    (ignore all the links cos they dont work properly at the mo)

    and no laughing at my code
    tia

    the idiot, Feb 23, 2005

  2. the idiot

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote:

    >ive got a couple of divs side by side
    >left is (for now) is a grey box
    >and the right one has an overflow
    >anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally buggered
    >in firefox
    >any suggestions?
    >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    You trigger quirks mode so IE6 and Opera 7 will attempt to emulate the
    bugs in IE5.

    You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
    the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
    containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
    it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
    after the floats.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 23, 2005

  3. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    >
    > >ive got a couple of divs side by side
    > >left is (for now) is a grey box
    > >and the right one has an overflow
    > >anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally

    buggered
    > >in firefox
    > >any suggestions?
    > >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    > You trigger quirks mode so IE6 and Opera 7 will attempt to emulate the
    > bugs in IE5.
    >
    > You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
    > the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
    > containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
    > it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
    > after the floats.
    >
    > Steve

    cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i put?
    ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

    the idiot, Feb 23, 2005
  4. the idiot

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote:
    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
    >> the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
    >> containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
    >> it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
    >> after the floats.
    >>

    >cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i put?
    >ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

    Add clear: both; to the styles for the element in question.

    Steve Pugh, Feb 23, 2005
  5. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    > >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
    > >> the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
    > >> containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
    > >> it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
    > >> after the floats.
    > >>

    > >cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i

    put?
    > >ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

    > Add clear: both; to the styles for the element in question.

    cheers ive had a look on w3c and have been fiddling but to no avail though i
    will continue. thanks a lot sir.

    the idiot, Feb 23, 2005
  6. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    > >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> You have floats but nothing to clear them. As floats are taken out of
    > >> the document flow they do not contribute to the height of their
    > >> containers (IE5 gets this wrong, and hence so do browsers that emulate
    > >> it). Trying adding a clear to the first element that should appear
    > >> after the floats.
    > >>

    > >cheers but pardon my ignorance how do i add a 'clear' ? or what would i

    put?
    > >ill look it up on w3c soon i promise

    > Add clear: both; to the styles for the element in question.

    well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
    http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    the idiot, Feb 23, 2005
  7. the idiot

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote:
    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    >> "the idiot" <> wrote:
    >> >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message

    >well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
    >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    Same problem.

    align="right" is the same as float: right so your tables are floated.
    Hence they (a) don't contribute the height of the div which then
    collapses to zero as it has no other content and (b) the content
    following after the div sits alognside the floated tables.

    You need an element with clear: right between the </table>
    and the </div>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 23, 2005
  8. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    > >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message

    of

    emulate

    > >well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
    > >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    > Same problem.
    >
    > align="right" is the same as float: right so your tables are floated.
    > Hence they (a) don't contribute the height of the div which then
    > collapses to zero as it has no other content and (b) the content
    > following after the div sits alognside the floated tables.
    >
    > You need an element with clear: right between the </table>
    > and the </div>

    aha... i'll get there in the end - thanks for your patience sir... my
    ignorance knows no bounds.

    the idiot, Feb 23, 2005
  9. the idiot

    Richard Guest

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:37:56 -0000 the idiot wrote:

    > ive got a couple of divs side by side
    > left is (for now) is a grey box
    > and the right one has an overflow
    > anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally
    > buggered
    > in firefox
    > any suggestions?
    > http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    > (ignore all the links cos they dont work properly at the mo)

    > and no laughing at my code
    > tia

    You have not yet learned that firefox will show what you code as being
    correct.
    Firefox assumes nothing and forgives nothing.
    That's one reason I trashed IE.

    Richard, Feb 23, 2005
  10. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    > >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message

    of

    emulate

    > >well its fixed some of it but ive still got a problem arghhhhh
    > >http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    > Same problem.
    >
    > align="right" is the same as float: right so your tables are floated.
    > Hence they (a) don't contribute the height of the div which then
    > collapses to zero as it has no other content and (b) the content
    > following after the div sits alognside the floated tables.
    >
    > You need an element with clear: right between the </table>
    > and the </div>
    >
    > Steve

    sir, you are a star. thank you.

    the idiot, Feb 23, 2005
  11. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:37:56 -0000 the idiot wrote:
    >
    > > ive got a couple of divs side by side
    > > left is (for now) is a grey box
    > > and the right one has an overflow
    > > anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally
    > > buggered
    > > in firefox
    > > any suggestions?
    > > http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    > > (ignore all the links cos they dont work properly at the mo)

    > > and no laughing at my code
    > > tia

    > You have not yet learned that firefox will show what you code as being
    > correct.
    > Firefox assumes nothing and forgives nothing.
    > That's one reason I trashed IE.

    its also one of the reasons i am bald.... i can normally get things to sort
    of look the same in firefox and ie and opera after a lot of twiddling and
    kicking and pulling of hair.

    the idiot, Feb 23, 2005
  12. the idiot

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "the idiot" <> wrote:
    >"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You have not yet learned that firefox will show what you code as being
    >> correct.
    >> Firefox assumes nothing and forgives nothing.
    >> That's one reason I trashed IE.

    >its also one of the reasons i am bald.... i can normally get things to sort
    >of look the same in firefox and ie and opera after a lot of twiddling and
    >kicking and pulling of hair.

    I find it easier to start with a page that triggers standards mode and
    which works according to the specification in FF and Opera. Then I add
    hacks and apply some brute force to make it work in IE6 and then some
    more hacks to make it work in IE5. Less painful than trying to do it
    the other way round.

    Oh, and ignore posts by Richard. You may use the handle "the idiot"
    but he is the genuine atticle.

    Steve Pugh, Feb 23, 2005
  13. the idiot

    bwoogiex13 Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:37:56 -0000 the idiot wrote:
    >
    >> ive got a couple of divs side by side
    >> left is (for now) is a grey box
    >> and the right one has an overflow
    >> anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally
    >> buggered
    >> in firefox
    >> any suggestions?
    >> http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    >> (ignore all the links cos they dont work properly at the mo)

    >> and no laughing at my code
    >> tia

    > You have not yet learned that firefox will show what you code as being
    > correct.
    > Firefox assumes nothing and forgives nothing.
    > That's one reason I trashed IE.

    kiddie porn, does it forgive that

    bwoogiex13, Feb 24, 2005
  14. the idiot

    Wayfarer Guest

    Thus spake bwoogiex13:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:37:56 -0000 the idiot wrote:
    >>
    >>> ive got a couple of divs side by side
    >>> left is (for now) is a grey box
    >>> and the right one has an overflow
    >>> anyway it all works perfectley well in ie and opera but is totally
    >>> buggered
    >>> in firefox
    >>> any suggestions?
    >>> http://www.seanmcallister.com/html/index1.html

    >>> (ignore all the links cos they dont work properly at the mo)

    >>> and no laughing at my code
    >>> tia

    >> You have not yet learned that firefox will show what you code as being
    >> correct.
    >> Firefox assumes nothing and forgives nothing.
    >> That's one reason I trashed IE.

    > kiddie porn, does it forgive that

    um, context?

    --
    Wayfarer
    Journeys: http://www.journeys.ws/

    Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are
    the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and
    ashes, and forgot. - Dream of the Endless

    Wayfarer, Feb 24, 2005
  15. the idiot

    the idiot Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "the idiot" <> wrote:
    > >"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> You have not yet learned that firefox will show what you code as being
    > >> correct.
    > >> Firefox assumes nothing and forgives nothing.
    > >> That's one reason I trashed IE.

    > >its also one of the reasons i am bald.... i can normally get things to

    sort
    > >of look the same in firefox and ie and opera after a lot of twiddling and
    > >kicking and pulling of hair.

    > I find it easier to start with a page that triggers standards mode and
    > which works according to the specification in FF and Opera. Then I add
    > hacks and apply some brute force to make it work in IE6 and then some
    > more hacks to make it work in IE5. Less painful than trying to do it
    > the other way round.
    >
    > Oh, and ignore posts by Richard. You may use the handle "the idiot"
    > but he is the genuine atticle.

    heeh i will make a mental note.
    and tomorrow i will rebuild the site (goodbye iframes and hello scrolling
    divs) using your advice. cheers again.

    the idiot, Feb 24, 2005