Editors

Jeff Relf

Hi Steven T. Hatton,

Back when I had to use emacs, I totally loathed it.

I couldn't even use it without a cheat-sheet in front of me.

It's a monster. Talk about bloatware.

I'm in the process of writing my own editor now,
( but not for any IDE ).
That's the best way to go,
in my extreeeeeemly humble opinion.

I noticed your headers, You're using SpeakEasy.NET ?

They're based in Seattle, where I am ( U-district ).

Are you in Seattle too ?

Jorge Rivera

Jerry,

I apologize for offending you. It was unintentional...
I do have some comments on your post.

Jerry said:
I gave a specific, detailed recitation of FACTS.
Read your post. You mentioned regular expressions, and you provided
"FACTS" on how you got around to compile a single file. Yes, your post
had many words, and it told its story quite well...
talking about what you like and how you feel, and then have the nerve
to accuse me of "whining"?
Yes :)
I've simply pointed out that it's a pile of feces. You can claim you
like the smell of feces all you want, but that won't change it into a
boquet of roses.
Bad example. Your two examples don't change the quality of the IDE, it
just explains why you don't like the direction MS took. You can't just
claim that your examples qualify VS7 as feces.
Suggesting a different environment for common scenarios shows that
even you realize how bad it's design is, even if you're not willing to
admit it.
Bad designed it maybe, but in my opinion, it is still better designed
than its progenitor.
This is pure nonsense. First of all, adding 5 extra steps to the
simple task of creating a file does not improve management of large
projects. Second, a large project still involves all the "small"
tasks involved in a small project. For example, you might create a
hundred or more files intead of a half dozen -- but you stil have to
create files, and that task is roughly 5 times more difficult in VS 7
than in anything that's at all well designed.

Not true. Right click on the solution explorer, Create new item, choose
whatever you want to add. That is not too disimilar than what VS6 offers.
Now, it's true that large projects demand features that smaller
projects don't. What's also true is that VS 7 is missing most of
those features. Just for one obvious example, when you're working
with a large project, it's often useful to be able to point at an
entire directory and do (for example) a search and replace on all the
files in the directory. In a case like this, you're likely to want a
tagged regular expression in your search and replace.
Again, reverting to your second complaint, regular expressions. Bring
more "FACTS", stop rehashing the old ones.
Here's the difference between us: I gave a specific, detailed
reciation of FACTS. You reply by talking about how you "feel".
No you didn't. I go by how I feel based on two things. How comfortable
I feel working in the environment, and how productive does ot make my
day. I have found myself doind things more efficiently in this version
of VS studio. Can't pintpoint why, because in most instances, the
process hasn't changed as much from one version to the next. However,
my time to produce things has been drastically reduced.

One specific feature I like in the editor, which directly relates to the
original post, is that you can collapse blocks of code. This feature
has been in Kate for a while now, and is very welcome here.

JLR

Jorge Rivera

Steven said:

To follow this up.

Kate is a text editor in KDE. Kate has been used by some IDE providers
(Kdevelop and Anjuta pop in my mind). I think this is a great editor
for programmers, although its true power is better exploited by the IDEs
than on its own (or maybe I don't know how to configure it right...).

JLR

Jeff Relf

Hi Jorge Rivera,

You wrote,
" Kate is a text editor in KDE.
Kate has been used by some IDE providers
( Kdevelop and Anjuta pop in my mind ).
I think this is a great editor for programmers,
although its true power is better exploited by the IDEs
than on its own
( or maybe I don't know how to configure it right... ). "

Thanks, From looking at KDE.ORG,
it seems that it isn't really designed for Windows.