what I were writing was actual C code this would be even more
damaging than it is for documentation.

I have a source-level bug-fix for you. Simply replace the MS Word binary
with (a compiled version of) the following:

/* msword.c - Portable Edition */

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
puts("Dave, just use vim; you know you want to.");
return 0;