efficiently using .net Tracing

Guest

Hi all,

I know tht we can do tracing in two ways.one in application level and the
other is at Page level.
I am able to see the details of trace either on the page itself or
.../trace.axd page.
I want to use maximum out of the available trace details .
or
let me put it like this....
tell me the actual scenario's where these trace details will be use ful and
how to use them.

Advanced Thanks,
deepu

Guest

deepukutty said:
Hi all,

I know tht we can do tracing in two ways.one in application level and the
other is at Page level.
I am able to see the details of trace either on the page itself or
../trace.axd page.
I want to use maximum out of the available trace details .
or
let me put it like this....
tell me the actual scenario's where these trace details will be use ful and
how to use them.

Advanced Thanks,
deepu

Hi DeepuKutty,

What is Tracing?
==========
Tracing is an activity of recording the diagnostic information related to a
specific web page that is being executed on the web server. In this
discussion we will consider ASP.NET related tracing technique.

Need of Tracing
==========
When the application are in development stage, developers can use in-built
debuggers for troubleshooting, but in the production environment, using
debuggers becomes a huge task for administrators considering the security and
related issues. To debug Classic ASP applications, we were having no
mechanism to track the execution flow of ASP pages. Thanks to .NET !!. Using
..NET technology we can trace the flow with really less efforts. To collect
the statistics like execution time, contents of certain object,
“response.write†was the only way in classic ASP. Using trace we are now able
to view the HTTP headers, session state and likewise information on the trace
output. Also, we have flexibility to add our own contents in the trace output.

Tracing Methods
On the Page
When this method is used, the trace output is displayed on the page that is
executed.

Out of Page
In this method, the tracing results are not displayed on the page but these
are stored on the web server and in the root folder of the application in a
file named as “trace.axdâ€. After execution of the pages, this file can be
viewed on the browser. For example http://yourApplicationroot/trace.axd.

How Do I trace?
The tracing can be enabled at two scopes:

Page Level
Application Level

For further Reading
**************