Effects of <identity impersonate="true"/>

Meena Desai

Hi,

What are the effects of using <identity impersonate="true"/> in web.config
on windows auhtentication? Does it affect windows security?

Thanx in advance,

Meena.

Meena Desai

Hi,

Thanx for ur quick reply.
I read the doc which u referred, but unfortunately there is nothing related
to the windows security in it. By enaling the impersonate, is there any
chance to break the windows security? Also will it affect other things? Will
my site be secure after using <identity impersonate="true" /> from
unauthorised access?

I want to allow a registered user to delete some file. It shows me error
when I move my code from one folder to another. It deletes all the user
rights which I had given after moving the code folder. Is there any solution
to this problem?

Thanx,

Meena.

Guest

hi meena ,

Generally, it's not a good idea to run all code while impersonating. This
can lead to some weird problems with permissions on kernel objects (threads,
processes, named synchronization objects) that get created while
impersonating. It also prevents efficient database connection pooling.

Read more form the author danseller

http://blogs.msdn.com/dansellers/archive/2004/03/13/89203.aspx

hope this article solves all your questions

regards
Ansil
Trivandrum

reach me at
(e-mail address removed)

Meena Desai

Hi Ansil,

Thanx for ur guidance.
I got a way for "Impersonate the Authenticating User in Code" from the
article u referred as below (in Visual C#):

System.Security.Principal.WindowsImpersonationContext
impersonationContext;
impersonationContext =
((System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity)User.Identity).Impersonate();
// Insert your code that runs under the security context of the
authenticating user here.
impersonationContext.Undo();

But this method requires that the authenticating user identity is of type
WindowsIdentity. While I am using Forms authentication.
Is there any way to do the same thing with Forms authentication?

Thanx,
Meena.

Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Tell me one thing... I want my website to authenticate user by entering their Windows username/password. How to do that?