Effective server-side XSLT processor

Discussion in 'XML' started by Martin Plantec, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    In another post, I mentionned I was using PHP with Sablotron 1.0 as my
    server-side XSLT processor.

    I have several websites, some of them with thousands pages. Everything
    is stored as XML. For the past few years, I have been generating static
    HTML pages through Perl scripts and uploading them. I am now
    experimenting with XSLT, to see if the performance is still acceptable
    (it would obviously be more convenient for *me*).

    Now Tjerk and Nick warned me (in the other thread) that Sablotron was a
    lousy xmlt processor with bad error reporting (Tjerk) and slow (Nick).

    I am not sure I can use anything else, since I am dependent on what my
    web host has installed. Nick mentions mod_transform, which I guess is
    http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_transform/docs/

    Apparently, one uses this by stating in .htaccess which stylesheet
    should be used, and then the XML files are accessed directly by the
    users? But I am afraid this wouldn't work, because I will probably need
    to do some processing in PHP, too, before to deliver the web pages
    based on the XML...

    Any comment/suggestion/pointer welcome!

    Thanks,

    Martin

    Martin Plantec, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Martin Plantec

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Martin Plantec wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > In another post, I mentionned I was using PHP with Sablotron 1.0 as my
    > server-side XSLT processor.
    >
    > I have several websites, some of them with thousands pages. Everything
    > is stored as XML. For the past few years, I have been generating
    > static HTML pages through Perl scripts and uploading them. I am now
    > experimenting with XSLT, to see if the performance is still acceptable
    > (it would obviously be more convenient for *me*).

    It's not generally a good idea to use a real-time conversion server
    for information which is inherently static or slow-moving, unless you
    can justify the use of the resources by its convenience to the author.

    > Now Tjerk and Nick warned me (in the other thread) that Sablotron was
    > a lousy xmlt processor with bad error reporting (Tjerk) and slow
    > (Nick).
    >
    > I am not sure I can use anything else, since I am dependent on what my
    > web host has installed. Nick mentions mod_transform, which I guess is
    > http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_transform/docs/

    The biggest and best-known is Cocoon, which runs on top of Tomcat.
    It's a resource hog (or rather, I suspect, the underlying Java
    is a resource hog) but it's fairly stable and reliable.

    Another alternative is AxKit, which is Perl-based; but I have major
    problems with this as it runs only on a very restricted set of
    platforms.

    Commercially there are systems like PropelX (www.propylon.com) which
    are pipelining transformers like Cocoon, but not restricted to using
    XML-only or Java-only resources like Cocoon is.

    [Claimer: we do some business with Propylon occasionally]

    You may want to consider moving your hosting to a site which provides
    one or more of these.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Peter wrote:

    << It's not generally a good idea to use a real-time conversion server
    for information which is inherently static or slow-moving, unless you
    can justify the use of the resources by its convenience to the author.

    This is the principle I went by so far. I will probably stick to it,
    but I wanted to experiment with XSLT. Generating and updating the HTML
    files is a bit tedious, and they also take up a lot of online disk
    space (I also need the XML online anyway). Thanks for your comments.

    Martin Plantec, Oct 31, 2005