Editors again

Ivan Voras

Are there any editors besides IDLE that can display doc-strings[*] in
popups? I tried SPE and DrPython, and while they are ok (better said
'not horribly bad'), they don't seem to have that option.

I'd like to see in an editor:
- code-completion in case of functions, member variables etc.
("intelli-sense"? :) )
- useful usage of doc-strings, maybe integrated python Help/Manual support
- MDI or similar style, with good navigation (this is why I don't like
IDLE)

Actually, SPE is pretty close, but auto-completion seems to behave
'funny' sometimes, and no doc-string support I can see...

[*] Maybe I misnamed them. I was thinking of:
def f():
"""This is a doc-string"""
pass

Trent Mick

[Ivan Voras wrote]
Are there any editors besides IDLE that can display doc-strings[*] in
popups? I tried SPE and DrPython, and while they are ok (better said
'not horribly bad'), they don't seem to have that option.

I'd like to see in an editor:
- code-completion in case of functions, member variables etc.
("intelli-sense"? :) )
- useful usage of doc-strings, maybe integrated python Help/Manual support
- MDI or similar style, with good navigation (this is why I don't like
IDLE)

Actually, SPE is pretty close, but auto-completion seems to behave
'funny' sometimes, and no doc-string support I can see...

You could try Komodo. The recently released 3.0 has much better Python
autocomplete/calltip support. (Note: I work on Komodo so I am biased.)

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

Cheers,
Trent

jgilbert

Ivan said:
Are there any editors besides IDLE that can display doc-strings[*] in
popups? I tried SPE and DrPython, and while they are ok (better said
'not horribly bad'), they don't seem to have that option.

I'd like to see in an editor:
- code-completion in case of functions, member variables etc.
("intelli-sense"? :) )
- useful usage of doc-strings, maybe integrated python Help/Manual support
- MDI or similar style, with good navigation (this is why I don't like
IDLE)

Actually, SPE is pretty close, but auto-completion seems to behave
'funny' sometimes, and no doc-string support I can see...

[*] Maybe I misnamed them. I was thinking of:
def f():
"""This is a doc-string"""
pass

There is but one Python editor and his name is Eric3
(http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html).

I'm not associated with the project (tho I have sent in bugs), my bias is one of
deep fondness. It's written in Python (yay!) and uses QT for widgets. This means
that to run it under Windows I use Cygwin's X server and tunnel my X connection
through SSH. Piece of cake, really.

Yep.

Robert Kern

ChrisH said:
Doesn't it cost around $3000 for a Qt license to run the program?

He's describing a setup that uses Qt for X11 (which is released under
the GPL) that just happens to run on Windows (or at least the X server
runs on Windows). He is *not* using the Qt libraries that use native
Windows drawing calls (which is only available under a proprietary
license from Trolltech).

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Franz Steinhaeusler

Are there any editors besides IDLE that can display doc-strings[*] in
popups? I tried SPE and DrPython, and while they are ok (better said
'not horribly bad'), they don't seem to have that option.

Did you took a closer look to DrPython?

This feature is called CallTips in DrPython.
It is realized as plugin and you can it download from the plugin section
of downloads.
I'd like to see in an editor:
- code-completion in case of functions, member variables etc.
("intelli-sense"? :) )

there is also a plugin "AutoComplete".
- useful usage of doc-strings, maybe integrated python Help/Manual support

What do you mean exactly?
- MDI or similar style, with good navigation (this is why I don't like
IDLE)

All open Documents can be easily reached through the notebook-tabs.

HTH