Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility: INFORMAL SURVEY

Discussion in 'C++' started by Alan Mackenzie, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. [Followup-To: gnu.emacs.help. Add your own group if you wish.]

    To all those who use (X)Emacs's CC Mode to edit C, C++, Java,
    Objective-C, Pike, AWK or IDL:

    To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find out
    how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility. If you could
    spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:

    o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
    inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?
    o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
    you happy with it?
    o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
    off?
    o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
    mode?
    o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

    Further pertinent comments are, of course, welcome. Thanks in advance
    for your time.

    --
    Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
    Email: ; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
    Alan Mackenzie, Apr 8, 2005

  2. Re: Emacs CC Mode's auto-newline facility: INFORMAL SURVEY RESULTS

    In gnu.emacs.help Alan Mackenzie <> wrote:

    > To help direct the development of CC Mode, it would be useful to find
    > out how people use the auto-newline "minor mode" facility. If you
    > could spare a little time, would you answer these questions, please:

    A big thank you to all who responded, including another 7 who answered me
    by email.

    OK: Here are the results (Sometimes with a little necessary
    interpretation), with my comments.

    > o Do you program with auto-newline switched on (e.g. do you get NLs
    > inserted automatically after typing a `;' or `{')?

    Yes: 13
    No: 6
    Wow! Lots of people use auto-newline. Like some respondents, I can't
    stand it. It shows that we need it, and it needs to be optional.

    > o Did you configure this auto-newline setting yourself, and if not, are
    > you happy with it?

    Yes: 11
    No: 4 No/Yes: 3
    No/No: 0
    Dumb double question there. Sorry.

    > o Are you aware of the key binding C-c C-a to toggle this mode on and
    > off?

    Yes: 6
    No: 13
    I counted someone who said "No, but I use the menu item" as a yes.

    > o How often do you use C-c C-a (or even C-c C-t) to toggle auto-newline
    > mode?

    Frequently:
    Seldomly: 4
    Never: 14
    Not a popular toggle. It would seem that most people either definitely
    want auto-newline or definitely don't want it. Very few seem to want to
    toggle it whilst editing; maybe because most people don't know it
    exists.

    > o In which language(s) (C, C++, ....) do you program in (X)Emacs?

    C: 14
    C++: 14
    Objective-C: 2
    Java: 7
    Pike: 0
    IDL: 1
    AWK: 0
    Most (but not all) C hackers are also C++ hackers. It's good to see that
    Objective-C and IDL Modes are actually used. But where are the Pikers and
    Awkers? (We know that there's _at least_ one of each ;-).

    Alan Mackenzie, Apr 24, 2005