Editors

Pmb

Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
you like them.

Thanks

Pmb

Petec

Pmb said:
Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and
I'm not that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm
not sure if it was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com).
I'm trying the new version now but would like some advice and
comments on other editors and how you like them.

Thanks

Pmb

If you're willing to pay ~$90, Microsoft VC++ 2003 is excellent.

Some good free ones:
- Crimson Editor
- pcGRASP
- Emacs

- Pete

Derek

Pmb said:
Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit
right now and I'm not that happy with it (I seem to have
an old edition and I'm not sure if it was made by the
same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
version now but would like some advice and comments on
other editors and how you like them.

VC++ 2003 is one of my favorites. I also like TextPad as a
lightweight editor. Both are Windows-only. SlickEdit is
another editor I like -- it's almost an IDE, though. Lots
of features and cross-platform, but rather costly.

Pmb

Derek said:
VC++ 2003 is one of my favorites. I also like TextPad as a
lightweight editor. Both are Windows-only. SlickEdit is
another editor I like -- it's almost an IDE, though. Lots
of features and cross-platform, but rather costly.

TextPad! Ah! That's the one that I was thinking about. Thanks.

Pmb

Xenos

Pmb said:
Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
you like them.

Thanks

Pmb
TextPad (http://www.textpad.com). Awesome editor.

Jeff Relf

Hi Pmb,

You asked, " Can someone suggest a good editor ? "

I like Microsoft's Developers Studio.
i.e. The IDE that came with VC++ 6.0 .

But it has a number of short comings.
And I haven't really explored other options.

Derek

Jeff said:
You asked, " Can someone suggest a good editor ? "

I like Microsoft's Developers Studio.
i.e. The IDE that came with VC++ 6.0 .

But it has a number of short comings.
And I haven't really explored other options.

VC7 is much better than VC6, both as a compiler and
an editor/IDE. I wouldn't suggest VC6 to anyone now
that 7 is available.

red floyd

Pmb said:
Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
you like them.

Thanks

Pmb

GVim http://www.gvim.org

Luther Baker

Pmb said:
Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
you like them.

Well, that depends on what you'd like to do.

Let's see:

Would you like syntax coloring? How about automatic indentation? What
about built in CVS, RCS, rmail and gnu news? How about a calender? How
about the ability to look at binary files? or edit them? How about the
ability to write your own components to extend the editor? How about 5
or 6 different ways to "style" your brackets and indentation for c, c++
or java. How about python, perl, ruby, html, xml, xsl, c++ and c file
recognition. How about an interface with ANT or the JDK or gcc or make?
How about split screens, n ways. How about incredible keyboard control -
no mouse necessary - copy paste, end of line, delete line, replace every
occurence ... find, reverse-find, remove spaces, generate ChangeLogs ...
all without leaving the keyboard? How about online support groups,
multiple platform support including OSX. How about free? Or more?

Emacs/XEmacs.

Ah ... but maybe to steep of a learning curve ...

Then vi.

Ah ... maybe a bit more "cua" (win32ish)? TextPad might just be the one
you're looking for.

Sorry, I may sound a bit biased :)

-Luther

Steve

Pmb said:
Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
you like them.

Thanks

Pmb

I've just come across a freeware utility called PSPad (www.pspad.com) seems
to have many similar features to Textpad such as block indenting, colour
syntax highlighting, brace pair highlighting, etc.

Worth a look as a freebie, IMO.

Steve

Jeff Relf

Hi Derek,

You mentioned,
" VC7 is much better than VC6,
both as a compiler and an editor/IDE. "

What new features does it have ?

I wish the debugger went from statement to statement,
rather than from line to line.
And some views, ( e.g. dumps and disassembly ),
don't let me control the size or color of the fonts.

John Harrison

Jeff Relf said:
Hi Derek,

You mentioned,
" VC7 is much better than VC6,
both as a compiler and an editor/IDE. "

What new features does it have ?

It has 'dynamic help'. Who could possibly not think that is the most
important advance in online help since HTML was invented. Consistently
delivering the precise information you need almost instantaneously. It won't
be long before it can write your code for you!!

So useful is this feature that I can only agree with Microsoft's decision
not to have any reasonable way to turn it off.

john

Pmb

Steve said:
I've just come across a freeware utility called PSPad (www.pspad.com) seems
to have many similar features to Textpad such as block indenting, colour
syntax highlighting, brace pair highlighting, etc.

Worth a look as a freebie, IMO.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll check it out.

Pmb

Derek

You mentioned,
" VC7 is much better than VC6,
both as a compiler and an editor/IDE. "

What new features does it have ?

I wish the debugger went from statement to statement,
rather than from line to line.
And some views, (e.g. dumps and disassembly),
don't let me control the size or color of the fonts.

I'm new to VC7 (Visual Studio .NET 2003) so I'm
probably not the best person to ask. My main
reason for the upgrade was for the compiler, not
the IDE. VC7 complies with the standard very
well, whereas VC6, well, falls short. Of course
you can get the gory details from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/

And here are some differences between 6 and 7:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/productinfo/topten/upgrade60.aspx

I'm at work where I use 6, so I can't tell you if
fonts can be changed in all views, but maybe some-
one with 7 on their desktop can chime in.

Jerry Coffin

Derek said:
VC7 is much better than VC6, both as a compiler and
an editor/IDE. I wouldn't suggest VC6 to anyone now
that 7 is available.

Your statement makes me suspect you've never actually used EITHER of
them.

I see no room for question that VS 7 is dramatically _worse_ than 6.
As a pure editor, they've broken a number of the most fundamental
things (e.g. tagged regular expressions no longer work at all).
Worse, they've rendered many things so difficult that it's just not
worth the trouble. Just for example, consider a scenario that arised
right here on the newsgroups quite regularly: somebody has posted some
code, and I decide to run it through the compiler.

In both cases, I start by copying their code. With VS 6, I click one
button to create a new file, another to save it, and type in a file
name. After than I merely click the "compile" button and then select
"yes" when it asks me if I want to create a default project so it can
be compiled.

With VS 7, there IS no "new file" button for me to click -- I have to
select "File" then "New" and then "File...", and that brings up a
dialog box. In that dialog I have to select "Visual C++" from a list
on the left, and then "C++ Source file" in the box on the right. Now
I (finally!) have a blank file so I can paste in the source code.

Now I want to compile it -- but the "compile" button is greyed out --
I have to make it part of a project before it can be compiled, so I go
back to the beginning and select "New" and "File" and "Project...".
That brings up a dialog again, and I select "Visual C++ Projects" in
the list on the left, and "Win32 console application" from the box on
the right. That brings up (yet another) dialog box in which I have to
select "Project options" on the left, and then click "empty project"
on the right. After that, I select "Project" and then "Add existing
item..." so I can get a dialog that lets me select the file I created
before, and lo and behold, if I've only carried out the previous 50
steps correctly, it _might_ actually let me try to compile the code.

Keep in mind that this is just the set of steps to do something
ridiculously simple! This is something that took a half dozen mouse
clicks in VS 6. Somebody who'd programmed on, e.g. Linux or Sun boxes
previously could independently figure out the entire process in under
10 minutes. With VS 7, it's a whole different story -- I've used
Windows since version 1.0, and MS programming "environments" as old as
ME and PWB. Even with that base of knowledge, it took me close to a
week just to figure out how to get this damnable piece of garbage to
let me compile code of my choice. Even after all that, carrying out
this task that should be utterly trivial is so complex that I needed
to have the environment open for reference while I wrote this just to
be sure I got the sequence of steps reasonably close to correct.
Despite that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if I've left out a
step or two, meaning even this simple task is even more complex than
I've portrayed it -- it's sufficiently complex that I gave up on it
quite quickly, and on the (now fairly unusual) occassion that I try to
do it, I usually have to make at least two attempts at things before I
get it to work.

Now, considering that it takes all that to do something that used to
be utterly trivial, I leave it to the imagination of those looking on
to figure out how difficult VS7 makes it to actually do something
moderately complex -- but I'll warn them that their estimates are
almost wrong! Everybody I've seen who's taken guesses at what it
takes to do things in VS 7 has been mistaken, and in every case the
job has really been slower, more difficult and more compmlex than
anybody has guessed.

Jeff Relf

Hi John Harrison,

You mentioned something called, " dynamic help " in VC7.

From what I Googled, DH sounds like something I don't want.
I'm glad I didn't upgrade to MS Dev VC++ 7 ( .NET ).

I found this about how to get rid of DH:

Close the DH tool window
and then setting this registry value from NO to YES:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\Dynamic Help]
"Never Show DH on F1"="YES"

' We showed Dynamic Help to help you
choose one of the alternate possible F1 topics
[ " F1 Disambiguation " ]
in case we guessed wrong which " MessageBox "
you wanted help on.
That said, it's clear that some users
don't want Dynamic Help to stick around --
it was our oversight that
we didn't take that case into account.
My apologies for this. '

Robin Eidissen

Pmb said:
Can someone suggest a good editor? I'm using WinEdit right now and I'm not
that happy with it (I seem to have an old edition and I'm not sure if it
was made by the same organization at www.winedit.com). I'm trying the new
version now but would like some advice and comments on other editors and how
you like them.

Thanks

Pmb
IMHO the best editor is
SciTE(http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTE.html). It supports syntax
highlighting for a plethora of languages, and code folding, brace
matching, indentation guides, LUA scripting and much more. And it Free
Software.