editors/IDEs

Jamie Orchard-Hays

I'm curious what people are favoring for editors and IDEs for Ruby.
I've been playing with TextMate, but coming from Intellij, I miss all
the completion.

Thanks,
Jamie

Phlip

Jamie said:
I'm curious what people are favoring for editors and IDEs for Ruby.
I've been playing with TextMate, but coming from Intellij, I miss all
the completion.

Scite.

<a beat>

I'm such a laaaamer! I'm a sucker for hitting <F5>, and a script just runs!

Ollivier Robert

I'm curious what people are favoring for editors and IDEs for Ruby. I've
been playing with TextMate, but coming from Intellij, I miss all the
completion.

TextMate (which I also used and have registered) does completion
(based on what has alreay been typed in the file) and also has "snippets"
where you can completely define the completion (even with placeholders...).

Recommended (on OSX only though).

James Edward Gray II

TextMate (which I also used and have registered) does completion
(based on what has alreay been typed in the file) and also has
"snippets"
where you can completely define the completion (even with
placeholders...).

Recommended (on OSX only though).

I'm keeping an eye on TextMate. I'll even admit that it has some
features that I could really get into, but...

For my money, BBEdit is still king on Mac OS X. I've been using BBEdit
for many years now and it's just hard to beat the raw power that it
offers through an elegant interface, in my opinion.

The "Find..." dialog in BBEdit is quite possibly perfect. It's a
massive selection of options that allow you to quickly locate or change
anything in the current file or a group of files you can specify
countless different ways. Beyond that one dialog, there is a huge
"Search" menu that complements it wonderfully. I need that everyday
and couldn't live without it.

BBEdit's "Markup" menu is a handy tool, the "Text" manipulation menu
does most of the mundane tasks of text management for me, CVS and Unix
script integration is smooth, the new "Text Factories" make mass
editing trivial... I could go on and on.

One thing that REALLY sets BBEdit apart from other GUI editors though
is that you can have it anyway you like it. Open "Preferences..." and
your eyes will bulge. It takes awhile to figure out what everything
controls, but when you do, you'll edit in an environment customized to
the way you think. You can change any menu keyboard shortcut and add
your own. This means a lot to me. I want to edit how I want to edit,
not how some designer thinks I should want to edit.

To be fair, BBEdit's price tag comes with more than a little sticker
shock, though for me it has been very worth it. Also, along the lines
of the original post, BBEdit doesn't have an auto-completion feature
(save Glossary items you build). Code folding, another popular topic
here, is not yet implemented either.

My vote is BBEdit, but I know how personal attachment to an editor is.
Given that, I suggest that you try things out. Most editors offer some
form of "demo". Find what speaks to you and use that.

James Edward Gray II

Lothar Scholz

Hello Jamie,

JOH> I'm curious what people are favoring for editors and IDEs for Ruby.
JOH> I've been playing with TextMate, but coming from Intellij, I miss all
JOH> the completion.

I think that at the moment there are only 3 maybe 4 useable IDE's out
there (i sorted them by personal preference :) :

1) Arachno Ruby
2) XEmacs
3) VI
4) RDE (?)

At the moment none of them have completition (more then simple and unintelligent
repeated text completition). Even the best Ruby IDE written by the
best programmers with infinite time can't give you Code Insight that
is working correctly in more then a few percent of your code. Same
with refactoring. You are not using Java anymore so forget about most
of the tools you used with Intellij. With ruby you changed technology,
so you also have to change your tools and working style.

What you can expect is a really good integration of "ri"/rubydoc.
Unfortunately this is a very young technology that is now useable
with 1.8.2. So maybe in a year or so the situation is getting a little bit
better (for all IDE's that are under active development). At least for
Arachno Ruby i can promise you that this will happen during the next
spring/summer.

Zach Dennis

Lothar said:
Hello Jamie,

JOH> I'm curious what people are favoring for editors and IDEs for Ruby.
JOH> I've been playing with TextMate, but coming from Intellij, I miss all
JOH> the completion.

I think that at the moment there are only 3 maybe 4 useable IDE's out
there (i sorted them by personal preference :) :

1) Arachno Ruby
2) XEmacs
3) VI
4) RDE (?)

5) Eclipse w/the RDT plugin
6) SciTe (no fancy features except code folding)
7) Crimson Editor (no fancy features)
8) Mondrian IDE

Zach

Jamie Orchard-Hays

My trial period on BBEdit 8 just ran out and it hasn't convinced me to buy
it. It has a way of doing things that I don't quite like, though it is
improved. It doesn't do completion either. So, in that sense it doesn't
suite my purposes for Ruby either. I'm also surprised that its search tool
is slower than BBEdit Lite's and doesn't cache the results like TextPad
(Windoze tool) so it's faster the next time.

TextMate is pretty cool, but rough around the edges. It's got the Ruby menu,
but the last thing I want to do is use a menu-driven way of inserting
methods, blocks, etc. It's horribly ineffecient to me. Type reach for the
track pad, open menu, find, click. UGH! (Also something I don't like about
BBEdit's html menus.) I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it. Hopefully
they will get their emacs bindings straight.

SubEthaEdit actually is a bit richer in terms of its key bindings that
TextMate (the emacs bindings are better), but doesn't have the Ruby
integration and notion of projects.

My ideal editor would be something like TexMate with real completion ala irb
with completion on and then an ability to click through to classes and
methods, but now we're getting into IDE territory.

Jamie