    designers prefer.
    thanks!

    iceman

    iceman, Apr 10, 2005

  2. iceman

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Dylan Parry, Apr 10, 2005

  3. iceman wrote:

    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?HTML_editors

    We also prefer to read sentences which begin with capital letters, it makes
    paragraphs much easier to read.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Apr 10, 2005
  4. iceman

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > iceman wrote:
    >> i don't want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced
    >> html designers prefer.

    > HTML-Kit from Chami. http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

    Why is that such a good editor? I did a quick test some time ago and:
    - Converting a selection of paragraphs into a list only resulted in adding
    start- en end tags <ul></ul>
    - Not possible to convert (for example) comma separated text into a table
    - No possibility to apply classes or id's from stylesheets on selected text
    - Clumsy help dialogue

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Apr 10, 2005
  5. iceman wrote:
    > as a long time frontpage designer, i have finally learned the error of
    > my ways and have begun the switch to strict html and css.
    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.
    > thanks!

    I like Topstyle

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Apr 10, 2005
  6. iceman

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > - Converting a selection of paragraphs into a list only resulted in adding
    > start- en end tags <ul></ul>

    This problem is one that I found at first, but then realised that I was
    using the wrong tool. There is one button for applying <ol> or <ul>
    elements, and another for converting paragraphs to list items.

    Of course, you could write your own plugin to merge the two operations.
    This is the main reason that I find this editor good; I can write my own
    little plugins to automate monotonous tasks and insert code around and
    augment existing code.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Apr 10, 2005
  7. iceman

    the idiot Guest

    "iceman" <> wrote in message
    > as a long time frontpage designer, i have finally learned the error of
    > my ways and have begun the switch to strict html and css.
    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.
    > thanks!
    >
    > iceman

    i use ace html pro and top style.

    the idiot, Apr 10, 2005
  8. iceman

    mscir Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >
    >>iceman wrote:
    >>
    >>>i don't want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced
    >>>html designers prefer.

    >>HTML-Kit from Chami. http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

    > Why is that such a good editor? I did a quick test some time ago and:
    > - Converting a selection of paragraphs into a list only resulted in adding
    > start- en end tags <ul></ul>
    > - Not possible to convert (for example) comma separated text into a table
    > - No possibility to apply classes or id's from stylesheets on selected text
    > - Clumsy help dialogue

    Chami is still very involved in the development of HTML-Kit, if you
    follow his newsgroup it's not at all uncommon for him to generate a new
    plug-in very quickly (to do specific jobs like the ones you listed)
    based upon user requests. I dumped FrontPage and started using HTML-Kit
    and I've never had my html changed as FP sometimes did, no regrets.

    Mike

    mscir, Apr 10, 2005
  9. iceman wrote:
    > as a long time frontpage designer, i have finally learned the error of
    > my ways and have begun the switch to strict html and css.
    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.

    Good start with.
    http://www.html-faq.com/editor/?editors
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Apr 10, 2005
  10. iceman

    Toby Inkster Guest

    iceman wrote:

    > i don't want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced
    > html designers prefer.

    I like Nedit, but it's probably not a good choice on Windows. (There is a
    Windows version, but you'll need an X server to use it.)

    Try SciTE.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Apr 10, 2005
  11. iceman

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    mscir wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Dylan Parry wrote:

    >>> HTML-Kit from Chami. http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

    >> Why is that such a good editor? I did a quick test some time ago and:
    >> - Converting a selection of paragraphs into a list only resulted in
    >> adding start- en end tags <ul></ul>
    >> - Not possible to convert (for example) comma separated text into a
    >> table
    >> - No possibility to apply classes or id's from stylesheets on
    >> selected text
    >> - Clumsy help dialogue

    > Chami is still very involved in the development of HTML-Kit, if you
    > follow his newsgroup it's not at all uncommon for him to generate a
    > new plug-in very quickly (to do specific jobs like the ones you
    > listed) based upon user requests.

    Specific? IMO it's concerning tasks a webdesigner performs very often.

    > I dumped FrontPage and started
    > using HTML-Kit and I've never had my html changed as FP sometimes
    > did, no regrets.

    FP is a bad editor but it has the features I mentioned an never changed my
    HTML :)

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Apr 10, 2005
  12. iceman

    iceman Guest

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > mscir wrote:
    >
    >>Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >>>Why is that such a good editor? I did a quick test some time ago and:
    >>>- Converting a selection of paragraphs into a list only resulted in
    >>>adding start- en end tags <ul></ul>
    >>>- Not possible to convert (for example) comma separated text into a
    >>>table
    >>>- No possibility to apply classes or id's from stylesheets on
    >>>selected text
    >>>- Clumsy help dialogue

    >>Chami is still very involved in the development of HTML-Kit, if you
    >>follow his newsgroup it's not at all uncommon for him to generate a
    >>new plug-in very quickly (to do specific jobs like the ones you
    >>listed) based upon user requests.

    > Specific? IMO it's concerning tasks a webdesigner performs very often.
    >

    >>I dumped FrontPage and started
    >>using HTML-Kit and I've never had my html changed as FP sometimes
    >>did, no regrets.

    > FP is a bad editor but it has the features I mentioned an never changed my
    > HTML :)

    I've had tags dropped and formats improperly set up but didn't know it
    till i started getting into html seriously. Was greatly disturbed at
    what i saw and kind of embarressed at how unprofessional my
    "professional" work really was. Had to go back and change a ton of
    little things that FrontPage either missed or did wrong. Then there is
    the stuff it wouldn't let me do...

    iceman, Apr 10, 2005
  13. iceman

    Don Guest

    On 10 Apr 2005 iceman wrote in alt.html

    > as a long time frontpage designer, i have finally learned the error of
    > my ways and have begun the switch to strict html and css.
    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.
    > thanks!
    >
    > iceman

    brucies list

    HTML
    free:
    jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
    netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
    pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
    websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    tswebeditor: http://thaler.ennstal.at/tswebeditor/
    notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

    not free:
    textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
    notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
    editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
    ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
    editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
    hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
    namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
    acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
    ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
    spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/ [$80]

    PHP
    phpedit: http://phpedit.org/ [$0]
    Winsyntax: http://winsyntax.com/ [$0]
    HydraPHP: http://www.coldmind.com/ [comming soon]
    devphp: http://devphp.sourceforge.net/ [$0]
    phped: http://www.nusphere.com/products/ [$300]
    top php studio: http://www.top-systems.net/ [$30]
    dzsoft php editor: http://www.dzsoft.com/dzphp.htm [$40]
    Expert Editor: http://www.ankord.com/phpxedit.html [$35]
    komodo: http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/ [$30+]
    phpcoder: http://www.phpide.com/go/programs/php_coder.htm [$0]
    Davor's PHP Editor: http://www.pleskina.com/dphped/main.php [$0]
    maguma studio/workbench: http://www.maguma.com/products/?article=Studio
    {$40+]

    XML
    xopus: http://xopus.com/ [$850]
    editml: http://www.editml.com/ [$90+]
    xmlpro2: http://www.vervet.com/ [$0]
    cooktop: http://www.xmlcooktop.com/ [$0]
    xray: http://www.architag.com/xray/ [$0]
    xmlwriter: http://www.xmlwriter.net/ [$100]
    oxygen pro: http://www.oxygenxml.com/ [$100]
    blueprint: http://www.xmlblueprint.com/ [$45]
    xmlmind: http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/ [$0/$220]
    peters xml eiditor: http://www.iol.ie/~pxe/ [$0]
    xmlspy: http://www.xmlspy.com/products_ide.html [$400]
    morphon: http://www.morphon.com/xmleditor/index.shtml [$0]
    turboxml:
    http://www.tibco.com/solutions/products/extensibility/turbo_xml.jsp [$270]

    --
    Don

    Don, Apr 10, 2005
  14. iceman

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Don wrote:
    > iceman wrote

    >> i don't
    >> want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    >> designers prefer

    > brucies list
    > [enormous list with URL's of editors]

    That's not an answer to his question :)

    --
    Nico
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl

    Nico Schuyt, Apr 10, 2005
  15. "iceman" <> schreef in bericht
    > as a long time frontpage designer, i have finally learned the error of
    > my ways and have begun the switch to strict html and css.
    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.
    > thanks!
    >
    > iceman

    I use NVU http://www.nvu.com/
    It does has WYSIWYG features but one doesn't have to use it,
    its rendering engine is based on Mozilla's Gecko I believe.
    Next to that I use Topstyle, only cause I don't like NVU's CSS editor.
    There plenty free editors out there, try some and use the one you like best.

    Cheers,
    Samuël van Laere

    Samuël van Laere, Apr 11, 2005
  16. iceman

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:55:57 -0500, iceman <>
    wrote:

    >Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> mscir wrote:

    >>>Chami is still very involved in the development of HTML-Kit, if you
    >>>follow his newsgroup it's not at all uncommon for him to generate a
    >>>new plug-in very quickly (to do specific jobs like the ones you
    >>>listed) based upon user requests.

    >> Specific? IMO it's concerning tasks a webdesigner performs very often.
    >>

    >>>I dumped FrontPage and started
    >>>using HTML-Kit and I've never had my html changed as FP sometimes
    >>>did, no regrets.

    >> FP is a bad editor but it has the features I mentioned an never changed my
    >> HTML :)
    >>

    >I've had tags dropped and formats improperly set up but didn't know it
    >till i started getting into html seriously. Was greatly disturbed at
    >what i saw and kind of embarressed at how unprofessional my
    >"professional" work really was. Had to go back and change a ton of
    >little things that FrontPage either missed or did wrong. Then there is
    >the stuff it wouldn't let me do...

    Like halfway decent html.

    BB
    --
    www.kruse.co.uk/
    seo that loves a cuddle...

    Big Bill, Apr 11, 2005
  17. On 2005-04-10 12:25:19 -0400, iceman <> said:

    > as a long time frontpage designer, i have finally learned the error of
    > my ways and have begun the switch to strict html and css.
    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.
    > thanks!
    >
    > iceman

    The reason FrontPage is evil is in the proprietary markup it forces
    upon your work. As for any other editor, as long as you know how to
    properly code, it makes no difference what editor you use.

    William Hamby, Apr 12, 2005
  18. Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > I use NVU http://www.nvu.com/
    > its rendering engine is based on Mozilla's Gecko I believe.

    Its rendering engine is Gecko :)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Apr 12, 2005
  19. iceman wrote:
    > as a long time frontpage designer, i have finally learned the error of
    > my ways and have begun the switch to strict html and css.
    > during this process, notepad has been my tool but i see many other
    > editing programs out there such as ultraedit and top style. i don't
    > want a wyswyg program and was wondering what more experienced html
    > designers prefer.
    > thanks!
    >
    > iceman

    Used Metapad for a long time, http://liquidninja.com/metapad/ but it has
    a tendency to introduce 'non-printing characters' into the code that
    really messes up Perl scripts!

    Editpad Lite http://www.editpadlite.com/ pretty good, more features, and
    addons, especially with purchase of the 'Pro' version.

    Just stumbled upon Crimson Editor, http://www.crimsoneditor.com/ has
    much of what EditPad has, syntax highlighting and spell checking is
    nice, and it is freeware.

    CSE HTML Validator Lite, http://www.htmlvalidator.com/ has an editor
    with CSS and HTML tag macro buttons that insert 'tag templates' as you
    edit that can be handy and cut down on typos. The validation utility and
    be very useful.

    None of these are drag-n-drop wysiwyg editors, but you will assuredly
    create cleaner more efficient code than with FP, DW or Adobe GoLive!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO