Electronic Signature Within a Word or PDF document

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Brian Simmons, Oct 19, 2007.

  1. Hi all,

    This probably isn't the most appropriate group for this question, but I know
    there are a bunch of bright and talented individuals in this group who may
    have experience in what I'm trying to accomplish.

    I've got an ASP.NET 2/C# web application which generates contracts in Word
    and PDF format using the components from Aspose (http://www.aspose.com).

    Works like a charm, secretary prints the contracts and has the CEO hand sign
    them.

    Situation: CEO doesn't want to hand sign them any more because of the volume
    of contracts. I've suggested a rubber stamp, however, a more high-tech
    solution is wanted.

    So, what's the process/procedure for putting an electronic signature within
    a Word document. NOTE: I do NOT want to digitally sign the document as in a
    file transmission to prevent tampering.

    Basically at the end of the contract where it says:

    [Sign here]
    __________________________________
    Joe Muckamucka, CEO

    Right now, Joe signs his name where it says [Sign here], I want that to be
    replaced with some sort of electronic signature.

    So, does anyone have any experience with this? Care to point me in the
    right direction? Tips? Guidance?

    Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Brian

    Brian Simmons, Oct 19, 2007

  2. On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:03:08 -0400, "Brian Simmons"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >This probably isn't the most appropriate group for this question, but I know
    >there are a bunch of bright and talented individuals in this group who may
    >have experience in what I'm trying to accomplish.
    >
    >I've got an ASP.NET 2/C# web application which generates contracts in Word
    >and PDF format using the components from Aspose (http://www.aspose.com).
    >
    >Works like a charm, secretary prints the contracts and has the CEO hand sign
    >them.
    >
    >Situation: CEO doesn't want to hand sign them any more because of the volume
    >of contracts. I've suggested a rubber stamp, however, a more high-tech
    >solution is wanted.
    >
    >So, what's the process/procedure for putting an electronic signature within
    >a Word document. NOTE: I do NOT want to digitally sign the document as in a
    >file transmission to prevent tampering.
    >
    >Basically at the end of the contract where it says:
    >
    >[Sign here]
    >__________________________________
    >Joe Muckamucka, CEO
    >
    >Right now, Joe signs his name where it says [Sign here], I want that to be
    >replaced with some sort of electronic signature.
    >
    >So, does anyone have any experience with this? Care to point me in the
    >right direction? Tips? Guidance?
    >
    >Any help is appreciated,
    >Thanks,
    >Brian

    Why don't you get a JPEG of the signature and embed that using code in
    your word document?

    --
    http://bytes.thinkersroom.com

    Rad [Visual C# MVP], Oct 19, 2007

  3. Hi Brian,

    If you do not want to make the entire file be digital signed, maybe you can
    consider embed some objects (such as Image as Rad suggested).

    However, IMO, embed object into word document is only providing a visual
    format of electornic signature, there is no security support here. If you
    also want to make the document secured(be integrity) by such a signature,
    digital signing is the only approach. Because you need to sign all the
    content of the document file and attache a signature digest so as for late
    validation.

    How do you think?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng