    writing some simple stuff.

    Appreciate any help.

    TIA
    vk02720, Jan 22, 2006

  2. vk02720 wrote:
    > If I have a legacy architecture for client server app where the client
    > connects to server ( or a group of servers seperated by their
    > functionality ) using message based mechanisms ( sockets, MQSeries ).
    > For example - there could be servers S1, S2, S3 .. and messages M1, M2,
    > M3 ...
    > How does this scenario translate into an EJB based design ? Would the
    > servers be designed as session beans or would it be the messages .... ?

    Direct socket connections do not have an analogous technology in EJB.
    J2EE is not very well suited to be used in a general client/server
    architecture. Potential work-arounds include accessing the EJBs as an
    application client via RMI, using web services, accessing a servlet via
    HTTP, etc.

    Messaging on the other hand, corresponds to JMS which a J2EE application
    server must provide. One type of EJB is a message-driven bean (MDB)
    which will consume messages. Look for an application server that
    interoperates with the MOM you are already using.

    > Also, is there a good website where I can start learning about EJB ?
    > Any open source container I can download for Linux platform and start
    > writing some simple stuff.

    JBoss and Jonas are open source EJB containers. The J2EE tutorial on
    Sun's site is a good place to start.

    HTH,
    Ray

    --
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Raymond DeCampo, Jan 23, 2006

  3. vk02720

    vk02720 Guest

    Thanks. I am going to look into the J2EE tutorial.

    About the design question - I did not mean that I *have* to use
    message-oriented design. I was lookin for a component -based design
    solution. I mean could the "server" in the old design map to a session
    bean and all the messages a specific server be represented by the
    methods of the bean ?
    Or some such alternatve.
    vk02720, Jan 23, 2006
  4. vk02720 wrote:
    > Thanks. I am going to look into the J2EE tutorial.
    >
    > About the design question - I did not mean that I *have* to use
    > message-oriented design. I was lookin for a component -based design
    > solution. I mean could the "server" in the old design map to a session
    > bean and all the messages a specific server be represented by the
    > methods of the bean ?
    > Or some such alternatve.

    Yes, this is one way to do it; no reason it shouldn't work out.

    Ray
    --
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Raymond DeCampo, Jan 29, 2006
  5. vk02720

    vk02720 Guest

    Raymond DeCampo wrote:
    > vk02720 wrote:
    > > Thanks. I am going to look into the J2EE tutorial.
    > >
    > > About the design question - I did not mean that I *have* to use
    > > message-oriented design. I was lookin for a component -based design
    > > solution. I mean could the "server" in the old design map to a session
    > > bean and all the messages a specific server be represented by the
    > > methods of the bean ?
    > > Or some such alternatve.
    > >

    > Yes, this is one way to do it; no reason it shouldn't work out.
    >
    > Ray

    Thanks.

    What kind of "transaction support" is provided by the J2EE
    infrastructure as far as EJB objects are concerned ? I mean something
    which is not available or could not be done in traditional
    client/server architecture ?
    vk02720, Jan 30, 2006