Either IDLE Can't Start a subprocess or a firewall software firewallis blocking the connection (Win)

W. eWatson

See Subject msg from Python 2.5 Win XP. It is preceded by a "Socket
Error". It happened while I had a simple program displayed, and I wanted
to see the shell. The msg occurred when I pressed Shell on Run from the
menu. I played around for awhile, but got nowhere. Same msg. I did
remove my McAfee firewall protection, and it worked once, but reverted
to not working.

I rebooted and the first time I could use Shell, it succeeded. After
that it failed. Comments? Geeze! Mcaffe turned on the firewall again
after the reboot.

All seems well now. Nope. McAfee turned the firewall back on. It decided
to warn me it was off, but now has allowed me to ignore the fact it is
"no longer protecting me". I'll just let Win firewall do that, thank you.

Nope it's back. I'll just stop here and let anyone who wants to just
chime in. If I get it to stop, I'll be back.

Terry Reedy

[...]

Works fine for me with xp and some version of McAfee, but I may have had
to tell Windows Defender some years ago, as admin, to allow IDLE to run.
Don't remember for sure now.

Alf P. Steinbach

[...]

I recall vaguely some similar problem caused by a program attempting to connect
to localhost, and the solution then was to edit the hosts file (don't ask me for
details, but perhaps that'll help you search: that problem had entirely to do
with Windows' very over-zealous "security" measures).

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

W. eWatson

Alf said:
* W. eWatson:

I recall vaguely some similar problem caused by a program attempting to
connect to localhost, and the solution then was to edit the hosts file
(don't ask me for details, but perhaps that'll help you search: that
problem had entirely to do with Windows' very over-zealous "security"
measures).

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf
As it turns out, I can "sneak" around it, so I'm putting it aside.