Effective State Management for fairly large data (ASP.NET 2.0)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by russzee, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. russzee

    russzee Guest

    Hello,

    I have an ASP.NET 2.0 application which fetches substantial data (a
    report) from sql server and saves that to a datatable. My application
    then uses the information from that datatable on almost every page.

    Alot of my pages display data that are just subsets of this big table.

    What's the best way to preserve the state of this datatable throughout
    my application on a per user basis (since the report is user specific)
    ?

    I know sessions isnt advisable for large data and that caching
    application data is common to all users and not per user.

    I've also tried to query the database on each call but it makes my
    application extremely slow.

    Thanks in advance.

    Russzee

    russzee, Oct 25, 2006

  2. You should probably consider creating some form of database view and
    querying that insteads, given your initial queries create the data and take
    the time then you could potentially remove this bottleneck

    http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/299.aspx

    --
    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    VISIT MY WEBSITE:
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Oct 25, 2006

  3. russzee

    russzee Guest

    Re: Effective State Management for fairly large data (ASP.NET 2.0)

    Thanks John,

    I'll try that and let you know if that improves the app. performance.

    - russzee

    russzee, Oct 25, 2006