Element Problems in XML FIle

Discussion in 'XML' started by Rodtech, Jan 21, 2008.

  1. Rodtech

    Rodtech Guest

    I have probably a simple question, but I've searched the net high and
    low, and even these forums to no avail. The question is simply this: I
    am using Carousel 3, and have my images working properly, and even the
    application in general. What i'd like to do is embed urls in the text,
    however i'm finding the (") issue preventing this from happening in an
    element in the XML file. Initially I thought there was a way around
    using the quotes so that I could provide links in the text, but i'm
    losing a lot of hair as well as sleep trying to solve this problem.
    Any help would be appreciated.

    In case my wording is confusing: what i'm trying to accomplish is
    this:

    <icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip" content="This is
    the content and a link ((http://www.anyurl.com)) that i'd like to make
    clickable for a user." />

    Thanks in Advance,

    roddy
    Rodtech, Jan 21, 2008

  2. Rodtech

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Rodtech wrote:
    > I have probably a simple question, but I've searched the net high and
    > low, and even these forums to no avail. The question is simply this: I
    > am using Carousel 3, and have my images working properly, and even the
    > application in general. What i'd like to do is embed urls in the text,
    > however i'm finding the (") issue preventing this from happening in an
    > element in the XML file. Initially I thought there was a way around
    > using the quotes so that I could provide links in the text, but i'm
    > losing a lot of hair as well as sleep trying to solve this problem.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > In case my wording is confusing: what i'm trying to accomplish is
    > this:
    >
    > <icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip" content="This is
    > the content and a link ((http://www.anyurl.com)) that i'd like to make
    > clickable for a user." />

    I'm afraid I don't quite understand your problem with quotes.

    If you have lengthy textual content, it's probably best to make it
    PCDATA content:

    <icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip"
    link="http://www.anyurl.com">This is the content that I'd like to make
    clickable for a user.</icon>

    If you badly need to embed the URI in the text, create an element type
    to hold it:

    <icon image="icon1.png" tooltip="This is the Tooltip">This is the
    content and a URI (<link uri="http://www.anyurl.com"/>) that I'd like to
    make clickable for a user.</icon>

    If you need to express the association between the icon and the link,
    you can either reply on the link being a child element of the icon, or
    make it explicit with an ID/IDREF pair of attributes.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Jan 21, 2008