    you like them.

    Thanks

    Pmb

    Pmb, May 24, 2004

  2. Pmb

    Petec Guest

    Pmb wrote:
    > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and
    > I'm not that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm
    > not sure if it was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com).
    > I'm trying the new version now but would like some advice and
    > comments on other editors and how you like them.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pmb

    If you're willing to pay ~$90, Microsoft VC++ 2003 is excellent.

    Some good free ones:
    - Crimson Editor
    - pcGRASP
    - Emacs

    - Pete

    Petec, May 24, 2004

  3. Pmb

    Derek Guest

    Pmb wrote:
    > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit
    > right now and I'm not that happy with it (I seem to have
    > an old edition and I'm not sure if it was made by the
    > same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
    > version now but would like some advice and comments on
    > other editors and how you like them.

    VC++ 2003 is one of my favorites. I also like TextPad as a
    lightweight editor. Both are Windows-only. SlickEdit is
    another editor I like -- it's almost an IDE, though. Lots
    of features and cross-platform, but rather costly.

    Derek, May 24, 2004
  4. Pmb

    Pmb Guest

    "Derek" <> wrote in message
    > Pmb wrote:
    > > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit
    > > right now and I'm not that happy with it (I seem to have
    > > an old edition and I'm not sure if it was made by the
    > > same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
    > > version now but would like some advice and comments on
    > > other editors and how you like them.

    > VC++ 2003 is one of my favorites. I also like TextPad as a
    > lightweight editor. Both are Windows-only. SlickEdit is
    > another editor I like -- it's almost an IDE, though. Lots
    > of features and cross-platform, but rather costly.

    TextPad! Ah! That's the one that I was thinking about. Thanks.

    Pmb

    Pmb, May 24, 2004
  5. Pmb

    Xenos Guest

    TextPad (http://www.textpad.com). Awesome editor.

    Xenos, May 24, 2004
  6. Pmb

    Jeff Relf Guest

    Hi Pmb,

    You asked, " Can someone suggest a good editor ? "

    I like Microsoft's Developers Studio.
    i.e. The IDE that came with VC++ 6.0 .

    But it has a number of short comings.
    And I haven't really explored other options.

    Jeff Relf, May 24, 2004
  7. Pmb

    Derek Guest

    Jeff Relf wrote:

    > You asked, " Can someone suggest a good editor ? "
    >
    > I like Microsoft's Developers Studio.
    > i.e. The IDE that came with VC++ 6.0 .
    >
    > But it has a number of short comings.
    > And I haven't really explored other options.

    VC7 is much better than VC6, both as a compiler and
    an editor/IDE. I wouldn't suggest VC6 to anyone now
    that 7 is available.

    Derek, May 24, 2004
  8. "Xenos" <> wrote in message

    > "Pmb" <> wrote in message
    > > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm

    not
    > > that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if

    it
    > > was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the

    new
    > > version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and

    > how
    > > you like them.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Pmb
    > >

    > TextPad (http://www.textpad.com). Awesome editor.

    Another good one (almost identical to TextPad) is EditPlus2. If you like
    one, you'll like the other.
    --
    Gary

    Gary Labowitz, May 24, 2004
  9. Pmb

    red floyd Guest

    GVim http://www.gvim.org

    red floyd, May 25, 2004
  10. Pmb

    red floyd Guest

    red floyd, May 25, 2004
  11. Pmb

    Luther Baker Guest

    Pmb wrote:

    > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
    > that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
    > was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
    > version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
    > you like them.

    Well, that depends on what you'd like to do.

    Let's see:

    Would you like syntax coloring? How about automatic indentation? What
    about built in CVS, RCS, rmail and gnu news? How about a calender? How
    about the ability to look at binary files? or edit them? How about the
    ability to write your own components to extend the editor? How about 5
    or 6 different ways to "style" your brackets and indentation for c, c++
    or java. How about python, perl, ruby, html, xml, xsl, c++ and c file
    recognition. How about an interface with ANT or the JDK or gcc or make?
    How about split screens, n ways. How about incredible keyboard control -
    no mouse necessary - copy paste, end of line, delete line, replace every
    occurence ... find, reverse-find, remove spaces, generate ChangeLogs ...
    all without leaving the keyboard? How about online support groups,
    multiple platform support including OSX. How about free? Or more?

    Emacs/XEmacs.

    Ah ... but maybe to steep of a learning curve ...

    Then vi.

    Ah ... maybe a bit more "cua" (win32ish)? TextPad might just be the one
    you're looking for.

    Sorry, I may sound a bit biased :)

    -Luther

    Luther Baker, May 25, 2004
  12. Pmb

    Steve Guest

    "Pmb" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
    > that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
    > was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
    > version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and

    how
    > you like them.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pmb

    I've just come across a freeware utility called PSPad (www.pspad.com) seems
    to have many similar features to Textpad such as block indenting, colour
    syntax highlighting, brace pair highlighting, etc.

    Worth a look as a freebie, IMO.

    Steve

    Steve, May 25, 2004
  13. Pmb

    Jeff Relf Guest

    Hi Derek,

    You mentioned,
    " VC7 is much better than VC6,
    both as a compiler and an editor/IDE. "

    What new features does it have ?

    I wish the debugger went from statement to statement,
    rather than from line to line.
    And some views, ( e.g. dumps and disassembly ),
    don't let me control the size or color of the fonts.

    Jeff Relf, May 25, 2004
  14. "Jeff Relf" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Derek,
    >
    > You mentioned,
    > " VC7 is much better than VC6,
    > both as a compiler and an editor/IDE. "
    >
    > What new features does it have ?

    It has 'dynamic help'. Who could possibly not think that is the most
    important advance in online help since HTML was invented. Consistently
    delivering the precise information you need almost instantaneously. It won't
    be long before it can write your code for you!!

    So useful is this feature that I can only agree with Microsoft's decision
    not to have any reasonable way to turn it off.

    john

    John Harrison, May 25, 2004
  15. Pmb

    Pmb Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > "Pmb" <> wrote in message
    > > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm

    not
    > > that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if

    it
    > > was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the

    new
    > > version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and

    > how
    > > you like them.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Pmb
    > >

    > I've just come across a freeware utility called PSPad (www.pspad.com)

    seems
    > to have many similar features to Textpad such as block indenting, colour
    > syntax highlighting, brace pair highlighting, etc.
    >
    > Worth a look as a freebie, IMO.
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks Steve. I'll check it out.

    Pmb

    Pmb, May 25, 2004
  16. Pmb

    Derek Guest

    > You mentioned,
    > " VC7 is much better than VC6,
    > both as a compiler and an editor/IDE. "
    >
    > What new features does it have ?
    >
    > I wish the debugger went from statement to statement,
    > rather than from line to line.
    > And some views, (e.g. dumps and disassembly),
    > don't let me control the size or color of the fonts.

    I'm new to VC7 (Visual Studio .NET 2003) so I'm
    probably not the best person to ask. My main
    reason for the upgrade was for the compiler, not
    the IDE. VC7 complies with the standard very
    well, whereas VC6, well, falls short. Of course
    you can get the gory details from Microsoft:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/

    And here are some differences between 6 and 7:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/topten/upgrade60.aspx

    I'm at work where I use 6, so I can't tell you if
    fonts can be changed in all views, but maybe some-
    one with 7 on their desktop can chime in.

    Derek, May 25, 2004
  17. Pmb

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    Derek <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Jeff Relf wrote:
    >
    > > You asked, " Can someone suggest a good editor ? "
    > >
    > > I like Microsoft's Developers Studio.
    > > i.e. The IDE that came with VC++ 6.0 .
    > >
    > > But it has a number of short comings.
    > > And I haven't really explored other options.

    > VC7 is much better than VC6, both as a compiler and
    > an editor/IDE. I wouldn't suggest VC6 to anyone now
    > that 7 is available.

    Your statement makes me suspect you've never actually used EITHER of
    them.

    I see no room for question that VS 7 is dramatically _worse_ than 6.
    As a pure editor, they've broken a number of the most fundamental
    things (e.g. tagged regular expressions no longer work at all).
    Worse, they've rendered many things so difficult that it's just not
    worth the trouble. Just for example, consider a scenario that arised
    right here on the newsgroups quite regularly: somebody has posted some
    code, and I decide to run it through the compiler.

    In both cases, I start by copying their code. With VS 6, I click one
    button to create a new file, another to save it, and type in a file
    name. After than I merely click the "compile" button and then select
    "yes" when it asks me if I want to create a default project so it can
    be compiled.

    With VS 7, there IS no "new file" button for me to click -- I have to
    select "File" then "New" and then "File...", and that brings up a
    dialog box. In that dialog I have to select "Visual C++" from a list
    on the left, and then "C++ Source file" in the box on the right. Now
    I (finally!) have a blank file so I can paste in the source code.

    Now I want to compile it -- but the "compile" button is greyed out --
    I have to make it part of a project before it can be compiled, so I go
    back to the beginning and select "New" and "File" and "Project...".
    That brings up a dialog again, and I select "Visual C++ Projects" in
    the list on the left, and "Win32 console application" from the box on
    the right. That brings up (yet another) dialog box in which I have to
    select "Project options" on the left, and then click "empty project"
    on the right. After that, I select "Project" and then "Add existing
    item..." so I can get a dialog that lets me select the file I created
    before, and lo and behold, if I've only carried out the previous 50
    steps correctly, it _might_ actually let me try to compile the code.

    Keep in mind that this is just the set of steps to do something
    ridiculously simple! This is something that took a half dozen mouse
    clicks in VS 6. Somebody who'd programmed on, e.g. Linux or Sun boxes
    previously could independently figure out the entire process in under
    10 minutes. With VS 7, it's a whole different story -- I've used
    Windows since version 1.0, and MS programming "environments" as old as
    ME and PWB. Even with that base of knowledge, it took me close to a
    week just to figure out how to get this damnable piece of garbage to
    let me compile code of my choice. Even after all that, carrying out
    this task that should be utterly trivial is so complex that I needed
    to have the environment open for reference while I wrote this just to
    be sure I got the sequence of steps reasonably close to correct.
    Despite that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if I've left out a
    step or two, meaning even this simple task is even more complex than
    I've portrayed it -- it's sufficiently complex that I gave up on it
    quite quickly, and on the (now fairly unusual) occassion that I try to
    do it, I usually have to make at least two attempts at things before I
    get it to work.

    Now, considering that it takes all that to do something that used to
    be utterly trivial, I leave it to the imagination of those looking on
    to figure out how difficult VS7 makes it to actually do something
    moderately complex -- but I'll warn them that their estimates are
    almost wrong! Everybody I've seen who's taken guesses at what it
    takes to do things in VS 7 has been mistaken, and in every case the
    job has really been slower, more difficult and more compmlex than
    anybody has guessed.
    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, May 25, 2004
  18. Pmb

    Jeff Relf Guest

    Jeff Relf, May 25, 2004
  19. Pmb

    Jeff Relf Guest

    Hi John Harrison,

    You mentioned something called, " dynamic help " in VC7.

    From what I Googled, DH sounds like something I don't want.
    I'm glad I didn't upgrade to MS Dev VC++ 7 ( .NET ).

    I found this about how to get rid of DH:

    Close the DH tool window
    and then setting this registry value from NO to YES:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Dynamic Help]
    "Never Show DH on F1"="YES"

    ' We showed Dynamic Help to help you
    choose one of the alternate possible F1 topics
    [ " F1 Disambiguation " ]
    in case we guessed wrong which " MessageBox "
    you wanted help on.
    That said, it's clear that some users
    don't want Dynamic Help to stick around --
    it was our oversight that
    we didn't take that case into account.
    My apologies for this. '

    Jeff Relf, May 25, 2004
  20. Pmb wrote:

    > Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
    > that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
    > was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
    > version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
    > you like them.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Pmb

    IMHO the best editor is
    SciTE(http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTE.html). It supports syntax
    highlighting for a plethora of languages, and code folding, brace
    matching, indentation guides, LUA scripting and much more. And it Free
    Software.

    Robin Eidissen, May 25, 2004