Emacs equivalent of ri browser vim plugin?

Kevin Olemoh

Is there a port of the ri plugin that is available for Vim for Emacs?
For those of you who don't know what I am talking about the plugin
provides the class documentation for ruby in vim's help document
format.

You use it by typing

:Ri <search term>

and it displays the output in a split window like any other help query.

I personally prefer to use Emacs however and miss this feature since
it saves me the trouble of having a terminal open as well as the
editor. Any suggestions on how to get this sort of thing in Emacs
would be appreciated.

Ryan Davis

Is there a port of the ri plugin that is available for Vim for Emacs?
For those of you who don't know what I am talking about the plugin
provides the class documentation for ruby in vim's help document
format. [...]

Generally I always have 1-4 shells (M-x shell RET)open IN emacs and
one is almost always visible, so I'll just use that. There is/was an
emacs ri elisp wrapper written by David Black that I found somewhere
(ri.el), but it has some problems with more recent versions of emacs
that I have not yet bothered to figure out and fix. I don't think it
is supported anymore. If you'd like to try it out and can't find it,
let me know and I can send you my copy.

ruben

Is there a port of the ri plugin that is available for Vim for Emacs?
For those of you who don't know what I am talking about the plugin
provides the class documentation for ruby in vim's help document
format.

You're probably looking for this:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ri-emacs/

Not a port, but an independent project if I'm not mistaken.

HTH,
Ruben