emacs for OS X

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tuxtrax, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Tuxtrax

    Tuxtrax Guest

    Hi all

    My editor of choice on linux for python, bar none, is xemacs. I love the
    python mode that detects a python file and handles indentation and
    coloration for me automagically.

    I have been using a powerbook for a while now, and I finally found emacs
    for aqua in OS X Jaguar (10.2.8). I downloaded it from porkrind.com. The
    version of emacs is 21.3 I believe. Anyway, not only does it *not*
    detect python files automatically, but it tries to use fundamental mode
    to handle them which is a pain in the ass. I want my coloring and
    indentation back, damn it all!

    I found python-mode.el in the python distribution folder, but not only
    do I have no clue as to what to do with it, I can't find an emacs folder
    or a .emac file. Just the emac program. Any help with this would be
    greatly appreciated. If you have overcome this yourself I especially
    want to hear from you.

    In other news.....

    I have a code question for you all. This one is a real trip. I am trying
    to use NNTPLIB to download just the message numbers and "from" fields
    for any specified number of messages I want, from 1 to 10,000. So far so
    good. But when I play by the rules, I get unpredictable results. If I
    ask for 20 from headers I get one. If I ask for 500, I get a couple. If
    I ask for 6000, one time I might get 500, the next time I might get
    2,300. It is very frustrating. Here is the code soundbite:

    response, number_of_messages, first_available_message,
    last_available_message, groupname = n.group(newsgroup)

    ###############
    # Do we need to create run time files from server download?
    # This section takes care of it if it needs to be done.

    if dbuild_flag == 1 or fexist(database_shelve+".db") == 0:

    # Retrieve and print From: information
    # The NNTPlib xhdr routine returns a list of nested sublists. Each
    # sulist contains a pair - message number, requested header in string
    # form.

    message_request = getinput("\nHow many posts should I be interested
    in? [max 10,000]")

    if int(message_request) > int(number_of_messages):
    print "\nRequest exceeds current available message count.
    Adjusting to %s posts" % number_of_messages
    message_request = number_of_messages
    elif int(message_request) > 10000:
    print "\nRequest exceeds program capacity. Assuming max of 10,000
    posts, and continuing ...."
    message_request = "10000"

    last_message = str(int(first_available_message) +
    int(message_request))

    stringrequest = first_available_message+"-"+last_message

    print "\nRetrieving list of first %s newsgroup participants" %
    message_request
    print "\nI'm working ..............."

    # This is what should work reliably and is not:

    response, poster = n.xhdr("from", stringrequest)

    ##################

    Now when I make my xhdr request using the full range of messages as told
    to me by:

    response, number_of_messages, first_available_message,
    last_available_message, groupname = n.group(newsgroup)

    by changing:

    stringrequest = first_available_message+"-"+last_message

    to:

    stringrequest = first_available_message+"-"+last_available_message

    I get reliable results every time. Anyone care to help me on this one?
    It simply makes no sense that I should be able to get reliable results
    only when I ask for all 48,000 "from" message headers available from my
    newsgroup of choice. I have verified, by the way, that last_message is a
    properly formed string in the format needed by xhdr.

    thanks, and best regards,

    Mathew

    --
    ROT 13 this address to mail me:

    bar jbeq abg guerr; uvtu qrfreg zna, gura nqq - ng lnubb qbg pbz.

    Tuxtrax, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Tuxtrax

    Wezzy Guest

    Tuxtrax <> wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > My editor of choice on linux for python, bar none, is xemacs. I love the
    > python mode that detects a python file and handles indentation and
    > coloration for me automagically.
    >
    > I have been using a powerbook for a while now, and I finally found emacs
    > for aqua in OS X Jaguar (10.2.8). I downloaded it from porkrind.com. The
    > version of emacs is 21.3 I believe. Anyway, not only does it *not*
    > detect python files automatically, but it tries to use fundamental mode
    > to handle them which is a pain in the ass. I want my coloring and
    > indentation back, damn it all!
    >
    > I found python-mode.el in the python distribution folder, but not only
    > do I have no clue as to what to do with it, I can't find an emacs folder
    > or a .emac file. Just the emac program. Any help with this would be
    > greatly appreciated. If you have overcome this yourself I especially
    > want to hear from you.
    >
    > In other news.....

    I use Emacs with Panther but i think that the situation is the same.
    Download python-mode from python.org:
    http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/python-mode.el

    Compile the file

    Move both file where emacs can find them

    Open Terminal
    The .emacs file is into your home folder (tipically /Users/<youid>) so
    when you open terminal you are already in the right place

    add the following lines to your .emacs file :

    (setq auto-mode-alist
    (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
    (setq interpreter-mode-alist
    (cons '("python" . python-mode)
    interpreter-mode-alist))
    (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
    (global-font-lock-mode t)
    (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)

    (i've found this code in www.python.org)

    Now when you try to open a .py file emacs loads python-mode
    Hope this helps

    --
    Ciao
    Fabio

    Wezzy, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Tuxtrax> I found python-mode.el in the python distribution folder, but
    Tuxtrax> not only do I have no clue as to what to do with it, I can't
    Tuxtrax> find an emacs folder or a .emac file. Just the emac
    Tuxtrax> program. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If
    Tuxtrax> you have overcome this yourself I especially want to hear from
    Tuxtrax> you.

    Stick it in a directory in your Emacs load-path and byte-compile it. C-h v
    load-path RET will show you what your load-path is. M-x byte-compile-file
    RET will prompt you for a file to compile. Respond with the full path to
    your copy of python-mode.el. Finally, associate .py files with python-mode
    by adding something like

    (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))

    to your ~/.xemacs (or ~/.xemacs/init.el, depending on XEmacs version) file.

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Wezzy> Download python-mode from python.org:
    Wezzy> http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/python-mode.el

    Ancient, ancient, ancient!

    Pop up a level to

    http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/

    and you'll read:

    The current release of python-mode.el is no longer maintained on this
    website. Check the python-mode project on Sourceforge instead.

    The version you referred to (which I don't think is any longer linked to
    from the website) is 4.6. The current version is 4.54.

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Tuxtrax

    Wezzy Guest

    Skip Montanaro <> wrote:

    > Wezzy> Download python-mode from python.org:
    > Wezzy> http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/python-mode.el
    >
    > Ancient, ancient, ancient!
    >
    > Pop up a level to
    >
    > http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/
    >
    > and you'll read:
    >
    > The current release of python-mode.el is no longer maintained on this
    > website. Check the python-mode project on Sourceforge instead.

    Today when i post my message i've opened
    http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/ and followed the link to sf.net
    but the project hasn't released any file yet, so i've posted the url to
    the www.python.org version that is still online.

    > The version you referred to (which I don't think is any longer linked to
    > from the website) is 4.6. The current version is 4.54.

    i've downloaded python-mode.el few time ago so i didn't know that there
    are new versions, thanks for this info. (Anyway the old one is still
    online)

    --
    Ciao
    Fabio

    Wezzy, Apr 20, 2004

  6. >> The current release of python-mode.el is no longer maintained on this
    >> website. Check the python-mode project on Sourceforge instead.

    Wezzy> Today when i post my message i've opened
    Wezzy> http://www.python.org/emacs/python-mode/ and followed the link to
    Wezzy> sf.net but the project hasn't released any file yet, so i've
    Wezzy> posted the url to the www.python.org version that is still
    Wezzy> online.

    You've shamed me into releasing the single file which is part of the
    project. The new release is "barking-up-the-wrong-tree". If we get more
    formal with the releases perhaps I'll adopt a numeric release schedule.

    Wezzy> (Anyway the old one is still online)

    I'll see about deleting it.

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Apr 20, 2004