Effective Java by Josh Bloch

stixwix

Hi,
The above book gets good reviews but is it still relevant? (It was
released in 2001).

Regards,
Andy

mrandywarner

We still give a communal copy of it to all new developer hires. Most
of us in the office will re-read it periodically. It's a very good
read, and the concepts discussed are not likely to be outdated soon.

Thomas Hawtin

stixwix said:
The above book gets good reviews but is it still relevant? (It was
released in 2001).

Yup, the language hasn't changed that much.

Checking through the index: Item 21 has become part of the language. And
that's it.

I don't believe there will be a second edition any time soon.

Tom Hawtin

VisionSet

stixwix said:
Hi,
The above book gets good reviews but is it still relevant? (It was
released in 2001).

Best Java book there is, and just about the smallest!
Still relevant but I was wondering if there'd be a follow up though based on
1.5's new features.

NullBock

Just because a book is "old" doesn't make it irrelevant. Bloch's book
should be a must for all up-and-coming developers. Another good book
is the GoF design patterns (amazon link:http://linkfrog.net/daak),
which is over 10 years old, and I've gotten no end of good advice from
a compiler design theory book from the sixties (whose name escapes me
at the moment).

Goo theory and best-practises change far slower than language syntax.

Wibble

NullBock said:
Just because a book is "old" doesn't make it irrelevant. Bloch's book
should be a must for all up-and-coming developers. Another good book
is the GoF design patterns (amazon link:http://linkfrog.net/daak),
which is over 10 years old, and I've gotten no end of good advice from
a compiler design theory book from the sixties (whose name escapes me
at the moment).

Goo theory and best-practises change far slower than language syntax.
Aho, Sethi, Ulman?

Darryl L. Pierce

stixwix said:
The above book gets good reviews but is it still relevant? (It was
released in 2001).

Absolutely. His advice isn't specific to any particular version of the
JDK. Though I'm sure Bloch would have new advice to go along with the
newer APIs, but the advice there is just as relevant today as when it
was written.

Mike Schilling

Darryl L. Pierce said:
Absolutely. His advice isn't specific to any particular version of the
JDK.

Not even specific to Java; I've heard Microsoft instructors recommend it to
C# developers.