Emacs/psgml/xxml crawling

Discussion in 'XML' started by Peter Flynn, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. Peter Flynn

    Peter Flynn Guest

    I've been using Emacs to edit SGML and XML since Len wrote psgml. For
    the last decade (almost) I've been using xxml-mode as well for the nice
    indenting and colorization. It's been absolutely fine, on half a dozen
    flavors of Un*x, Widnows, and MAC OSs.

    I installed my standard .emacs and assorted .els on a new laptop with a
    fresh install of Ubuntu Gutsy a few months ago, all fine. I just
    installed the identical OS from the same CD on a DELL Dimension 4550
    desktop, updated from the same repos, and added the identical .emacs and
    ..els.

    When I opened an XML document it started to parse the DTD, element 1
    (long pause) element 6 (longer pause) element 10 (etc). it took 15 min
    to parse the standard DocBook 4.4, which the laptop (and every other
    machine I use, about a dozen, assorted) whizzes through in 1-2 secs.

    Obviously there's something different, but it's not the .emacs or the
    ..els, which I copied from my own archive; and it wasn't the CD, which
    was the same one. I've check file sizes and there are no differences
    which might have indicated corruption.

    It could have been whatever packages got updated when the OS install
    completed, but they'd have been fractionally different anyway because of
    the different platform. I'm slightly unwilling to believe that this is
    down at the OS level given that the 4550 is behaving normally for all
    other apps -- only Emacs parsing a DTD is running at 1/100 normal speed,
    everything else, including the rest of Emacs, and (apparently) the rest
    of psgml, runs normally.

    Has anyone ever encountered this before, or got suggestions as to where
    to start looking?

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Jul 18, 2008

  2. Check your paths, to make sure the Emacs you're executing is the one you
    think you're executing?

    If you're getting different results, odds are you're not running the
    same code.
    Joseph J. Kesselman, Jul 19, 2008

  3. Peter Flynn escribió:
    > I've been using Emacs to edit SGML and XML since Len wrote psgml. For
    > the last decade (almost) I've been using xxml-mode as well for the nice
    > indenting and colorization. It's been absolutely fine, on half a dozen
    > flavors of Un*x, Widnows, and MAC OSs.
    >
    > I installed my standard .emacs and assorted .els on a new laptop with a
    > fresh install of Ubuntu Gutsy a few months ago, all fine. I just
    > installed the identical OS from the same CD on a DELL Dimension 4550
    > desktop, updated from the same repos, and added the identical .emacs and
    > .els.
    >
    > When I opened an XML document it started to parse the DTD, element 1
    > (long pause) element 6 (longer pause) element 10 (etc). it took 15 min
    > to parse the standard DocBook 4.4, which the laptop (and every other
    > machine I use, about a dozen, assorted) whizzes through in 1-2 secs.
    >
    > Obviously there's something different, but it's not the .emacs or the
    > .els, which I copied from my own archive; and it wasn't the CD, which
    > was the same one. I've check file sizes and there are no differences
    > which might have indicated corruption.
    >
    > It could have been whatever packages got updated when the OS install
    > completed, but they'd have been fractionally different anyway because of
    > the different platform. I'm slightly unwilling to believe that this is
    > down at the OS level given that the 4550 is behaving normally for all
    > other apps -- only Emacs parsing a DTD is running at 1/100 normal speed,
    > everything else, including the rest of Emacs, and (apparently) the rest
    > of psgml, runs normally.
    >
    > Has anyone ever encountered this before, or got suggestions as to where
    > to start looking?

    This symptom usually shows up when the DTD if fetched from Internet,
    instead of using a local copy. Have you set up an appropriate catalog on
    your laptop?

    --
    Manuel Collado - http://lml.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcollado
    Manuel Collado, Jul 19, 2008
  4. Peter Flynn

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Manuel Collado wrote:
    > Peter Flynn escribió:

    [snip]

    > This symptom usually shows up when the DTD if fetched from Internet,
    > instead of using a local copy. Have you set up an appropriate catalog on
    > your laptop?

    I should have added this...yes, it's my standard catalog, on all
    platforms, and the symptoms persist when the machine is disconnected, so
    it's not affected by Internet retrieval.

    Joseph J. Kesselman wrote:
    > Check your paths, to make sure the Emacs you're executing is the one
    > you think you're executing?

    Good point. I'll check.

    > If you're getting different results, odds are you're not running the
    > same code.

    I'm damn sure it's not the same code.
    Problem is, which bit :)

    ///Peter