Emacs, makefile and Aldec Riviera-Pro

nmatringe

Hi all
I am switching to Riviera-Pro as a compiler and have trouble setting up my beloved emacs to generate makefiles.
I keep getting getting a message telling me to ask the VHDL-mode maintainer for support of Aldec (which I did. I know Reto usually answers these emails)
Can anyone help ?

Thanks
Nicolas

Nicolas Matringe

Le 23/11/2012 15:54, (e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Hi all
I am switching to Riviera-Pro as a compiler and have trouble setting up my beloved emacs to generate makefiles.
I keep getting getting a message telling me to ask the VHDL-mode maintainer for support of Aldec (which I did. I know Reto usually answers these emails)
Can anyone help ?

Ok, I found the problem.
It lies in the unit-to-file association part of the compiler setting.
I discovered on this occasion that Riviera Pro compiles all the design
units in 4 big library files instead of having 1 file per unit. Not very
convenient to make...

Nicolas

Pontus

I discovered on this occasion that Riviera Pro compiles all the design
units in 4 big library files instead of having 1 file per unit. Not very
convenient to make...

Yes,
I tried to do with proxy files, i.e. if riviera vcom succeded I would
"touch"
a .dat file (with similar path as modelsim's). I.e. something like
this in Makefile:

vcom a.vhd && touch a_primary.dat

And then build a similar dependency graph (as done by emacs
makefiles).

(I don't have the projects i tested with online at the moment, so
syntax may be off).

Riviera vcom has an option "-o" :== "order independant compilation",
which migth be handy.

I also sometimes end up with an elaboration warning that some libary
unit changed, even though
I compiled all neccesary files with "-o" (i.e. vcom -o *.vhd), that
warning might be a bug,
I haven't detailed it out yet.

A few years ago I asked aldec if they would support generation of
Makefile,
similar to vmake, and as far as I recall they said "maybe, in the
future.."

-- Pontus