EJB Remote Calls - Serialization Restriction(s)

Manglu

Hi,

I have a simple HelloWorldApplication which uses SSbs.

I pass a Customer Object which has two attribute String name and
Address address;

I made Address not-serializable

so when i make calls to the SessionBean i get a remote Exception which
contains the not-serializable exception in WebPShere (as expected)

To my surprise this application ran without any problem in JRun4.0

Why would that be the case and what would the result in other APp
Servers like WebLogic be?

AFAIK, objects (parameters and Return types) must be serializable for
all Remote EJB Calls.

Note this applicaiton does not use Local Interfaces..

TIA
Manglu

Anders =?iso-8859-1?Q?Engstr=F6m?=

* Manglu said:
Hi,

I have a simple HelloWorldApplication which uses SSbs.

I pass a Customer Object which has two attribute String name and
Address address;

I made Address not-serializable

so when i make calls to the SessionBean i get a remote Exception which
contains the not-serializable exception in WebPShere (as expected)

To my surprise this application ran without any problem in JRun4.0

Why would that be the case and what would the result in other APp
Servers like WebLogic be?

AFAIK, objects (parameters and Return types) must be serializable for
all Remote EJB Calls.

Note this applicaiton does not use Local Interfaces..

What kind of client are you using to call the EJB? A webcontainer
(servlet/jsp), an application-client, or a standalone client?

If you're calling the EJB from the webcontainer my guess is that JRun
runs the webcontainer in the same JVM as the EJBContainer, and optimizes
the remote invocation so that it goes 'in process' (i.e without
serializing/deserializing the parameters).

//Anders

--
/**
* Anders Engström, (e-mail address removed)