'em' - relative

Michael Fesser

.oO(Sam Hughes)
Well, usually one is less than the other.

Yep, but you can't be sure which one.
If you knew that the screen resolution was say, 1400 px wide, you could use
a background image that was 1400 px wide and be confident it wouldn't
repeat horizontally.

Not that trying to do that would be a good idea -- but a relationship does
exist.

So do virtual desktops and multi-head systems. Even if a script returns
1400px for screen width, the browser window can be much wider (on my
system for example it can span two screens, but a script will always
only return the size of one screen).

Micha

rf

Michael Fesser
I run a dual-head system: One screen is currently on 1600x1200px, the
other on 1152x864px. What do you think the above function will return
for screen width and height?

Notwithstanding that obtaining the dimensions of the screen is irrelevant to
web design:
screen.width and screen.height return the dimensions of your primary screen,
the one you have ticked to be primary monitor in display
properties>settings.

Michael Fesser

.oO(rf)
screen.width and screen.height return the dimensions of your primary screen,
the one you have ticked to be primary monitor in display
properties>settings.

Yep, except for my Firefox, where they return the dimensions of the
screen the browser runs on.

Micha

rf

Michael Fesser wrote
.oO(rf)

Yep, except for my Firefox, where they return the dimensions of the
screen the browser runs on.

How bizarre. So it does.

If the browser is positioned across two or more screens it seems to report
on whichever one it decides to place the alert (that I am using for testing)
on. I assume it chooses that screen that happens to be displaying most of
the browser at the moment :)

Jan Faerber

Toby said:
Jan said:
So dpi has something to do

[ ] with software
[ ] with hardware
[ ] with soft- and hardware

There are two "dpi"s to consider:

1. Your real dpi. This is dependent on your physical screen size and the
pixel size of your desktop. e.g. say your desktop is 800x600 and your
screen is 15" (measured diagonally), then your dpi is:

square_root(800^2 + 600^2) / 15 =~ 66.7.

so this is the hypotenuse divided by 15 ... that means 15" are 15 inch?
yes, so you say 'a 15 inch screen'? just talking to myself ... corr. me if I
am wrong.
2. Your configured dpi. This is the dpi your browser/operating
system/whatever *believes* to be your real dpi. This is usually set in
some "Advanced" tab of some settings screen, so is normally wrong.

I can not find that in a browser at the moment ...
When you specify any sizes in physical sizes like inches, centimetres,
points or whatever, your computer uses the configured dpi to "translate"
the measurement into pixels so that it can display them on the screen.

For example, my screen is 17" (16" viewable), 1280x1024 so has a real dpi
of about 102.4. I have configured my dpi as 102.

I changed that now for me too.
It's much better - If the display on the screen is too big you loose
the ability to see small things in real life. It can't be small enough.

http://html.janfaerber.com/my_dpi_resolution.php

.... I added here a navigation window now.
I found some problems with <a href="#"> to get the very top with opera
so I took css said:
So for a font size of 12pt, the browser thinks 12pt is 1/6 of an inch (a
point is defined as 1/72 of an inch), which is exactly 17 pixels at 102
dpi. So a 12pt font is drawn as 17px on my screen.

It is always a good feeling when the validation is correct.

Jan Faerber

Sybren said:
Jan Faerber enlightened us with:

I have? My server must have had a hickups.

No, not the server. You posted it aswell in another thread
where I asked the same question - 'css background problem'.
Crossover Office is a fork of Wine, especially tweaked to run MS
Office, MS Internet Explorer and other Windows applications. It is
*not* an office suite.

I have to note that down.

Clemens

Jan said:
213.47.90.101 - - [17/Nov/2004:18:32:52 +0100] "SEARCH
/\x90\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1\x02\xb1_etc...
that is my best visitor!

Thanks to all who replyed last year to this posting ... with screen
resolution and all this things...
Today I was taking a look at my access_log file and found that somehow
the amount of visits of this 'line filler' is significantly decreasing!
In former months he came 5 - 10 times every 20 to 200 minutes. Now the
same is happening 'only' every 3 to 6 hours.