Emacs, PyX, and Python together result in a dead Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Greg Novak, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Greg Novak

    Greg Novak Guest

    I realize that this is a pretty esoteric question, but I'm not even
    getting any traction on it by myself. I believe that the problem has
    to do with signal handling for programs run underneath Python, and how
    these signals may (or may not) percolate up to higher levels, which
    for me means Emacs.

    PyX is a Python package for drawing graphs
    (http://pyx.sourceforge.net). It runs TeX behind the scenes to
    produce output.

    When I run python as an inferior process under Emacs and try to use
    PyX, I get a mysterious error:

    import pyx
    g=pyx.graph.graphxy(width=8)
    g.plot(pyx.graph.data.list([[1,2],[2,4],[3,9]],x=1,y=2))
    g.writeEPSfile('gsn');

    results in:

    Process Python hangup

    and the Python process is dead. My suspicion is that this has
    something to do with the fact that PyX is running TeX behind the
    scenes, but I can't confirm that. Another useful piece of information
    is that if I run a plain old inferior shell under Emacs and then run
    Python, it works. Perusing the python-mode.el, shell-mode.el, and
    comint.el source files didn't produce an obvious reason for the
    different behavior. Nor can I find the snippet of code that's
    actually producing this error message.

    I'm running emacs 21.3, the stock python-shell.el mode, and PyX 0.7.
    I run Python with 'M-x py-shell'

    If anyone sees fit to reply to this, please copy to my e-mail address
    as well, novak at ucolick.org.

    Many thanks,
    Greg
    Greg Novak, Nov 18, 2004